Binary

The IT thread.

FX 4350 to a FX 8350 that came with a wraith cooler. which supposedly works as well as a 212 evo.

Was on sale for half off, so it is a fair deal.

Also currently running it with a slight OC with no problem at all.

Question: Is there any way to check if your GPU/graphics card is dead without moving it to a new rig? Either the graphics card or GPU or both in my PC are screwed, but I want to confirm it before getting someone who knows what they're doing to take my PC apart and repair/replace it. Also, if there is a way of checking, please answer in layman's terms as (in case it wasn't obvious enough from my terminology) I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks.

Can you go into more detail on the specific issue with your GPU? I can't really help you if I don't know whats going on.

If you have integrated GPU on your processor, sure, you should be able to check what's going on.

If not, you are gonna need more hardware to diagnose your problem.

31 minutes ago, Veez said:

Can you go into more detail on the specific issue with your GPU? I can't really help you if I don't know whats going on.

I don't know if it IS the GPU really. My PC recently crapped itself and would boot up, but would permanently have a black screen. Lights on, fans running, everything seemed fine except the monitor received no input. I could see the graphics card fan whirring but there was no image. I'm now running off DVI ports and I just assumed either the GPU/graphics card died at some point. I was just wondering if I could pin down what was causing this before ringing up a tech guy. Figured it would help get it fixed faster if I could point out which component specifically had broken. *shrugs* Sorry I'm useless with computers :<

My friend advised moving my graphics card / GPU into someone else's PC to test them individually but I can't do that so that's why I was wondering if I could test it myself.

Just now, Silver Wolf said:

I don't know if it IS the GPU really. My PC recently crapped itself and would boot up, but would permanently have a black screen. Lights on, fans running, everything seemed fine except the monitor received no input. I could see the graphics card fan whirring but there was no image. I'm now running off DVI ports and I just assumed either the GPU/graphics card died at some point. I was just wondering if I could pin down what was causing this before ringing up a tech guy. Figured it would help get it fixed faster if I could point out which component specifically had broken. *shrugs* Sorry I'm useless with computers :<

My friend advised moving my graphics card / GPU into someone else's PC to test them individually but I can't do that so that's why I was wondering if I could test it myself.

Well, as Kraszu mentioned above, if you have an integrated GPU in your motherboard, you can take your graphics card out and see if the integrated one works or not. I had a similar situation before where my screen would turn black randomly and it did turn out it was my GPU crapping out. Tested that by running a GPU benchmark program which would cause the blackscreen to happen consistently.  However since your screen is permanently black, its a lot harder to test. If I had to bet, I'd guess its your GPU, but its a lot harder to verify.

If you really want to be thorough, I'd see if it works with different monitors, a different input wire, anything that could possibly be an issue.

Anyone ever have an issue with Windows Event Viewer Event IDs 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. 

and ID 153: The IO operation at logical block address 0xbf4420 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried.

When it happens the PC soft-locks. I can move the mouse around, alt tab and some other things, but nothing happens when you click on stuff.

It's a brand new PC but with an SSD (that is device 36 on RaidPort0) that i've been using for a couple of years now. I've installed the chipset drivers, etc, from the websites, adjusted the power settings that a few threads mention, double checked the physical connections, and nada. One guy says his was fixed after installing the drivers that came with the board (not the latest off of the website), but I don't have my optical drive in yet.

Win10 64b

Board: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming

Edited by Expresate