Splosion

Magic The Gathering (TCG)

Jace being a seeded mythic was my first thought as well - I mean, what are the odds of, among ALL things, the one rare/mythic out of order being THE chase card of the set?

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

Recently Wizards is starting to remind me of the last days of TSR.  Inconsistent product quality, a seeming ignorance of what products the customers actually want made worse by a general oversaturation of products, and a steady loss of business to competing  that they don't really understand (Magic: The Gathering in the case of TSR, Hearthstone and its imitators in the case of Wizards).

So just when I thought that Wizards was going to turn it around with Dominaria, when we were on the upswing, they go and pull the dumbest fucking stunt I think I've ever seen them do.

So this is a card that got leaked last week, to pretty decent reviews from the EDH crowd.

en_bjiAZMhsh8.png

Look! It's a Boros commander (typically the weakest color combination in EDH) that doesn't care about the combat step! And it's a rare! We can finally do something besides turn cards sideways in Boros!

Except good luck getting one of these cards because it's the buy a box promo AND YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS CARD FROM BUYING A BOX.  It's not going to be in any boosters, it's not going to be in intro packs or anything.  No.  The only way you can get this card is to drop roughly $100 on a box and pray that your LGS both has copies of this card left in stock (because it's going to be an insanely limited print run of these bad boys) and they haven't just kept all the promos so that they can sell them at marked up prices.  Oh and if that weren't bad enough, you have to buy the box before the prerelease weekend to get one.  Because printing a super limited card isn't enough, they have to go and timegate it too.  I'm fucking pissed about this, this is such a bad precedent and I hope Wizards gets so many angry letters about this because frankly it's absolutely unacceptable.

Speaking about Hasbro/Wizards though, and in particular about their mismanagement, I'm reminded of how about five or so years ago I purchased some Avalon Hill line board games, and remember being shocked at that time about how poor the quality of the material was compared to pretty much any other board game company's offerings.

Of particular note was the card warping present in many printings of Betrayal at House on the Hill, which seems very similar to the warping seen in Magic cards today.  There it was particularly fatal since the warping also affected the house tiles, which were used as a board that pieces were placed on.  Of course, just generally the product was pretty shoddy.  I got my hands on a printing that didn't suffer from the warping (or to be more precise had warping, but only slight and not enough to affect play), but it still had problems like the fact that trackers used on the character profiles were far too big for the cards (or maybe the cards shrank?) so that they would slide around, making them impossible to use for their intended purpose of tracking stats (I ended up just replacing them with paperclips).

Anyway, the reason that I bring this up is that at that point the Avalon Hill lined seemed to be pretty mismanaged.  Maybe things have changed now since I haven't purchased anything in that line since then, but I doubt it.  I wonder if there were already management problems at that time, but they were shunted away to a line that no one cared about while the heads tried to protect the big lines of Magic and D&D.

Haven't bought Magic products in a few years, so I just found out that M25 was retailing at 10 bucks a pack.

I'm laughing for real right now.

EDIT: On looking on a few more sites I guess maybe the standard price is $8?  I dunno.  Still dumb.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

I caved and bought three packs...pulled an ensnaring bridge and twilight mire.  Which is honestly pretty much the best case scenario, I'm not gonna push my luck any more.

Thinking over what I said earlier about TSR's last days, and looking at both the current state of the game and all the gimmick moves that Wizards has pulled lately, and it seems plausible to me that they will be sold off within two or three years.  The only thing that makes this not certain in my mind is that they are owned by the mega-giant Hasbro, so it's not like the whole company's going to go down, as essentially happened with TSR.  But at the same time, if the division does become a liability it make sense for Hasbro to sell them off; it's not like they don't have plenty else that they can make profit off of.

Anyway, supposing that they do get sold, who do you think is going to buy them?  Blizzard would be the obvious choice (ushering in a D&D 6th edition which is literally just Warcraft), but I don't know if they even care enough to buy.

DahqCdWX4AEhj5k.png:large

Unplayable vanilla legend? Check.

Power 9? Check.

Frog that was released on Wednesday, my dudes? Check.

Dies to bolt? Check. 

This is the greatest set to ever exist.

No, it was too hard to make even in the conceptual level for me.

Maybe I just didn't think hard enough though.

Still would love to make a custom set sometime. but it's a lot of work, and stuff.

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

On 3/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, Gyokuyoutama said:

Speaking about Hasbro/Wizards though, and in particular about their mismanagement, I'm reminded of how about five or so years ago I purchased some Avalon Hill line board games, and remember being shocked at that time about how poor the quality of the material was compared to pretty much any other board game company's offerings.

Of particular note was the card warping present in many printings of Betrayal at House on the Hill, which seems very similar to the warping seen in Magic cards today.  There it was particularly fatal since the warping also affected the house tiles, which were used as a board that pieces were placed on.  Of course, just generally the product was pretty shoddy.  I got my hands on a printing that didn't suffer from the warping (or to be more precise had warping, but only slight and not enough to affect play), but it still had problems like the fact that trackers used on the character profiles were far too big for the cards (or maybe the cards shrank?) so that they would slide around, making them impossible to use for their intended purpose of tracking stats (I ended up just replacing them with paperclips).

Anyway, the reason that I bring this up is that at that point the Avalon Hill lined seemed to be pretty mismanaged.  Maybe things have changed now since I haven't purchased anything in that line since then, but I doubt it.  I wonder if there were already management problems at that time, but they were shunted away to a line that no one cared about while the heads tried to protect the big lines of Magic and D&D.

I know this is late and not really related to Magic but of the two copies I've played recently of Betrayal at House on the Hill we didn't have any warping. I know one was purchased on January 2nd of this year.

I wish I had the chance to play these physical games more often - never bothered with cards because I really don't want to bother with getting the cards I'd really want. Especially seeing stuff like those rare box set cards from above.

Edited by hugthebed2

14 hours ago, hugthebed2 said:

I know this is late and not really related to Magic but of the two copies I've played recently of Betrayal at House on the Hill we didn't have any warping. I know one was purchased on January 2nd of this year.

I wish I had the chance to play these physical games more often - never bothered with cards because I really don't want to bother with getting the cards I'd really want. Especially seeing stuff like those rare box set cards from above.

Do the little slide things on the character cards actually stay on, or do they slide at the slightest hint of a touch?

As far as I remember, the severe warping issues were a bit more limited, but every copy of the game that I've seen had horrible sliders.

3 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Do the little slide things on the character cards actually stay on, or do they slide at the slightest hint of a touch?

As far as I remember, the severe warping issues were a bit more limited, but every copy of the game that I've seen had horrible sliders.

Both of ours could slide if you moved them but didn't slide super easily, no.

Even though I don't really play too much anymore, I spent the weekend upgrading my Erebos EDH deck. It feels good to deckbuild again, there were a bunch of kind of expensive cards I couldn't afford when I first built this deck that I can get now that I'm working full time. This deck is going to be nasty once it's fully completed.

MFW I finally gave in, and started playing MTG, after resisting this damn thing since the '90s.

Bought up some Ixalan, a Jace commander deck, the blue control deck, and a starter kit.

We'll see how it goes, but I pulled a foil rare from one of the booster packs out of the control deck, lel. Now I'll have to go through my worthless cardboard from the '90s (sports cards, of course) and repurpose some of my binders for Magic now.