Stackbabbin' Bumscags

Tabletop-RPG Corner

Unlike the binary choices of Law-Chaos and Good/Evil that are commonly used, the NFSWOD Alignment System offers more depth to summarizing your character’s moral, existential, and hunger alignment. Works like plotting a point on a 3D graph, (x,y,z)

J’Roarg the orc could be very violent and terrifying, wanting more and more, but also loves what he does. He’s primarily Scungry and waxes towards 1-800-Are-You-Slappy. (6,-5,7)

Thorson Lighningbeard the Dwarf is s retired badass who spends his days teaching smithery to local apprentices. He’s well-off and lacks want in his life and is approachable. However he misses his deceased wife dearly. He’s primarily Satisfull but crappy due to his grief. (-6,7,4)

this is is very logical, serious, and well-thought-out

Pretty much. "Online" is a good one, but there's usually an RPG community of some sort anywhere you go. Comic shops tend to double as RPG stores, and the "Big Two" franchises (D&D and Pathfinder) have their own Organized Play (Adventurer's League and Pathfinder Society, respectively) events scheduled all over.

I favor Pathfinder over D&D 5e, and wouldn't honestly recommend Pathfinder Society unless you have no other option, but as a way to get into the game and play a bit it's there.

Organised play events? Like the creators of the game watch over how everything is done and stuff is reported to them (similar to how Bushiroad runs major weiss tournaments)?

Sort of? They're organized by volunteers but the general idea is that your character and Chronicle Sheets can be used at any sanctioned PFS table, tracking your progress and leveling without the need to play at the same table with the same group every week.

And the info is reported back to Paizo, who primarily use it to rebalance the game to the detriment of everyone but PFS players, but that's a separate matter.

i think part of the problem is that the class thingy he brought deals a lot of damage, basically as much as it wants, at no personal risk

more damage than sledge, at basically no personal risk, with a much higher chance of hitting pjsalt

Paizo's been absolute garbage lately, my PDF of Ultimate WIlderness took nearly 20 minutes to download-every time I hit the link, it just took me to the messageboards.  I think one of the two guinea pigs that power their servers died last week.

Also, I don't know what I was expecting, but the Shifter was super underwhelming.

Is it? Damn. I had high hopes for it. Stephen Radney-Mcfarland designed it (as far as I know) and he did a real good job on the Investigator (even if I did have to get temp banned for repeatedly criticizing its many issues during the playtest. Hm.).

You willing to share the PDF? Kinda wanted to write a review for it.

Sure thing! Just sent you a link on Steam with it.  If it doesn't work (or if anyone else wants it) just let me know.

I think having high hopes for the Shifter is really what did it in-is it a shitty class? No.  Is it viable? Ehhhhh.  Druid's a better shapeshifter, and if you like the whole "taking on the aspects of animals" thing, just roll up a hunter and have your first action be slaughtering your pet.  And...that's about it.  It's a mishmash of druid and ranger abilities, just like Hunter was.  But unlike Hunter, it does exactly one thing really, really boringly.  I'm pretty disappointed, to be honest.

I think calling it "not shitty" is well overstating its use. This class was the first class not playtested and it fucking SHOWS. The Shifter is a stroooooooooooooooooooooooong contender for worst class in the game. It has no mechanical niche. No conceptual niche. No interesting abilities (half its class features are copy-pasted from Druid, Ranger, or Hunter with a find and replace done for Shifter). It is literally a worse shapeshifter than if you just took the Skinwalker race and slapped some d10/full BaB hit dice with no other class features on it. It is a FAR worse shapeshifter than the Shapeshifter ranger, Beatsmorph Alchemist (with added sneak attack from Vivisectionist sold separately), the core Druid,  Brownfur Transmuter Arcanist, or even the otherwise supremely lakluster Metamorph Alchemist (the archetype that loses spellcasting and 80% of its other features for X/day Beast Shape and Monstrous Physique).

I went into this book willing to give Paizo another shot. I had actually planned to buy this book once it came out, I just wanted a quick look at it to sate my curiosity. Dodged a bullet there. Paizo really doesn't deserve any more second chances from me.

You know what, you're right-I went into this going "At least it's a full BAB class".  But what I completely forgot is that natural attacks don't get fucking iteratives.  And this class is based almost solely around using your claws as your primary weapons.  So the entire selling point of the class, the full-BAB shapeshifter, is completely fucking pointless!  Either you can use your full BAB and ignore your claws, or you play how the class is supposed to and ignore most of your damage output! What the fuck was Paizo thinking here?!

Sent you the link, Dual! Let me know if it worked.

The book isn't completely horrible, I just found the Sylvan Trickster rogue archetype, it's pretty great.  You replace Trapfinding with wild empathy, and uncanny dodge gets replaced with resist nature's lure.  But the really great part is that you can gain witch hexes in place of rogue talents, which is freaking awesome.  I might try playing one, actually.

Interesting thing from Ultimate Wilderness that I saw mentioned on the forums a few times that you guys might want to know-"Any alternate class feature described as altering an existing class feature otherwise functions as that original class feature and is considered to be that class feature for the purpose of meeting any requirements or prerequisites, even if that feature is renamed to fit a new theme."

Also, People of the Wastes is a pretty great book.  There's a few really good archetypes in there, mostly revolving around guns and stuff.  My personal favorites are the rogue archetype that lets you hide guns on your person and gives you a small amount of free bullets every day, and the alchemist archetype that basically turns your daily bombs into special bullets that act like bombs.  Paizo's been doing pretty well lately with fun, mechanically solid archetypes.  Now if only they'd get their shit together with classes...

Making my first ever paladin for a mythic Kingmaker game. We haven't even started playing and I've already managed to be a self-righteous buzzkill.

Right now we're in the recruitment/idea stage. I wanted to try playing a paladin of Sarenrae, with a more friendly and personable demeanor than the stereotypical Lawful Stupid guy. And since it's a "no evil alignment" game, there shouldn't be too many internal conflicts, right?

But then some guy starts asking if he can be a necromancer with a neutral alignment. He's been arguing semantics with the GM and the other prospective players for a few days, on what exact forms of reanimating the dead count as "evil". But they're still undead, and my deity and I hate the undead! So do I demand that this guy make a different character, or risk becoming an ex-paladin as soon as I start fighting alongside a pack of zombies?

Sarenrae is semi-ok with undead, as far as I know.  Pharasma is the only god I can think of with a real anti-zombie streak, so you should be okay there.  That being said, most animate spells do have the evil descriptor, which means that depending on your GM's perspective, can mean that after a few casts of them, they straight up become evil.  Neutral necromancers are one of the most hotly debated topics in Pathfinder, it's kind of ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Idiot Cube said:

Making my first ever paladin for a mythic Kingmaker game. We haven't even started playing and I've already managed to be a self-righteous buzzkill.

Right now we're in the recruitment/idea stage. I wanted to try playing a paladin of Sarenrae, with a more friendly and personable demeanor than the stereotypical Lawful Stupid guy. And since it's a "no evil alignment" game, there shouldn't be too many internal conflicts, right?

But then some guy starts asking if he can be a necromancer with a neutral alignment. He's been arguing semantics with the GM and the other prospective players for a few days, on what exact forms of reanimating the dead count as "evil". But they're still undead, and my deity and I hate the undead! So do I demand that this guy make a different character, or risk becoming an ex-paladin as soon as I start fighting alongside a pack of zombies?

Lead him to the legendary Head of Vecna.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.