Arm the Homeless

Locked and Loaded: In Which Where We Post About Firearms

Not "OMG I almost dropped it!" heavy (though it may be the case for higher caliber pistols, my experience is with a simple 9 mm), but enough to jog your hand and bruise your palms if you fire enough in a short period of time (assuming you're not used to it).

Unless you have developed proper grip, yeah, it may even jump out of your hands when firing more powerful cartidge.

In my expirience, and I didn't have pleasure to shoot much, 9mm is very pleasant cartridge, thou pistols are hard for newbie to get nice groupings from. I think it was one of CZs, I don't remember which one.

And then I shot rifle, AK to be exact. It was quite long time ago, so your milage may vary from mine. You may think your shoulder may hurt after firing something with that big caliber. False, AK does not kick in shoulder, unless you don't have stock pressed against you. And then there is upward recoil, which at that time was gigantic for me. Thou it was a good while ago.

Need to bug my friend to take me with him to firing range next time. BB guns are not enough. Even ones with blowback.

Its been ages since I shot. I had some sort a rifle when I was a kid but there was a divorce and poof it was gone. I've got a bb handgun I mess with sometimes and I just ordered a m16a1 airsoft sprign gun for a cosplay. I might test that out too.

I remember in scouts (it was a strange period in my life) I did rifles at a camp one week. That was pretty fun. The next year I tried doing the shotgun (basically skeet shooting)- except my right shoulder had apparently not fully recovered from when my arm broke a full year earlier, leading to the kickback hurting like a bitch.

The rifle one was pretty cool, though.

I remember the .22 rifle in Scout camp had virtually no kick to it. I was honestly surprised.

The shotgun though... ow. (again, the arm injury probably contributed)

I've shot a 12 gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, and a bow before.  I love archery, but I'm most accurate with the .22...can't hit shit with a shotgun.  Which is really kind of funny, if you think about it.

Yeah, we have a lot of .22s. They're cheap and most of them are pretty accurate, so we usually always bring a few when we go shooting.

Love shotguns and our higher-caliber pistols though. I love the kick, and the noise... even if I usually don't hit much with the pistols.

So I just got back from my first time at a range.

First off, it's louder than I expected. The range was also indoors, but still. I wasn't nearly as thrown off by the recoil, but it was a 9mil pistol, so there wasn't a lot of power. Overall it just made me realize the power that an actual gun has. And it ruined video game guns because they seem like dart guns in comparison.

Turns out I'm a decent shot too.

Posted Image

noone said they shot a revolver before?

seems like I'm the only one.

Nonsense, we have a .22, .38 spl., and a .357 revolver, and I've shot all of them. Though ours are double-action there's something inherently awesome about pulling back the hammer yourself.

Not to be a dick but uh...no you're not. You missed the target with a third of your shots (8/29, it looks like, assuming you didn't completely miss the paper ever), and the shots that did hit were all over the place. It's the grouping that's important when determining how good your aim is, not literally whether you hit the target or not.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst I've ever seen, and you can hardly expect to be a pro on your first attempt, but decent...ehhhh.

It wouldn't take you much practice to get better though, really.

Not to be a dick but uh...no you're not. You missed the target with a third of your shots (8/29, it looks like, assuming you didn't completely miss the paper ever), and the shots that did hit were all over the place. It's the grouping that's important when determining how good your aim is, not literally whether you hit the target or not.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst I've ever seen, and you can hardly expect to be a pro on your first attempt, but decent...ehhhh.

It wouldn't take you much practice to get better though, really. To clarify, those shots in the upper right was me specifically aiming at the smaller target. I really wasnt aiming at all for the first clip or two. But yeah, a marksman I certainly am not.

(Good to know about the "grouping" thing.)

So, I was at range today and shot some stuff.

First I shot some russian .22 pistol which was meh. Trigger was light, but had a lot of creep. .22 revolver I shot next I liked a lot more, trigger was short and crisp, I had a lot of fun shooting it. Next was Glock 19 9mm. I managed to cause it to malfunction on first shot by limp wristing. I cleared malfunction and found out that I really like how it shoots. Nice trigger, sights, I even liked ergonomics. Fun gun. I shot CZ75 9mm next, a bit heavier gun, so it recoiled less. I had better groupings with this, but I liked Glock more, I dunno why.

Then there was double barreled shottie. I got preety light load (darts) and I found out why everyone loves shotguns so much. It's great to shred whole fresh paper target with just 2 shots. That was top.

Lastly, there was SKS and AK. I was more excited about SKS, beacuse I shot AK and I already knew I liked it. And boy I was dissapointed. Not only SKS had this God awful Tapco stock, but also it felt worn out and magazine was misfeeding. Overall dissapointed, still waiting to shoot nice one.

What about AK? Well, AK was absolute blast. Even better, it was verison with fun switch, thou we were not allowed to use full auto (range owner said he has enough holes in sealing). AKMN (version with railfor mounting optics) was dead simple to use. And I even had decent grouping when firing preety quick. Overall it felt very natural to use, and even thou we could not use fun switch it was a blast.

Now, dear Santa this year I would like to get gun permission, .22 revolver, double barreled shotgun, AKM, and 2 containers of ammo.

For my Thanksgiving vacation we hit up a spot every year that has its own shooting range

We got to shoot most of our standard guns, lotsa .22s and stuff. My dad got a Ruger 10/22 with an attached scope that was dead-on accurate, and we had a lot of fun with that thing. Also a .44 revlolver, a .45 pistol, and then our other standard arsenal of various shotguns and stuff.

Also the sawn-off 12 gauge we have. According to my dad it's of legal size, but uh.... I don't know, man. All I know is it's fun as hell to shoot.

guys, sorry for necro, but I wanna go into weapons engineering (and then serve as an infantry man).

However, I am big scrub. If any of you could help me learn some carp, that would be much appreciate.