Ehh, nah, it's not a big deal. Already bought back the stock stranges and some taunts. I don't wanna go through the trouble.

From now on it's just gonna be the SCM, Marketplace.tf and Backpack.tf for trading for me.

Edited by John Caveson

But, I realized something, unlike most people who play this game, I have a job

Probably best not to try and sound superior in a post about you getting scammed in such a textbook way and in what I can only describe as "like that bikecuck guy", buying back all your shit with zero intention to try and contact anyone with authority

15 minutes ago, Facade said:

Probably best not to try and sound superior in a post about you getting scammed in such a textbook way and in what I can only describe as "like that bikecuck guy", buying back all your shit with zero intention to try and contact anyone with authority

YOU should probably not copypaste with formatting because it shows you're a filthy spuflight user.

That's like... textbook scamming though. Even worse that you haven't tried to report it.

"Trade this thing to a stranger to see if it's trade-able and valuable."

Got scammed once. Most valueable thing I owned was an Australium Sticky Launcher (still is the most valueable thing I own). Luckily this happened right after Valve instated that 1-week trade restriction thing on unboxes, and luckily I had just unboxed a ton of EoTL crates, and luckily I got like 5 Cold Snap Coats out of them which were worth like 2 Keys each at the time, so I was all set to buy back most of the shit I lost.

And then Steam Support gave me all my shit back so good thing I didn't go through on that plan.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:44 PM, John Caveson said:

Pardon me, just need to vent a little:

Hide contents

Welp, never thought I'd see the day, but I got scammed yesterday. I should have seen it coming.

A month or so ago, I got random added by a trader. Checked his profile: No vac-bans, been on steam for a while, some rep posts on his profile. Sure ok. Dude was a little off on his grammar, but I didn't think much of it. So we negotiated, he was interested in my Aussies, I said no, but I checked his bp and he had a Batter's Helm that I wanted and asked for that. I'd trade one of my taunts and a couple ref for it, he's cool with it. He was very paranoid and asked if I could activate Steam's Mobile Authenticator to reduce wait time. I reasoned with all of his unusuals he was just cautious of scammers. Reluctantly I did.

Then, a month later, I finally decided to trade, surprised that he actually waited for me. Then, he told me he sells stuff on OPSkins (a site similar to Marketplace.tf, except with a broader game list), and wanted to make sure the taunt I was trading was marketable. Told me to list it on there for a ridiculous price. He even walked me through the process, and was very patient. I listed the item, got a trade offer from a bot put the item in and accepted the trade. Went back to the site and noticed my item wasn't listed. I asked him what happened and said there was a "withdrawal blockage" for new accounts to prevent scammers. Then the bot offered again for bunch of items, some of them relatively valuable. I asked what this is, and he said this would get rid of the blockage.

That was the moment that I should have walked away. And indeed there was something off in my gut about it. Maybe it was because he was patient, and kind, maybe it was my own impatience to just get the trade done and the time of night, but either way, I accepted. Checked on the site. Nope, nothing changed. I got worried and again asked him again what happened. He then offered to voice chat and I did. He was indeed a human. He kept assuring me this was the procedure when the bot came back for another trade among the items it wanted was my Golden Pan.

And that's when it finally dawned on me that I was getting scammed. I stopped, started getting upset and offered to the guy he should give a few unusuals as collateral for the items I was putting up. He refused, then I called him out, he put up on some empty threats and I blocked him. I was livid. But I took a step back, I looked the offer and what I lost:

• Some stranges, a few of them Pro. Killstreak, including (but not limited to) my Strange Sanvich Safe, Aussie Tomislav, Stock Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Scattergun, Invis Watch, Sapper, and PDA and Wrench
  • Festives: Sapper, Amby, Crusader's Crossbow and Knife
  • Most of my taunts
  • Cosmetics including: Vintage Backbiter's Billycock, Fancy Fedora, Soldier's Stash, and a Commissioner's Coat
  • My Big Kill that I've had for years
  • And finally a Headshots Strange Part

Quite a list. But, I realized something, unlike most people who play this game, I have a job. I can just buy all this back with only a single paycheck if I wanted. In fact, a lot of those things he stole, I didn't actually didn't use at all or I could I live without. In fact, I put down $100 and bought back my Stock Stranges and a few taunts, Vintage Fancy Fedora and Soldiers Stash and the headshot kills Strange Part. And I plan on putting even more down further on the road as opportunity to get some strange parts that was too late to get earlier, as well as some name tags and KS kits for em.

So in the end, am I mad? Yes, at myself for falling for it. In fact, I actually have to applaud this scammer a bit. Most scammers and bots are usually obvious, they have vac-bans, or they're fresh accounts with obvious, stupid names. He however was patient, he was tenacious, and even helpful. And he got me. I'm just glad that I caught myself before I went to the point of no return and gave my Pan away. So I have to pat myself on the back for not giving him what he really wanted, so in that, I can put a little smile in on my face. This is a new opportunity to learn and in the grand scheme of things, the things I lost don't really matter. They're just pixels after all. I still got my pan. I'm good. So I thank this scammer for giving me this opportunity to remain steadfast in distress.

Because you know what I did after all of this? I sat down, and played some good ole TF2 with Captain Blades and his gang. And it was fun times. I'm not letting this scammer get to me. I hope he enjoys my items, because I have still have a job, and his "job" is laughable, and I pity him. But do I hate him? No, as again, it was my fault for falling for it as much I did. Oh well.

TL/DR: Got scammed from a few items. Was totally my fault. Realized it was no big deal, played some video games and moved on.

Man that sucks, but you got rekt. :( I just follow one simple rule: If they won't trade straight up, I bail.

I've never had anyone try to scam me (other than of course those shitty bots that anyone can see coming a mile away) because I'm too poor and too paranoid. I miss the first days of trading when prices were in flux and finding the right person could net you a lot of cool shit. I think I've mentioned before that I got a Bill's hat for a sandvich, and there was one guy who would open my crates up for me - I got so much paint from that. Once he even got an unusual from it, Purple Fetti Ze Goggles (yes they were "shit" but back then it didn't really matter, unusuals were fucking rare - people would stare in spawn if you had one). He let me borrow it for a day then asked if he could have it, and I of course agreed.

Eventually we stopped talking and I found out he got banned from one of our mutual servers for hacking (although he doesn't have a VAC, weird) - in the appeal thread he said his brother did it which I usually wouldn't believe but he was truly a great guy. He ain't been online in over 2,700 days. Hope he's doing well.

Hard to believe that was almost 8 years ago.

For some reason Youtube is recommending nothing but Spy videos.

And when I say "spy videos" I mean stuff like this:

You guys were playing MvM? I fucking love MvM. An MvM update is the one thing that might actually drag me back to TF2.

2 hours ago, Medic said:

You guys were playing MvM? I fucking love MvM. An MvM update is the one thing that might actually drag me back to TF2.

Not actually, was just testing out map exploit ideas I had on a local server. Mann Up someday but getting people to fork over a few bucks may not happen.