Gold Standard

Dota General

Hello and welcome to Wulff's guide to supporting in the 4k bracket!

Chances are you've been forced into a support role during the draft of your game, because you didn't exactly know what core hero you wanted to play and were too late to lock in a core position. You're obviously not happy about this, but at least you're not fucking retarded enough to pick a jungling core like Lifestealer or Legion Commander instead, good on you!

So now you have to pick a support, but you have no idea what support you should be picking, because you've literally never played anything other than mid or safelane in your last 1000 games. Ideally you want to pick something with a stun, because stuns are good. You also want to pick something with ranged auto-attacks because it makes winning your lane easier and gives you more room to harass the enemy laners. But who cares about that right? Dota 2 is about having fun and not about creating a well-rounded draft that can work cohesively to achieve victory. So you pick some shitty fucking support hero that barely synergizes at all with the carry in your lane. Think something dank as fuck like Zet support Xd

Then you load in as your hero of choice and happily declare "me support ;:D" as you buy a courier and no wards, as you need that money for as many Gauntlets of Strength as possible. Besides you bought the courier, that's enough supporting for the first 10 minutes of the game! What you don't know is that your team is collectively wishing for you to suffer from a fucking stroke as they look at your 2x Gauntlets of Strength, 4x Tangos and 1x Salve inventory, but what do they know, they're probably <4.2k shitters lmao.

You then proceed to wander into your lane, not bothering to assist your team in securing one of the two powered-up Bounty Runes that spawn at 00:00 and also not bothering to at least block your creepwave so you can have a more favourable laning experience when the two waves collide. No, you just stand yourself under the tower and alt-tab because you have to get your loud and obnoxious music playing. It's literally impossible to enjoy Dota 2 without it.

Now comes the real bread and butter of supporting - The laning stage! A point in the game where supports are arguably the strongest heroes on the map. So do you want to know how to properly support your hardcarry in his lane? Of course you do! Here's the trick: You sit half a screen behind him, not bothering to use the regen you brought to lane in order to trade and harass the enemy laner(s). Instead you just let them walk all over your poor little carry as he burns through his regen in less than two minutes due to the heavy harass damage he is receiving. But that's fine, as long as you're not taking any damage and not feeding, you're doing your job! Bonus points for randomly casting your spells at the enemy without any warning to your lane partner(s) making it impossible to coordinate any sort of kill-setup because you're too busy bopping your head to the sick beatz yo!

If you want to take it to the next level, you can also spend the laning stage aimlessly wandering between lanes looking to make yourself useful, despite the fact that all you're really doing is weakening the lane you were supposed to be supporting and also not getting any experience, leaving you terribly underlevelled and absolutely fucking worthless come the midgame.

Finally the epitome of supporting is attaining the coveted 30-minute Hand of Midas meta timing. Screw wards, screw upgraded courier, screw boots - Hand of Midas is what it is all about baby. If you get this item before 30 minutes, you're absolutely fucking sorted, I promise. There's no way you can lose the game at that point.

PY9KSjk.png

Goddamn man. I haven't won a single ranked game since I calibrated (at 2.4k). Most of the games I didn't play too well but this last one I felt like I was on fire, then we couldn't push at all against Techies and Ember. At least the team morale was good, otherwise I probably would've killed myself about 50 minutes in

PtELxxU.png

Literally best game. I didn't expect Octarine Core on Venomancer to be so effective that you can endure quite a lot of damage while the DoT is active.

In case you are wondering about those four divines, at least 3 of them were dropped by Ember.

I really really want to get more into Venomancer because he was the first hero I got good with all those years ago - What's your strategy? I often find that if he doesn't have a strict advantage to the enemy, his DoT is straight up ignorable.

On 21/2/2016 at 1:14 AM, Rammite said:

I really really want to get more into Venomancer because he was the first hero I got good with all those years ago - What's your strategy? I often find that if he doesn't have a strict advantage to the enemy, his DoT is straight up ignorable.

I think Venomancer is a hero that can be approached from a couple of different ways. The most obvious one is playing Venomancer in the support role, which is what I think most people are familiar with. The big issues that Venomancer suffer from, is that he has an attack range which is average at best, poor base movement speed and outside of his Agility growth, his stat gains are subpar. Another glaring problem is that the hero has no hard disables.

As such the hero falls into this weird kinda middle-ground between viable support and viable carry. 

Now of course you can swing the odds in your favour by picking Venomancer in the right game, against the right heroes. Despite Venomous Gale having undergone significant changes in the past 1-2 years of Dota patches, it is still an incredibly strong slow. I think it might still be the most potent slow effect at level one, but I could be wrong on that. So with that in mind, the old pubstomping lanes á la Juggernaut + Venomancer are still viable, albeit less so than in the past, because both Blade Fury and Venomous Gale have received nerfs since Dota 2 launched. The point is: Pick heroes that can make something out of the strong slow from Venomous Gale and watch as Venomancer's viability as a support skyrockets.

Then of course you can pick Venomancer to both push and/or counter-push, not to mention make life a living hell for enemy heroes that are reliant on their Blink Daggers to get good initation. Plague Wards are without question Venomancers signature ability and I really can't imagine many builds where this spell is not maxed out as early as possible. You just have to remember to get creative with it. Use it to scout, use it to block escape paths, deny runes with it and so on.

Outside of being a lane support, I think Venomancer has a place in the middle lane. However I wouldn't just idly pick him and go mid every game, as I can guarantee you that a lot of popular mids would absolutely demolish him (Invoker and OD spring to mind). But if you recognize that the enemy has picked a weak laner for mid (Pudge or maybe Shadow Fiend. Even TA, just because your dots really screw with her), then you can most likely go ahead and dominate the mid lane without too much issue.

Also with the latest rework to how Veil of Discord is built (no longer a recipe, but 2x Robe of the Magi instead) that item is honestly super dank on Venomancer. The Helm of Iron Will gives nice sustain for lane and the Robes of the Magi really help Venomancer and his shitty mana pool.

An item I would recommend AVOIDING on Venomancer is Mekansm. The item used to be a staple for the hero, but after receiving a few increases to its mana cost (Its now 225 mana to activate I think), it's really hard to make it work due to your abysmal int gain. I'd say maybe if you are mid and you're actually able to get some farm and plan on going Guardian Greaves then sure, but other than that - nah man.

Position 1 Axe is probably viable now

PA was and still will be a shit hero

AM will probably be building Vanguard now

WK will be even more unplayable vs Diffusal heroes

Drums are back to being meh

Octameme Core is less of a meme now

Lifestealer will no longer become an Ancient Creep at level 6-7

Lifestealer is probably going to be pretty strong regardless

Terrorblade might honestly be a meme hero this version

Invoker probably won't build Ring of Aquila anymore

Sange & Yasha will probably be core on Strength heroes

Silver Edge might be core on Slark now

Veil of Discord is now slightly less dope, but still pretty dope

Dragon Lance Enchantress is worse now, but still probably core on the hero

Bloodstone might actually be worth buying for the first time in like a year

Echo Sabre is probably going to be less good than people think, but it still sounds hilarious on heroes like Spirit Breaker.

Expect your mid player to cry at you to buy him Tomes of Knowledge if you're position 4/5

Armlet is really fucking good now

Bloodseeker, Storm Spirit and Mirana Aghanim's Scepter are all extremely underwhelming and you probably shouldn't buy them

I still refuse to believe that the reworked Earthshaker Aghanim's Scepter is actually real, fuck you Snowtoad

Hurricane Pike is probably Drow Ranger's new best friend, despite subpar stats

Invoker is less strong, but still strong.

Macropyre continues to get buffed despite all the other issues Jakiro has as a hero

Kunkka is a lot better in lane now with the base armor buff

Lich might be good cancer now

Morphling Replicate buff is actually pretty significant

Necrophos will now be less obnoxious to play against... Slightly less

Nyx Assassin continues to regenerate health at an absurd rate

Omniknight got nerfed (FUCKING FINALLY)

Puck now goes too fast

Riki got some decent buffs, the hero probably still won't be viable

Aghanim's Scepter Shadow Fiend might be a real thing now

I still can't figure out what the fuck IceFrog wants Silencer to do in this game

Viper can now build Skadi and stack it with his Poison Attack... Think about that

I'm confused by Mirana's aghs.

Is it the same as if you used Starstorm by pressing the button? It runs on a different cooldown, does it drains mana?

Honestly I wish it added a slight homing effect to the arrow instead.

37 minutes ago, Moby said:

I'm confused by Mirana's aghs.

Is it the same as if you used Starstorm by pressing the button? It runs on a different cooldown, does it drains mana?

Honestly I wish it added a slight homing effect to the arrow instead.

It causes a Starstorm spell to happen around you every 8 seconds, provided there are any enemies (I think it might just be heroes, but I am not sure) in vision and range. It has no cast point (unlike Mirana's regular Starstorm, which does have a short cast point), costs no mana and is independent of your actual Starstorm spell in terms of cooldown. I honestly didn't think it would be very good, but after seeing it action, it's decent imo.

BOSTON MAJOR HYPE AAAAAAA

I've been following the Elimination Mode 2.0, some good games. Teams really like bloodseeker, and Sunsfan noted that every team that DC scrimmed against in the past few months has tried Bloodseeker. BS solo safelane, mid, pos 4 jungle roamer, every sort of role. He genuinely thinks it'll be part of the flavor-of-the-tournament.

So, what about that new update? Not like I've played Dota in one year or so.

Some drastic changes. New map, 4 rune spots, Diablo-like buff shrines

The new models for Slardar and Viper look good. New Enigma is fucking ripped.

Some new Aghs, some new skills, talents thing.

And Goku may not be in Smash, but at lesat he is in Dota now. And every other MOBA.