Sign in to follow this  
The Irish Demopan

Doctor Who

Fuck you Moffat, for real. Mini-rant about Hell Bent incoming.

You know, I was fine with the Doctor's return to Gallifrey being overall anti-climactic. That's kind of par for the course for Moffat episodes. Too much circlejerking, not enough real substance.

But you really had to go and fuck up what was probably the best episode in a while? Really? Did you have to go in and purposefully shit on the entire point of Face the Raven?

I mean, fuck personal responsibility, fuck your main character coming to grips with the fact that their thrill seeking has finally gotten them killed, facing their death with dignity and aplomb. Fuck that kind of character development and arc wrapping right up its slippery fucking ass, because instead we could resurrect the character and reward her stupidity and deathwish with immortality, a hot new girlfriend, and a FLYING FUCKING SPACE DINER.

Complete horseshit all around, jesus christ.

Edited by Rynjin

I kinda liked Hell Bent, actually. I didn't at first, but after a few days I'm okay with it.

Clara still has to face the raven in the end-it's a fixed point in time.  Sure, she might get there the long way round (one last Clara=Doctor parallel for ya there) but in the end, she still gets there.  The real point of Hell Bent was to make it so that Capaldi wouldn't (and couldn't) try to get her back.  This is the man who punched through a wall made of diamond.  Do you honestly, HONESTLY believe that he would let something like death stop him from getting Clara back? Nope.  In order for the Doctor to have closure, they had to make Clara 100% for real honestly I mean it guys beyond saving.  Suspended in time between her last heartbeat and the moment of her death seems...honestly like a fairly logical answer to that problem.

Hoooooly shit. Moffat's stepping down after series 10. Wow.

EDIT: Also, no Doctor Who in 2016 besides the Christmas special.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Edited by alexgndl

11 hours ago, Rynjin said:

Given how his influence has driven the writing into the shitter in recent years, good riddance. I don't care how long of a legacy that is.

Funny how the show's total viewing figures are the highest they've ever been.

So, it's been a year and a half since the last episode, give or take. The new one was...fine. The monster of the week made no god damn sense and I'm thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to making a drinking game for every time a shy, timid girl gains nigh-omnipotence or some other superpower in this show, but I like Bill, I like Capaldi, and everything that didn't have to do with the rock stupid plot was fun.

nu series is pretty good so far

The stories have been really flimsy but the characters have almost completely made up for it. Bill is a breath of fresh air, Capaldi is still my favorite and the Nardoctor is my new OTP. I'm guessing once these three have had time to establish their relationship the stories will be able to add a little more emotional weight but honestly, Series 10 could just continue to be "stupid but with great character work" and I'd be pretty okay with it. 

For some reason a lot of the music seems fucking weak this series, though. Maybe I just got used to the darker tone of 8 and 9 but there have been several times over the last few episodes where I've been distracted by the score. It's just trying so hard to be more accessible and I don't think it works, and they keep recycling the theme from Series 6 to the point where it's obnoxious.

21 hours ago, Rynjin said:

I continue to enjoy Bill. She's my favorite Companion since Donna (and I really liked Donna).

Same here. I like any companion that doesn't immediately fawn over the Doctor and gives him a little trouble.

So I really love Seven and Ace.

And I mean I really love Seven and Ace.

12 and Bill are my new favourite combo. Moffat's best season, 2nd and 3rd best episodes ever, after Heaven Sent. 

That fucking final scene.

Finally caught up on the season.

Solid 9/10 season, the best in years IMO. I think I liked all but one episode this season (I thought Smile was super dumb in a bad way). I remain disappointed that Capaldi is leaving after the Christmas special because damn it he's such a great actor and I love him in the role. With the double whammy of Bill seemingly leaving too I hope their replacements can live up to the standards set by this season.

I was considering not even watching this season after how much I'd either hated or been exceedingly lukewarm on the last three or four but I'm glad I ended up doing it. It's kinda renewed my enthusiasm for the series.

I knew there were going to be "a gril? doctor who ruined!!!" people but I'm pretty shocked at how many there are right now.

I can 100% understand the argument that the BBC is only making the character a woman to pander to a certain audience, but that doesn't mean a woman wouldn't play a fictional alien just as well.