Splosion

Magic The Gathering (TCG)

I know I'm not the only one here who plays it so I thought it was time we had a thread. I recently got back into the game when my girlfriend and I bought two starter decks to keep us busy one rainy afternoon and dear god that flood gate never should have been reopened. I've dropped a few hundred dollars getting back into the game already and I have to say that the Return to Ravnica block is easily my favorite set ever so far. I'm nearing completion of a good deck for each of the first 5 guilds. Azorius Selesnya Radkos Izzet Haven't gotten the chance to get my hands on any Gatecrash packs yet but I've seen some nasty Simic undying combos I can't wait to try out. Edit: Just found the most OP Orzhov combo out there... http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=240134&type=cardhttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=366371&type=card You gain infinite life while dealing infinite damage... Balanced.

Edited by Splosion

Golgari swarm represent

Although I'm building a Boros deck for GTC

I bought the golgari vs izzet event deck and love them both but I'm trying to scrap together a proper Golgari deck to round out my ravnica sets before moving on to gatecrash. Once I do get into the new expansion Simic and Dimir guild decks are first on my to do list. Especially looking forward to getting as many of these into my deck as possible.

Posted Image

Screwing over your oppenent 3 times with a single card? I'll take 50.

Wait, you're making a deck for every guild? Yeah I can see that getting expensive I currently have 3 decks: -A golgari reanimate deck that is basically done (I actually still need three Entombs but those are really hard to get by and too expensive to buy for a formatless casual deck) -a Modern Merfolk deck for which I still need a lot os pricey stuff, mainly aether vials and mutavaults (160 bucks for eight cards ffffffffff) -a Standard Boros deck that I want to properly finish but I'm not gonna get the really expensive crap like the shocklands. I chose boros because it sounded like fun, but it turns out that from GTC, Boros is by far the best guild. For one thing that means that I can make a really good deck, for the other that means all the important cards like Hellriders cost loadsemone ;-;

Wait, you're making a deck for every guild? Yeah I can see that getting expensive

I currently have 3 decks:

-A golgari reanimate deck that is basically done (I actually still need three Entombs but those are really hard to get by and too expensive to buy for a formatless casual deck)

-a Modern Merfolk deck for which I still need a lot os pricey stuff, mainly aether vials and mutavaults (160 bucks for eight cards ffffffffff)

-a Standard Boros deck that I want to properly finish but I'm not gonna get the really expensive crap like the shocklands.

I chose boros because it sounded like fun, but it turns out that from GTC, Boros is by far the best guild. For one thing that means that I can make a really good deck, for the other that means all the important cards like Hellriders cost loadsemone ;-;

Well I got some very lucky pulls so far. Those 4 links in the OP are my first 4 guild decks in there current form (Maybeboards are cards I plan on buying) and so far the Selesnya deck is easily the strongest and once I get some parallel lives in there it will be perfect. My girlfriend and I have bought 4 RTR fat packs and a lot of what I have came from those. We've also got:

-A generic blue spell deck loosely based around Talrand Sky Summoner

-A blue milling deck which will probably be converted into our Dimir guild deck

-A red / black vampire deck. By far our most powerful at the moment. Plenty of stromkirk rares and an Olivia voldaren.

-A white / black exalted deck

-A green "replay" deck based around roaring primadox

-and a pure white soldier deck

I'm sure this beautiful little combo is going to set me back a bit when I start working on a Simic deck.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=262850&type=cardPosted Image

Also is the Boros guild really that good? I think I might be missing the big picture on it. Aside from the battalion mechanic I'm not really getting the core "theme" of the guild. Next to Gruul it seems like the weakest guild in Gatecrash.

I have only one Red/Green deck from years ago. Never played Magic since then.

You should consider picking it up again. The currently block is incredibly fun. Edited by Splosion

I've got decks of Rakdos, Izzet, Golgari and Selesnya. I love my Selesnya deck to death.

My selesnya deck is easily my favorite from RTR too. I need to spend about $500 on tokens for how many it pumps out.

I genuinely miss the smell of boosters, I always thought it was just a thing people said but it really isn't.

After opening 35 my room reeks of new card smell. Pulls were mostly good, managed to get 2 mythics and a foil rare land.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Never played, although my friends do. I've been meaning to try it out for ages, I just can't afford it.

Pick up Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 on steam. It's a great introduction to the game. Most of the DLC you can unlock yourself by just playing the game but the expansions and deck packs are definitely worth grabbing. MTG is one of the best games I've ever played and you're really missing out having never tried this.

My selesnya deck is easily my favorite from RTR too. I need to spend about $500 on tokens for how many it pumps out.

Use a D20 (or more) and just turn the die to the number of tokens you have. Also, alex, there's a program called Forge which is basically MTG for free against the computer with an infinite archive of cards.

Use a D20 (or more) and just turn the die to the number of tokens you have. Also, alex, there's a program called Forge which is basically MTG for free against the computer with an infinite archive of cards.

NO! I need 500 individual elemental tokens! Actually. I need parallel lives and trostani. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253641&type=cardhttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=249662&type=card

I'm gonna draft some M13 with two or three friends tomorrow. Not looking for anything in particular othe rthan Searing Spears, which are commons, lol.

Also is the Boros guild really that good? I think I might be missing the big picture on it. Aside from the battalion mechanic I'm not really getting the core "theme" of the guild. Next to Gruul it seems like the weakest guild in Gatecrash.

Boros is an incredible guild, it has some of the strongest creatures in the game right now. Also the Boros Charm is broken as hell. The most common comp deck right now, lame enough, is a nearly monored aggro deck with a shitton of haste, with white splashed for Boros Charm. There was a little ruckus on /tg/ today because Boros Reckoner just hit the $25 and is officially more expensive than Snapcaster Mage (I managed to get two when they were still four bucks, huehuehue) Also that combo you posted is similar to one of the most common Modern combos: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=194274&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=141976&type=card It is often used for a free Birthing Pod engine, or with a cheap way to sac creatures, so you have infinite health.

I genuinely miss the smell of boosters, I always thought it was just a thing people said but it really isn't.

This. The smell of new cards is one of the biggest joys of opening a booster

Boros is an incredible guild, it has some of the strongest creatures in the game right now. Also the Boros Charm is broken as hell. The most common comp deck right now, lame enough, is a nearly monored aggro deck with a shitton of haste, with white splashed for Boros Charm. There was a little ruckus on /tg/ today because Boros Reckoner just hit the $25 and is officially more expensive than Snapcaster Mage (I managed to get two when they were still four bucks, huehuehue)

Yeah I'm starting to see the potential for a Boros deck. Out of the 35 boosters I opened today the majority had Gruul and Boros rares. Managed to pull a frontline medic and Aurelia's fury. Out of my gatecrash decks so far it's turning out to be my strongest. My biggest issue right now is trying to decide between making my Dimir deck milling focused or built around unblockable creatures using cipher.

dimir is sadly a bit meh. They were too afraid to make mill too powerful and ended up making it way too weak, and cypher is too expensive to work considering how fast the current metagame is. From what I've seen, this is about how it works: Top Tier Boros Selesnya Great Tier Izzet Orzhov Azorius Mid Tier Golgari Rakdos Bad Tier Simic Dimir Crap Tier Gruul

Finally have my rough starting points for 4 of the gatecrash guilds put together. Maybeboards are cards I'm considering buying to add to the decks to finalize them.

Boros

Orzhov

Simic

Dimir

dimir is sadly a bit meh. They were too afraid to make mill too powerful and ended up making it way too weak, and cypher is too expensive to work considering how fast the current metagame is. From what I've seen, this is about how it works:

Top Tier

Boros

Selesnya

Great Tier

Izzet

Orzhov

Azorius

Mid Tier

Golgari

Rakdos

Bad Tier

Simic

Dimir

Crap Tier

Gruul

Simic needs to be way higher on that list. The ability to manipulate the undying mechanic alone is great but when you factor in some cards from past sets that blend so well with Simic mechanics like these...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Simic can be insanely powerful and hit really quickly with some gigantic creatures in the right circumstances.

Simic needs to be way higher on that list. The ability to manipulate the undying mechanic alone is great but when you factor in some cards from past sets that blend so well with Simic mechanics like these... Simic can be insanely powerful and hit really quickly with some gigantic creatures in the right circumstances.

The problem is that Simic needs a lot of cards on the field to keep up. You need a lot of mana and a lot of creatures, and burn through your hand at an incredible speed. For all the mana, creatures and draw you need, there isn't enough place in a deck, and you'll need at least some kind of removal as well. Compare it to aggrored for example: loads of its creatures attack out of their mana curve because of Haste or unleash, and its removal can also double as free damage which frees up space in the deck. And because you're okay with castingone creature a turn while ramping out at four mana, SOMETIMES five if they run Hellkite Overlord, they don't need much mana either. Simic is all about interaction between cards, while RDW just bashes head with single cards: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253623&type=cardhttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=366385&type=cardhttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=226874&type=card Not saying that you MUST play a top deck because others are bad, of course. None of us is a comp player and I'd rather have a fun deck than a good but dull deck (honestly the fact that a monocolored deck thrives in a block specifically focussed on dualcolored decks annoys the crap out of me). Play whatever you want but understand that you might get your ass whopped at a FNM.

i played it a bit in middle school but i only bought 1 starter deck that came with a booster pack jace the mindsculptor HOLLA

I hope you kept that mind sculptor in good condition, you could easily sell it for $100

Oh also, I looked into your decks a bit and the first thing I can say is to get less one-ofs. This is probably because you only just started building them, but it's better to consistently have the same good creatures than having multiple different ones. I'll rate your Boros deck first seeing as I'm buildign one myself and have the most to talk about. For Boros, definitely get four Boros Charms, they kick ass, and probably four Searing Spears as well. You also need a lot of one-drops, as you want to be fast. Boros Elite is great and cheap, and I'd suggest two Legion Loyalists as they're kind of useless on their own but amazing together with more creatures. Champion of the Parsh, Stromkirk Noble and Stonewright are also great one drops. I use Foundry Street Denizen myself seeing as it's a lot easier to get by. For the two-drop, daring Skyjek is a bit mediocre. I'd suggest Wojek Halbediers and Bomber Corps. If you're willing to spend some bucks, get Ash Zealot. Boros has a LOT of amazing 3-drops and I'm stil not 100% sure which one to use myself. Skyknight Legionnaire, Boros Reckoner and Frontline Medic, are all top deck as fuck. Skyknight is very cheap to get, but Frontline Medic goes for about $6 and Boros Reckoner just hit the $20(!), so I'd suggest Skyknight. Four is probably where your manacurve should end, although you could run two Aurelias as well. The best four-drop is Hellrider, but he doesn't fit the flavor of Boros and is expensive ($12 I believe) so only get that if you wanna pro it up. Firemane Avenger and Spark Trooper are great four drops, and I'd suggest running six of them total, either 3 of each or 4 avengers and 2 troopers. For the rest, Aurelia's Fury is ridiculously good and I'd suggest running two. Thunderous Wrath can be very good as well as long as you don't get it in your starting hand, so running two of thoise might be nice. From what you're running now, I'd really suggest removing Nav-Squad Commandos, Ordruun Veteran, Sunhome Guildmage, all your Instants bar Aurelia's Fury, and Mark for Death, as they are rather sub-par. Also, here is my own Boros deck: http://deckstats.net/deck-1972456-79c62310ba38608736a75849b77ba1e7.html The Rings of Valkas are just there for trying out, but they've been pretty sweet so far

-snip-

I actually don't go to FNM at all and it may seem a bit silly considering how much cash I've dropped on this game but my girlfriend is the only person I play MTG with outside of a few late night drunken games with friends at conventions so my concerns aren't getting these anywhere near competitive level I want to get these balanced with each other, since those will be the only decks I play against. I used to be huge into the competitive scene about 10 years ago. Back then I basically lived in the game store where I worked but now I just play the game because it's one of the few games my girlfriend and I really enjoy playing together. At least until she gets a more stable gaming rig of her own.

So really these are all just casual decks. I still toss in some hefty wincons here and there but after I made that black and red vampire deck I learned my lesson about keeping everything on par with each other. I used to have a pretty fun red/green werewolf deck but ended up having to scrap it because it just couldn't compete with anything else, luckily though the good bits of that were set aside for when I try to slap together a passable Gruul.

So after selling off all my unusuals I bought a few hundred dollars worth of rare singles. I'm now F5'ing the fedex tracker every few hours as if that's going to make the cards cross 14 states any quicker. I think I may have a problem...

So after selling off all my unusuals I bought a few hundred dollars worth of rare singles. I'm now F5'ing the fedex tracker every few hours as if that's going to make the cards cross 14 states any quicker. I think I may have a problem...

whatcha makin and whatcha got? I'm currently still finishing my Modern Merfolk deck, traded 3 Aether Vials last week. Eez gut. Also I made a deck on cockatrice that is a ton of fun to play and I would love to have it irl but it's worth almost 600 bucks

whatcha makin and whatcha got?

I'm currently still finishing my Modern Merfolk deck, traded 3 Aether Vials last week. Eez gut.

Also I made a deck on cockatrice that is a ton of fun to play and I would love to have it irl but it's worth almost 600 bucks

I'm just rounding out my last 5 guild decks mostly. I'd list everything but it's 200+ cards so it'll be easier just to link the tappedout pages here once I'm done. I did buy a few odds and ends for my original 5 though, mostly golgari cards you recommended. I'm dropping alot of my scavenge focus for cards that benefit a bit more from the self mill I have going.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I also decided to go with a hybrid zombie/mill theme for my dimir guild and picked up this combo for it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

If you're still wanting a standard deck that can finally beat out boros I came across this very nice budget Simic that works just as fast if not faster.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/faster-than-a-speeding-boros/