Arm the Homeless

Locked and Loaded: In Which Where We Post About Firearms

To be frank there is nay such thing like a AK-47. There is AK (Avtomat Kalashnikova) and AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova M.o.d.ernizirovanniy) which ones are called by people without knowledge AK-47.

You mount optics on this rail.

ak74withrail_zpsc4170c5f.jpg

edit. goddamit Charles, screw those filters, always those filters.

Rail was designed with a SVD rifle system for PSO-1 scope and introduced in 1963. Since russians liked it, they started slapping it on everything they had near their hands. And since it was on everything, other russian optics were designed to fit this mount, and circle is full. Mount itself it basicly riveted into reciever and provides solid platform for mounting optics. By today's standards thine could say that it lacks mo.dularity compared to Picatinny or Weaver rail, but in soviet Russia of 1960's noone even thought about that problem. And so, in mo.dern designs russians use Picatinny standard, Because there is simply more stuff for it.

Civilian and military market is filled with rail systems for AK platform mo.dernizing it to the western standard.

341550_original.png

I would like to know about these 3 things:

1) Can swords have any practical application in a gunfight nowadays?

2) What's the need for all the fancy denominations of 45x.55 and the number stuff for bullets?

3) Could nanomachines be practical in application for non-lethal defeat?

For better clarification of number 3:

Have a gun and have syringe bullets. Fire syringe bullet into enemy's hand or foot. Nanomachines connect to nerves and block out neurons, making it so they can't pull the trigger on a gun/can't move.

2) What's the need for all the fancy denominations of 45x.55 and the number stuff for bullets?

Have a gun and have syringe bullets. Fire syringe bullet into enemy's hand or foot. Nanomachines connect to nerves and block out neurons, making it so they can't pull the trigger on a gun/can't move.

I'm not much of a firearms expert, but I'll say what I know. Kraszu will probably come along and say that all my answers are shit.

1) As far as I know, many militaries issue swords to officers still for ceremonial purposes. However, there is no reason to lug around more weight on you, specially since it's just as big as a rifle, if not bigger.

2) The numbers for bullets usually means the caliber of the bullet, or the width of the bullet itself. The thing is that the caliber is another unit of measure, one that is commonly used, but the millimeter is also used. For example, 9mm bullets are .357 in. caliber

3) Only if you can liberate the Statue of Liberty first.

Swords/knifes don't jam, they don't need reloading, and they won't misfire.

Besides, its more badass to say thine took someone with a gun down using a sword/knife

Swords are unwieldy. A Knife or machete might see some use, because you can sneak attack a man or get him in close quarters where he can't use his gun effectively, but most swords will be you fighting a man at arms reach...ample space to aim a gun if the enemy is trained as well.

It works in fiction because generally the protagonists are super-human, and thus make up the disadvantages (melee range only, large and noticeable, not QUITE close range enough to effectively prevent someone from using a gun) with their advantages (super human speed to close the distance, super human strength to decapitate or lop off a limb in a single blow unerringly, bullet proof, meaning, well, who gives a fuck even if you get shot whatever, super human reflexes to dodge bullets. etc.) but not a real good option IRL.

1) Swords? I can't see any real application for them today. Bayonets maybe, as they can be useful for things other than combat, but a sword is too big and heavy to justify carrying around for anything.

2) If you mean things like 5.56x45 mm and 7.62x25 mm the first number is the bore diameter and the second number is the total case length. However, they can vary and sometimes neither of the numbers have anything to do with the diameter or length. It all depends on the cartridge. There can also be numbers/letters after the cartridge name that identify its type (ball, AP, blank, tracer, etc.)

3) In theory, I guess, but it's a convoluted way of using, basically, a stun gun.

Swords don't jam, swords don't need reloading, and swords won't misfire.

Besides, its more badass to say thine took someone with a gun down using a sword.

In the cramped, close quarters where you're likely to meet an enemy in modern close combat, a sword isn't much better than a bayonet, even if you have the space to properly use it.

In the cramped, close quarters where thine're likely to meet an enemy in Arbitratorern close combat, a sword isn't much better than a bayonet, even if thine have the space to properly use it.

Not to mention bayonets still have the plus of being, well, attached to a gun.

Today I managed to get my hands on AR-15.

Short version? Fantastic, want more.

Long version?

P1170340.jpgI shot one like this one, Mossberg MMR Tactical, just with different stock. First thing you notice - holy crap, this shit is light. I am certain my airsoft replica is heavier, and it does not even have rails, not even talking about AKM. Pistol grip was odd, but comfy for me. Ergos are standard for AR platform and I can't really say a bad word about them. First thing you notice when shooting one - wow, this trigger is wierd. I looked up online and apparently it's common opinion about this model. Other thing is the recoil. Or I should say lack of it. .223 is very soft shooting cartridge, it's very easy to keep sights on target and shoot rapidly without your barrel pointing at the sky. It's rather more comparable to .22LR rather than 7,62x39 in way it recoils.

I definitly see now why AR-15 has such following in US. It's definitly not end-all design, but it's modularity and ergonomics are top notch. I kinda want AR preety badly now, even thou I could have AKM pattern rifle and tons of ammo for the money.

Oh yeah, man, those things are light - I actually said the exact same thing you did when I picked up the one my dad bought recently.

I loved shooting the one we have but I don't have experience in most other guns at all, so I'd probably need to be able to compare it to something before saying anything.

Is mostly monologue thread now.

tumblr_lr776guSgG1qhgv3ao1_500.png

I shot moist nugget today. If you can into firearms in murrica and don't have moist nugget, I have no fucking idea what are you doing.

It's fucking 150 dolaroos in most gun shops and 80-100 for spam can of 440 surplus boolits.

Get moist nugget.

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Fortunately, I figured it out without having to search it up.

unfortunately, the only reason i knew what a mosin nagant was, was because of call of duty.

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Fortunately, I figured it out without having to search it up.

unfortunately, the only reason i knew what a mosin nagant was, was because of call of duty.

That's where I learned about them as well.

They seem pretty neat.

Bolt action tour continues. Today I got my hands on original german Mauser Kar.98 rifle from 1939 (reference photo in infographic up).

Remember how delighted I was about that Mosin earlier? Mauser is in completely different leauge. Even thou this one was preety beat up, you could still see that german finish was better. Sights - much clearer on Mauser, action - much smoother on Mauser. And I have not even started talking about the trigger. It would be like comparing cheap chink pocket knife to very good chef knife in terms on precision. Not scaplel yet, but very good anyway. Even recoil is a bit softer on Kar.98.

Don't get me wrong, Mosin Nagant is still a great rifle, lots of fun to shoot and with today's prices - it's a bargain. But there is no denying that german Kar.98 is just better. Prices for them string from 250$-450$ depending on condition and whether it was hacked up by some bubba.