Sign in to follow this  
Razputin

Favorite game Mosaic

ET was actually a pretty innovative game.  As far as I'm aware it's the first extensive use of context sensitive controls.

Unsolicited opinions and queries:

On 11/2/2018 at 3:06 AM, Moby said:

Undertale | Fallout New Vegas | Warframe

A Hat In Time | Castlevania SOTN | Hulk Ultimate Destruction

Ghost Trick | Dragon Quest 8 | GTA San Andreas

Solid picks, decent balance of old and new. 3/3 on the left ones but I've never played any of the others save for a little of Fallout and GTASA.

What makes you pick Dragon Quest 8? I've been sort of interested in this series but, as with FF, sequels that go into the double digits make for an intimidating challenge to find an entry point to the series. I know extremely little about the Dragon Quest games apart from the little slime dudes.

-100 points for lack of effort, but 5 points for putting names down, since this is one of the few 3x3s I can actually look up all the games from.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:46 AM, Snatcher Cube said:

Oh boy, this thing again!

Again, decent choices that align with my own tastes but really man? I apologise if you misunderstood, but not a single choice from 2013 carries over...? Maybe I'm on the wrong side of things here, thinking nostalgia counts towards what makes a game your 'favourite', but jeez. I do see that all of these are recent, and maybe that's what you were going for. But putting TF2 there if that's the case? Just confuses me.

But yeah, great indie choices. Nice to see Celeste in particular. Doom, SMO and BoTW are three indisputable big boys that I can't really argue against. You're absolutely right about trap link too.

Still haven't played superhot because I have NEVER seen it drop below £7 in a sale, which is usually the tipping point for me in terms of 'huh, gameplay looks interesting, worth a shot'. The only time I played it is in VR at a friends house and it was probably the coolest game we ended up playing. I just have the feeling the game will get old extremely quickly. 

I have heard great things about Yakuza 0, and I will probably snap it up during the next sale. 

200 points for the theme,

20 points for smug hatgirl,

69 points for gerudo link,

1 point for DS2 (brave!!!), 

-100 points for lack of loyalty and all those games that you've cast to the gutter without a second thought

On 11/2/2018 at 4:25 AM, Raison d'être said:

No theme because I'm a lazy asshole and I challenge you to tie this shit together.

Hmmm alright, not my cup of tea anywhere across the board here, and what you lack seemingly in platform variety you make up for in genres. Literally 8 games I've never played and TF2.

Interesting middle pick, though. Not because I know the slightest bit about it, it just intrigues me from the image alone. Looks like it would be more trouble than it's worth to get into, however.

200 points for telling me to go fuck myself on the theme,

50 points for the game name being visible in every square but TF2,

6 points for describing your love/hate relationships with some of these games, making it clear your heart was involved in picking them,

-500 points for the etf2l heavy

On 11/2/2018 at 5:16 AM, Huff said:

Rude to wait till I’m asleep to post

Fuck you buddy, your fault for not posting before bed in the first place.

HMM I wonder if there's anything on this list I like, HUH? Maybe, I don't know, over half of the fucking games???

Interesting changes in taste since 2012 and 2015 (oddly specific time gaps between these three). Nothing carrying over from the former...but 4 isn't bad for a 3 year gap.

Still can't break my way into sunshine, despite it being lent to me for several months. Maybe I'll wait until I can come over to Germany one sweet summer when you're not on a boat and we can play it through together.

I will be playing AA soon, and I don't see any reason why I won't grab the witness if it ever goes on sale.

300 points for the flawless theme,

100 points for excellent taste and likemindedness,

1 point because you're my best bud,

10 points for game titles,

but -20 points because you didnt highlight them with opposing coloured backing like me!!!!!

and -50 points for betraying hamtaro

On 11/2/2018 at 5:32 AM, hugthebed2 said:

All of these games here are games that I have played for a long time and would not be against playing right this very instant.

Good criteria.

Again, lots of games I'm unfamiliar with, probably due to not owning a Gamecube or dreamcast. Lots of multiplayer games though, which is neat, I wish there was that many I would consider to be among my faves that I still played, so it's nice that you're still having fun with all of those, I'm a little envious.

Quick rundown on the modding scene of OoT? I have no idea how that would even work.

50 points for the cute girl,

20 points for the abundance of colour,

30 points for your nice written experiences for each game,

-1000 points for a MOBA REEEEEE

On 11/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, A 1970 Corvette said:

My criteria for a good game is a game that I can sink hours at a time into. 

Again that's understandable. I might not want to go back and replay Minish Cap, as an example, right this second, but I still get the itching for it and would recommend it to someone who was interested in playing that sort of game. I think that's what makes them my favourites. Not the fact that they're better than other games (like I said, gen 2 pokemon kinda sucks objectively) but they still mean the most to me out of the hundreds of vidya I've played through. Maybe they just hit me at the right time in my life and when I was feeling just the right emotions, but they still manage to hit those notes even today, even if I have my grips with them from an objective point of view.

Anyway, decent choices with a lack of variety but they are all good games, so you do you! Despite my inability to enjoy planetside it's cool to see that it has the depth to keep you invested for that long. And yeah, BoTW is so fundamentally different to the others that I can understand why someone who doesn't like the series could play it for hours on end. 

Both you and my friend Josh talking about odst has made me really want to go back and play it again, because honestly I don't remember the slightest thing about it except the horde mode multiplayer. I will have to dig out the disc from the pile of old games in my closet. Actually I just went and did that and found it...but maybe I should just watch a longplay of it....

-100 points for laziness!!!!

101 points for contributing and giving your opinions!!!!

18 hours ago, Kraszu said:

-snip-

Haven't played many of these but they are probably good!! I don't know what a few of them are but I like that little worm dude!!!!

10 points for games i know,

10 points for games i've never played

20 points for HMM3 because I've heard that's good!

-20 points for uh...no gushing. i like gushing. wanna hear you gush about worms.

18 hours ago, Razputin said:

The site I posted in the OP refused to take some pictures and cropped the civ V logo Kraszu also used wrong the entire time so I kinda gave up

I kinda just made mine from scratch in gimp, it let me drag stuff around easily under a top grid layer.

Good ass top line babey, anyone with HGSS in their top 10 is a supreme taste overlord in my books, and I agree that Furi showing up is a good thing. Man I love that game.

You seem to be the forefront on metroid around here so is there any recomendations for getting into it, considering the jpg shown at last years e3 might give me a third reason to validate my switch purchase? I assume that's Prime, I am completely clueless on the series apart from the GDQ memes.

Also does Black Mesa have any cool alien environments considering you say Xen is missing? Seems like a bummer to me if not, but yeah I haven't kept up with that since it was announces.

I have no idea who that dude on the throne is. 

100 bonus points for being the thread creator,

500 points for heart gold,

100 points for retaining a decent number of your original mosaic,

-50 points for no psychonauts...what happened man.... :(

50 points if the throne dude is from psychonauts. I actually have no idea.

17 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Rep for anyone who recognizes all 9.

I recognise...two? And I haven't played them? INtrigued by the cat though.

90 points for obscurity,

150 points for the cat,

-200 points for SNOOTINESS, INJOKES, OBSCURITY, AND LACK OF TITLES is for the ANIME mosaics, wheres your GUSHING???? WHO IS THE CAT???

1 hour ago, Silent said:

Again that's understandable. I might not want to go back and replay Minish Cap, as an example, right this second, but I still get the itching for it and would recommend it to someone who was interested in playing that sort of game. I think that's what makes them my favourites. Not the fact that they're better than other games (like I said, gen 2 pokemon kinda sucks objectively) but they still mean the most to me out of the hundreds of vidya I've played through. Maybe they just hit me at the right time in my life and when I was feeling just the right emotions, but they still manage to hit those notes even today, even if I have my grips with them from an objective point of view.

Anyway, decent choices with a lack of variety but they are all good games, so you do you! Despite my inability to enjoy planetside it's cool to see that it has the depth to keep you invested for that long. And yeah, BoTW is so fundamentally different to the others that I can understand why someone who doesn't like the series could play it for hours on end. 

Both you and my friend Josh talking about odst has made me really want to go back and play it again, because honestly I don't remember the slightest thing about it except the horde mode multiplayer. I will have to dig out the disc from the pile of old games in my closet. Actually I just went and did that and found it...but maybe I should just watch a longplay of it....

-100 points for laziness!!!!

101 points for contributing and giving your opinions!!!!

Firefight was one of the selling points but ironically I never really played it because at the time I was a foreeveralone and was afraid of making randos on XBL sad so I stuck to the singleplayer and played the crap out of it (got all the audio logs and bonus caches wooooo!). I still recommend it though!! Unless you don't care for Halo 3-style gameplay because in that case maybe watching it is better.

I feel like the "games that had an impact on you" thing is its own 3x3 entirely. Maybe I'll make one of those next chance I get. That would probably have a lot more variety on it, because I only really can no-life specific types of games. But I like no-lifing. Just look at my stats from the 4x XP on PlanetSide a week ago.

Are you serious Silent, you never played old 2D Worms? Is that even possible?

Well let me tell you about this gem of the simpler times, before everyone had broadband internet (or even internet period) and multiplayer games were played on same PC by muliple players.

Worms Armageddon is a 2d turmbased game where your goal is to exterminate enemy worms using huge arsenal of weapons (some based on real ones, some absolutely cartoonish like super sheep, grandma and holy hand grenade). Terain is destructable, and littered with barrels of flammable liquid and mines. Traversing terrain was one of the arts to master, along with precision grenade throws and using wind that is randomized every turn as an asset to hit targets otherwise not possible with bazooka. There is quick match mode , campaign, trials mode, and meat of the game, multiplayer.  Multiplayer is highly customizable, allowing you to alter game rules, choose existing or create your own custom maps, and create your own team. And best thing about the whole thing was that your opponent was sitting right next to you, laughting at your misplays, begging for mercy for his favourite worms, commenting etc. 

A real party game for people bored with board games, fair, easy to play, hard to master. Armageddon is actually available on Steam, and it works great on modern systems.

As for my mossaic, for clarity games were (from top left): TF2, Danganronpa, CS 1.6, Worms Armageddon, Civ 5, GTA Vice City, Witcher 3, HoMM 3, and NFS Underground 2.

Edited by Kraszu

As long as everyone's critiquing Silent's critiques, I might as well complain too...

Aw man, I can't complain because my mosiac was just too darn good that it didn't receive a criticism. Either that or my list was just so shit it wasn't worthy of acknowledgement...

I'm kinda thinking it was the latter.

Edited by LordAIDS Monkey

1 hour ago, Silent said:

I recognise...two? And I haven't played them? INtrigued by the cat though.

90 points for obscurity,

150 points for the cat,

-200 points for SNOOTINESS, INJOKES, OBSCURITY, AND LACK OF TITLES is for the ANIME mosaics, wheres your GUSHING???? WHO IS THE CAT???

+Rep for trying.

Anyway, since it's unlikely that anyone would get all nine, here's the answers and my reasoning:

Top Left: Heroes of Might and Magic 3: This game is just magical in how long you can continue to go with it.  Unlike many strategy games with a lot of potential playtime, it's pretty easy to pick up and get going.  All you really need to know is that you have heroes who go around doing stuff, towns where you build stuff and get guys, and need to get resources to do all of this.  Once you've picked up a few pointers (like having secondary heroes who handle tasks like moving troops around) you're good and can easily play through the initial campaigns.

However, if you really get into the strategies of the game, there's all sorts of fun and broken strategies that you can do.  Playing maps that seem literally impossible, or doing dumb challenges like winning without attacking with any of your creatures ever, are possible if you know the mechanics well enough.  All of this is aided by the great random map generator (at least if you have the Armageddon's Blade expansion, which wasn't include with the HD edition, but is included in the complete edition on gog.  There's also been a very active modding community that has been working with the game for decades, creating both fun trash and also some really good stuff (like Horn of the Abyss, which feels like a legitimate expansion, and the HD mod which updates the game far better than the official HD edition).

Top Center: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - Pretty much any Nihon Falcom game is great, and the trails games are a cut above their usual quality.  Trails in the Sky SC in particular is probably their greatest moment.  The first chapter was already an already solid RPG in terms of story and mechanics.  The second chapter takes everything done in the first game and brings it to new levels.  All the main characters are great both in terms of personality and in terms of how they are used in battle.  The plot is full of twists and turns, some of which completely caught me off guard.  The ending is incredibly cathartic.

One of the best parts of the game is how much it does to create an engaging world.  Many of the random npcs of each town have their own mini storylines which unfold over the course of the series.  In the first chapter you visit each town once per chapter.  In the second chapter you return to them on multiple occasions.  In theory this should be something to be held against the game, since it means that many of the assets are repeats from the first game.  But the game does add basically a full game's worth of new areas on top of the old ones, and even the old ones are developed in new and interesting ways.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd and Trails of Cold Steel are also good, but not quite as good as SC.

Top Right: Serious Sam 3: BFE: All the Serious Sam games are fun, even the lackluster ones like Serious Sam 2 or Serious Sam Double D.  The top three are definitely the "encounter games," i.e. The First Encounter (Serious Sam 1), The Second Encounter (Basically an expansion to Serious Sam 1) and Before First Encounter (Serious Sam 3).  These games are based entirely around throwing enemies at you in new and interesting ways.  Often this means ridiculously large hordes, and this is part of what pulls 3 ahead of the originals, especially in the crazy last stage.  But all of them also throw other scenarios at you, like dealing with smaller numbers of enemies in cramped quarters or after you've had your guns taken away.  Serious Sam 3 was criticized on launch for selling out to the modern shooter sensibilities, since the early levels involve fighting zombie enemies which are basically modern soldiers, but this is just another way that the series tries to mix things up.  By the time you get to the sphinx you'll have seen plenty old school monster killing action.

All the monsters are varied to fight, the sound design is consistently great and lets you easily tell what you're up against, the weapons are varied and each shine in a different situation. One of the best single player shooter experiences there is.  And it's also fun in multiplayer.  One of the best things about the whole series is that you can easily set up split screen multiplayer on a single computer, which can then be combined with LAN or internet play, which makes it very easy to play with friends.

Center Left: Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Simulator: This is a game about being a king in a generic fantasy kingdom.  As usual, your kingdom is under some threat or other (such as an evil wizard, a dragon, a witch's curse, goblin raids, decadence caused by elves and the thieves' guild, etc.).  But since you are not an adventurer, you can't do anything directly about this.  Instead you need to recruit heroes to do this for you.  But this isn't an RTS game where you then give those heroes orders.  They have their own AI priorities and will basically do whatever the hell they want.  Sometimes that can be helpful to you, such as how rangers will explore the map without being prompted (though this also means that they will often be exploring the map when your whole kingdom is going up in flames).  Ofter times they'll prefer to waste all their money on alcohol and elven whores.  You need to influence them to do the right thing by assigning bounties, getting heroes who naturally might work together (like getting clerics to heal your warriors), and by providing the services to prompt them to prepare themselves and be in the right places (such as having a blacksmith to give them enough armor not to die right away, or putting a tavern next to a monster lair so when they decide to get drunk they'll have to kill the monsters first).

The whole experience is somewhat similar to Reccettear in how you play a very different role than you usually do in this sort of world.  The reason why Majesty is in my block rather than Reccettear is simply depth.  There's tons of missions to complete, as well as the ability to make fine tuned random missions, and there are many different strategies that you can try (for example, if you recruit elves the dwarves and gnomes refuse to join you, and similar with each of the other two demihuman races).  It's also a much harder game at the top end, adding to the replayability, while still being approachable at the early stages.

True Center: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Probably the only game in my block that everyone knows.  As such I probably don't have to say much about it.  What I will say is what I particularly like: how this game is set up to kick your ass at the start, but at the same time teach you the skills to do some really cool things.  This means when you get to revengeance difficulty and you are able to quickly dispatch a group of enemies by doing a perfect parry followed by slicing them all in half in blade mode, you'll know that this is really all do to you being good at the game, rather than Raiden being overpowered, since you'll know that you got your ass handed to you by the lowest level mooks when you started.

Center Right: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: If Heroes of Might and Magic 3 isn't the greatest strategy game there is, this one probably is.  This game is basically Civilization 2 redone from the ground up with a big emphasis on customization.  Not happy with the units the game suggests for you?  Feel free to change their weapons, armors, movement abilities and special abilities around to your hearts content.  Similarly, rather than having a few set government types, there are a variety of social options which can be mixed and matched.  This was also the game that made terrain modification something with some actual depth.  Unlike civilization, since Alpha Centauri is a science fiction game it can put in elements like psychic combat with alien mind worms to further mix things up.

The base game and the expansion give a total of 12 different human factions and 2 broken alien factions meant to be a challenge from the computers.  Most of these factions are worth playing with only a few (such as the Believers) being trash.  There is also an easy to use faction editor and world map editor if you are bored by the normal options, leading to more replayability.  With tons of viable strategies, this is probably going to be the best Civilization style game for the long term.  (Civ 3 and 4 came close in some ways, but I don't think that either displaced it).

Lower Left: Radiant Historia: I think of this game as "Chrono Trigger 3" since it is a JRPG about time traveling, with elements that both feel like the point to point time travel in Chrono Trigger and the dimension hopping in Chrono Cross.  It's completely unrelated in terms of story and development, but you can't have everything.  The time travel is done extremely well, both in terms of how it is tied into the story, and how you actively use it to complete the main story and sidequests.  Beyond that, the game has one of my favorite battle systems with lots of little quirks to give you more combat options.  The simplest is that you can always choose to swap the active character's turn with a later turn.  The game gives you reasons both to string your character's turns together (for combos) and to put them further apart (to prevent total party wipes from too many enemy turns in a row), so there's not one true strategy to use in all situations.  And as appropriate for a game in the Chrono Trigger vein, the music is great (though sadly not by Yasunori Mitsuda).

One complaint that the game gets is that you are too limited in where you can go at any point in the story.  And it is true that you rarely have a chance to explore the worldmap, usually being restricted by the plot to a town or two and a dungeon nearby.  But what people ignore is that you have the ability to time travel to different points in your personal history.  So if you want to go to some specific location, you just time travel back to when it was still available (and in fact many of the side quests revolve around doing this to achieve seemingly impossible tasks).

Lower Center: Super Robot Wars: Original Generations 2: The Super Robot Wars games are a tactical RPG series where you control mecha from various anime.  After the first game, they started adding a couple of characters original to their own series each game (so as to not give too much preference to any anime involved), and eventually they had enough to fill a whole game.  This is basically how we got the Original Generations games.  The first one is basically a rehash of Alpha, with some elements of Compact, using OC do not steel characters in place of the licensed ones.  For original generations 2, they basically threw together the plots for almost every single remaining game.  As a consequence, the game revolves around fighting off invasions from two entirely different types of aliens, in the aftermath of an invasion from a third type in the first game, while at the same time a military faction from another universe manipulates matters behind the scenes, and everything gets screwed up by several Earth native conspiracies. As you might imagine, the plot gets ridiculous pretty quickly with every faction's plans constantly interfering with every other ones, and I love the result.

Beyond that, there's just a stupid amount of detail put into this game.  I discussed one place this happened in another thread: there's special combat dialogue for swapping out characters into non-canon mecha.  And by dialogue, I mean like thirty lines per character, in a cast with dozens of characters.  There's no strategic reason to do this most of the time, but it's great to see when you do decide to do it.  Similarly, there are a lot of things that you'll only likely see in a new game plus run through (and generally the game has a lot of new game plus support).  If you like tactical rpgs, or if you like giant robots, this game is amazing.

Lower Right: Bunny Must Die!: This is "Metroidvania" game, and it lets you know that with plentiful references to both Metroid and Castlevania.  Many of these are humorous, such as how Bunny's first item is one that lets her turn around to look to the right (something mocking how in the original Metroid, you can't do much of anything until you get the morph ball on your immediate left).  There's just generally a lot of good and quirky humor in this game, as can be seen by the Cat boss in the screenshot I used.

But despite obviously being a doujin game, and being full of jokes, the game is extremely polished.  In fact, it does a better job of "Metroidvania" than pretty much every single Metroid game or Castlevania game (with really on Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night as exceptions).  Secrets are hidden cleverly but never unfairly, the controls are all extremely smooth, and there are tons of things which help you out on low item runs if you are crazy enough to try.  But what puts it above the inspirations in my mind is how it adds completely new abilities.  Most notable among these are Bunny's time manipulation powers, such as being able to stop time (and yes, you can do the Dio knife thing when you do), to slow it down, or reverse it.  Initially these look like gimmicks to solve puzzles, and they are used in this way, but part of the joy of the game is learning how to effectively use them mid fight.

On top of that, there's a great secret which doubles the value of the game after you complete the dungeon, but I won't spoil that here.

2 hours ago, Silent said:

Hmmm alright, not my cup of tea anywhere across the board here, and what you lack seemingly in platform variety you make up for in genres. Literally 8 games I've never played and TF2.

Interesting middle pick, though. Not because I know the slightest bit about it, it just intrigues me from the image alone. Looks like it would be more trouble than it's worth to get into, however.

200 points for telling me to go fuck myself on the theme,

50 points for the game name being visible in every square but TF2,

6 points for describing your love/hate relationships with some of these games, making it clear your heart was involved in picking them,

-500 points for the etf2l heavy

I've only ever been a sonybrony or a pcfat so I wouldn't have much platform variety, sadly. My Summer Car is probably one of those games you either love or hate, if the idea of a game that involves you  building a rusty hunk of shit in the boonies where 95% of the time you die (permanently, although it is optional) is because you took a corner too fast or slammed into a tree appeals to you, you should try it. Actually BUILDING the car is probably the easiest, safest thing you can do, although it will take you a while especially if it's your first time, especially if you do it without using a guide (I'm not that badass, I always have this page open when I need it.) In my opinion you do need to dedicate a few hours each session though, so that could be a turnoff.

And I googled TF2 just looking for the boxart, but I saw that come up so I just had to put it there - who am I to defy fate?

3 hours ago, Silent said:

What makes you pick Dragon Quest 8? I've been sort of interested in this series but, as with FF, sequels that go into the double digits make for an intimidating challenge to find an entry point to the series. I know extremely little about the Dragon Quest games apart from the little slime dudes.

I cant really put into words why I like it that much, but its a classic JRPG, finest for the PS2 era for me.

Lots of places to go, a good, if a bit cliche, story, well written characters and interactions between them, sweet old school battle system, each character has 5 skills to learn, so it gives you some variation. And of course, Toriyama's art style.

And this happens.

If you want to play a Dragon Quest, I'd recommend this one and the Dragon Quest 5 remake on the DS.

While Dragon Quest 9 is also good, its a bit short and most of the game is based on reaching level 100 with all classes and doing the post game infinite dungeons. I'd say 9 is pretty much Final Fantasy 5.

If you are bored with all the flashy real time RPGs, Dragon Quest is always a good back to roots.

5 hours ago, Silent said:

Good criteria.

Again, lots of games I'm unfamiliar with, probably due to not owning a Gamecube or dreamcast. Lots of multiplayer games though, which is neat, I wish there was that many I would consider to be among my faves that I still played, so it's nice that you're still having fun with all of those, I'm a little envious.

Quick rundown on the modding scene of OoT? I have no idea how that would even work.

50 points for the cute girl,

20 points for the abundance of colour,

30 points for your nice written experiences for each game,

-1000 points for a MOBA REEEEEE

SMITE fricking SUCKS if I don't have a full team to voice chat with. It and CS:GO are games where my personality switches to getting mad if I end up playing a core hero over supportive. Like I said I'd probably remove it first but I just wish I had people that would play it with me. 

Recently Ocarina of Time got a Randomizer mod that started off as somewhat meh but now randomizes pretty much every item in the game. This has spawned some interest since it's opensource and it's created a ROMHack that skips the cutscenes and makes text all skippable if you want to. Randomizer has people streaming it constantly because it's easy content for twitch streamers. Fun to try out but you are gonna need a checklist/map guide if you don't know the game too well. https://github.com/AmazingAmpharos/OoT-Randomizer/releases

This one is based kind of on SM64 online and isn't out yet but it's gotten a little bit of attention so I'll include it anyway. Much more promise than the multiplayer mod from like, 2008.

>opens thread

>XYTWO post on top of the page

>looks back

so many people gone, and so much memories :frown:

Now I feel bad

Anyways here be mine with the theme of logos only

Spoiler

mosaice186a362577ab41069736f4d8b2362d7e02e8969.thumb.jpg.337d822c3498d49dfda0c6c7936a0257.jpg

Spoiler

Rationale:

1:I, nor the most of us, wont be here because of TF2, and even though I dont have much time nowadays, I still try to play it once in  a while

2: Zelda, toss up between BOTW and LTTP, LTTP being the 1st zelda game Ive ever touched, so it made a lasting impression with me,, BOTW, as with others have  said, a big gamechanger in the zelda franchise, and a well made adventure to boot.

3: smash bros, nuff said

4:Minecraft, or rather, the modding potential, no matter if you want to go high tech, or play with magic, mods have almost everything covered

5: Kancolle, even though it may not be a real "game", it is kinda like the 2nd TF2 for me, Ive made a few new friends while hanging in the discord server, and there are fun shenanigans going on  in there, so more of a community thing. also another community to escape to if this site eventually goes down

also cute bote waifus

6:earthbound/mother: ever since the inclusion of lucas in brawl, I was curious about his origins, so I got the english rom and did a playthrough, I liked it

7: the LEGO games, even though its unconventional, its always fun to go in a world literally made of legos and just explore, or play through levels, or beat up people as superman or captain america

8: super mario world: one of the games I have completed 100%, finding every dragon coin, secret exit, and maxed out points/lives in the GBA version, that and it was the only game I  had for the GBA for a while

9: borderlands, just classic run and gun, with RPG elements, and humorous dialogue,

@Silent I don't know THAT much about Metroid to be honest, I am mostly a huge fan of the prime series; Metroid Fusion and the original Metroid are the only 2 2D Metroids I finished. I've started Super Metroid like four times, kinda forgot about it and then had to restart because I had no idea where I was. But yeah I obviously greatly recommend the Prime series, all 3 of them are amazing although I would say 1 is yet another level above the other two; I wrote a big splurgy comment about the game here. If you want a really good 2D "Metroid" I'd recommend the indie game Axiom Verge; it's not so much a homage to metroid as it is just straight up a metroid game

As for Psychonauts no longer being on the list (throne guy is a Civ 5 leader), although it's still the funniest game I;ve ever played and the writing is SSS tier, the gameplay is just kind of poopy at times. It'd still be in my top 16 though