Splosion

Magic The Gathering (TCG)

15 hours ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

I'd play force of will if it had a good simulator like YGOpro.

Same with Magic, but other than XMAGE it seems like a forgone conclusion

It apparently did have an officially supported fan-made simulator, but I can't find anything on it from the last year.

I asked Jay about this and he said that he already told me all about it at some indeterminate point in the past.  In retrospect, I don't know if I even talked to him about Force of Will at all before that conversation.

2 minutes ago, alexgndl said:

Assassins_Trophy_EN.png

WHAT 

THE

FUCK

Lol wat. Destroy ANY permanent for a single green, black?

And I was looking forward to standard being less fucked up with all of the sets rotating out, too. :(

Also, Fatal Push, old busted, Assassin's Trophy, new hotness.

Edited by _Jaybee_

Damn, is that the slot for "the only good removal in the block" and it's already filled?

hypothesizzle.jpg

I like this card from a rules standpoint but eugh. Don't like the art and the name is mondo dumb.

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

If you'd have told me last week that RtRtR would print a spell that makes Abrupt Decay obsolete I wouldve called you a raging lunatic

Now Im gonna have to be reminded that Vraska killed Isperia every time someone path to exiles my Teferi ;_;

It really looks like instead of just banning tron wotc intends to just powerfuck it into the ground. Damping Sphere, Field of Ruin, Alpine Moon and now Assassin's Trophy are clearly all printed with tron in mind.

Goblin Cratermaker seems specifically designed for legacy goblins with that awkward colorless nonland destruction ability

10 hours ago, Razputin said:

It really looks like instead of just banning tron wotc intends to just powerfuck it into the ground. Damping Sphere, Field of Ruin, Alpine Moon and now Assassin's Trophy are clearly all printed with tron in mind.

Goblin Cratermaker seems specifically designed for legacy goblins with that awkward colorless nonland destruction ability

It's not really a new tactic.  There are a few cards in Invasion which were clearly designed to just stomp on Rishadan Port from Masques (i.e. Teferi's Response and Tsabo's Web).  There were also some cards from Kamigawa designed to stop Affinity (such as Kataki), but I think affinity got banned hard before Kamigawa came out.

16 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

It's not really a new tactic.  There are a few cards in Invasion which were clearly designed to just stomp on Rishadan Port from Masques (i.e. Teferi's Response and Tsabo's Web).  There were also some cards from Kamigawa designed to stop Affinity (such as Kataki), but I think affinity got banned hard before Kamigawa came out.

Hatecards for standard aren't a new thing, but a lot of cards getting printed now seem to have modern in mind, something wotc has gone on record with to not do (or at least that was their excuse when eldrazi winter happened)

I know it's hard to come up with ten new mechanics after all this time, but the guild mechanics seem pretty bland.

We have almost flashback, almost scry, literally just convoke, some boring attack mechanic, and some boring graveyard mechanic.

wlexkdxrv0m11.jpg

GlCLTqP.png

I gotta say, I'm liking surveil a LOT more than I thought I would.  I'm starting to genuinely think it's a better scry.  Plus, these two are just absolutely nuts.  Thinking of making a Lazav EDH deck now.

There are some pretty neat cards here and there. The Dimir lineup seems pretty okay, especially with the guy who gets deathtouch and curiosity when you surveil (and the incredibly pushed mythic demon).

But Mentor just seems like a bad mechanic. Plus Legion Guildmage is trash compared to almost all of the other guildmages. Nu-Aurelia is cool and is actually a design that supports Mentor but I'm not optimistic about Boros's playability outside of a few strong cards.

12 minutes ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

I'm not optimistic about Boros's playability outside of a few strong cards.

So...business as usual for Boros then? With the exception of them in GTC draft, Boros was insane then.

missionbriefing.jpg.36634663ad0ff184b10803240153d70d.jpg

Yo dawg we heard you like snapcasters so we made a flashbackable snapcaster so you can snapcaster while you snapcaster

Both this and of course Assassin's Trophy are way more powerful of a spell than I'd have ever expected from the new set, but I do agree that all 5 of the guild mechanics seem bland as fuck

On 9/13/2018 at 4:23 PM, A 1970 Corvette said:

I was hoping just a little bit that Boros wouldn't get shafted but I realize now that was silly ;~;

Firesong and Sunspeaker might make it into a deck now...

So with Guttersnipe and Goblin Electromancer being reprinted, and with the reprint of Wee Dragonauts to take the place of Nivix Cyclops, I can now remake my first ever standard deck-U/R Spellslingers.  It's an awful, awful deck, that's also capable of straight up one-shotting someone.

29 minutes ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

You can finally search for usernames in the gatherer database.

But you still can't log in to leave comments or ratings.

One feature at a time. So in another four years we'll get ratings, then comments after another four years.