Binary

The IT thread.

Poot computer problems here, and our inept knowledgeable, boredfriendly helpdesk workers will be with you eventuallysoon.

Until then, relevant video:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cihXfGTKNJs

Alrighty, think it's time I post here.

So recently my PC (laptop) decided to start overheating everytime I play some game, and shuts down after a while. I doubt that it's because of dust, since I cleaned it not too long ago.

I've been trying to find a fix, but what I've found so far hasn't worked.

[*]I have tried a different power cord, but it didn't help.

[*]I also tried running CCleaner to see if there was some junk that caused it.. but nope, didn't work.

Otherwise I'm thinking that my last option is to reinstall Windows, but ohgod so much stuff to reinstall :c

....and if THAT doesn't work I'll assume it could be some hardware issue

also I installed some Hi-Rez stuff for tribes that day the issue started, but even after I uninstalled it, it didn't fix the problem...

I could sort of drag this post even more, been somewhat busy trying fixing this for hours and also tried something totally else, but it seems like it wasn't related to the overheat issue.

Anyways, halp pls.

boop

Should check to see how much usage your graphics card is getting when you play. Usually laptops don't like it when you run them maxed out since they're not known for heat efficiency. If it's running at 100% for something like Plants Vs Zombies, there might be some software on there messing with things.

My computer has been having trouble displaying pictures for the past month or two. Steam avatars, sprays ingame, website backgrounds, and much more are all failing to load. Any idea what might be causing it?

@huff Sounds more like a cache problem. Try clearing your browser cache and cookies. Also try a defrag. @killa Worst case scenario it sounds like it's a dying PSU. Best case its some very stubborn dust. Have you tried canned air? Make sure to check the fans.

Edited by binary

Should check to see how much usage your graphics card is getting when you play. Usually laptops don't like it when you run them maxed out since they're not known for heat efficiency. If it's running at 100% for something like Plants Vs Zombies, there might be some software on there messing with things.

I'll check that out next time I'm ingame something. I haven't made any changes to settings before the problem started.

Did the fan die? That happened to one of my laptops and I heard it's pretty common.

The fan seems to be fine from what I can tell. I'll have to test a bit ingame, but right now when I'm just on desktop its showing that the fan is at 100% according to HWMonitor.

Worst case scenario it sounds like it's a dying PSU. Best case its some very stubborn dust. Have you tried canned air? Make sure to check the fans.

I don't believe it's dust, had it cleaned sometime Dec-Jan, so not too long ago, and even before that I didn't have this sort of issue. I will check it out eventually though, if nothing else seems to be fixing it.

Sometimes my internet connection becomes a complete and utter jackass and constantly disconnects/reconnects. Not only does this make it near impossible to use Steam, but it's fucking annoying while browsing. Our ISP doesn't know what the fuck's going on and resetting the router does nothing. What do?

Sometimes my internet connection becomes a complete and utter jackass and constantly disconnects/reconnects. Not only does this make it near impossible to use Steam, but it's ♥♥♥♥ing annoying while browsing. Our ISP doesn't know what the ♥♥♥♥'s going on and resetting the router does nothing. What do?

cant do shit me and stamda have the same problems fukkin comcast but you can try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.8.8

Sometimes my internet connection becomes a complete and utter jackass and constantly disconnects/reconnects. Not only does this make it near impossible to use Steam, but it's fucking annoying while browsing. Our ISP doesn't know what the fuck's going on and resetting the router does nothing. What do?

I've had that problem before. Turns out it was our modem overheating, because it's a piece of VGS. Also the overheating caused damage to the modem and we had to replace it. There's also the possibility that your ISP just sucks. I know mine does (AT&T).

My issue might not be software related, I reinstalled windows and cleaned installed... So according to Speedfan, my GPU temperature gets really high if im doing gaming and such.. The highest I've seen through Speedfan is my GPU's temperature being at 110*C and then the PC shut down pretty quickly.. Pretty hot. Pretty dangerous in fact. Yesterday I managed to balance the GPU temperature at around 80-100*C, which is still quite hot, but I actually managed to play for a hour or 2. I have yet to try using compressed air so I'll get that done as soon as I can get one of em. I'm not sure if it means that my GPU is a bit broke, or something else.. Any ideas what my PC problem could be? Halpz

Ok, so how does one actually do the compressed air thing? Because I was talking to a friend about my problems with my fan-it doesn't really overheat, but when I exert my computer at all (for games, etc) it goes into what my friends have started calling "Jet Engine Mode". Which is a pretty good comparison, actually. But anyways, my buddy suggested I clean out my fan with compressed air...but I have no idea how to do that. Seeing as this is a rather expensive laptop, and I can't actually afford another one right now, I'd love to be able to fix it without breaking it...which with me is easier said than done.

Ok, so how does one actually do the compressed air thing? Because I was talking to a friend about my problems with my fan-it doesn't really overheat, but when I exert my computer at all (for games, etc) it goes into what my friends have started calling "Jet Engine Mode". Which is a pretty good comparison, actually. But anyways, my buddy suggested I clean out my fan with compressed air...but I have no idea how to do that. Seeing as this is a rather expensive laptop, and I can't actually afford another one right now, I'd love to be able to fix it without breaking it...which with me is easier said than done.

1. Acquire can of air. 2. Insert straw into can. 3. Open back of case carefully. Most laptops have specific sections you can take for maintenance. 4. Place a pencil in the fan to keep it from spinning. 5. Apply hurricane force winds to delicate, expensive components. KIdding aside, its pretty easy. The only real danger is to fire in short bursts, and keep the can upright. That keeps it from condensating.

just make sure you open it up and blow out because if you blow in the ink isn't going to stay inside the case edit: also holy shit 110°C isn't just a little dangerous, that is extremely bad and is a very, very, very serious risk 100°C is the arbitrary cutoff between "shit" and "fuck"

Edited by Verumae

Wear a work glove or something. Those cans get hella cold and if you don't use them correctly, the can will get cold enough for serious frostbites.

Seems like it WAS dust. some RL friend who said he had compressed air thing at home. Turns out it was a Air Compressor. Not sure if he got it activated properly, but we got the pc opened up and used the mighty air to cleanse it.

Case #1 Solved :woop:

Double post. aaaaand its overheating again...

Case #1 not solved :c

I'll try air compressor again. The compressor part was not activated last time I tried. It's really weird, cause it was working fine after I got it done sunday.

Edit: Hokay, so i haven't done anything yet but it seems better again. Straaaange.

Edited by KillaWaliid

so my MP3 (sansa fuze) scroll wheel was dead, and since it wanst being sold anymore, I thought I had to get a different one (love the fuze to death), but after an hour's worth of surgery, it is back to normal.

So, my pc started to randomly go into sleep mode when playing. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, others an hour. It can play Saints Row just fine, then it turns off while playing GTA and now even L4D2. Does anyone has any idea what to do?