Huff

Animation General

So cartoons and animated films and shit are neat. Let's talk about them.

Currently watching Steven Universe, and I really like it. The characters are all likeable in their own way, the music is pretty nice, and the setting is comfy as can be. Aside from that, I recently saw Frozen and the Croods. I need to rewatch the former because the people I watched it with were talking, but the Croods was surprisingly good.

Non-chinese cartoons? Such a thing exists?

tumblr_n0oc5mQINw1s48ibpo1_1280.jpg

Fell in love with a pretty recent adult swim show called Rick and Morty, it has a lot of likeable characters, the jokes are usually spot on, reminds me a lot of stuff like futurama and doctor who yadda yadda yadda its really good

Shame it went into hiatus for the winter Olympics or something but the first half of the season was great

Rick and Morty is one of the best shows Adult Swim has shown in a long time. The other being China Illinois.

I haven't seen a show increase in quality so much between seasons ever. I liked the first season, but it's no where near the second in animation, story, characters, etc. Comparing it to the youtube videos that the show came from is an even bigger leap. Plus Hulk Hogan as the dean is the best thing ever.

The Amazing World of Gumball is also a great visual feast.

:pinkiegasm:

Okay I know this isn't strictly what this thread is about, but I need an excuse to geek out for a little bit.

So if you know me you've seen my pathetic attempts at animation. What I really love is learning about the history of animation, particularly the technology behind it.

A few years ago I went to the Walt Disney Family Museum. Most of it was about the man himself, but there was also lots of cool tidbits about the "golden age" of animation. There was this tower-like contraption in the gift shop, about 15 feet tall, with several "frames" set inside it. The animators would place individual layers of a scene on these frames, which could be moved independently of one another, and camera at the top of the structure would film these moving layers. All just to make scenes where the camera seems to be "flying" through the environment, with trees and buildings and stuff coming forward and moving to the side! I'll try to find a picture of it if I can.

The Great Mosue Detective is often credited as the first animated film to incorporate CG (in the clock tower scene with all the giant gears and stuff). But not the sort of CG you would expect today where the comptuer renders the whole scene, textures and all. What they did was to design the inside of the clock as a wireframe model, then plan out how the camera would move through it. Then they gave the computer a robot arm and a pencil, and had it draw each frame on an animation cell! Then the actual animator guys added in the colors and mice and stuff!

I...I don't know, I just find this stuff pretty neat. The creative energy people put into just figuring out how to bring characters and stories to life, not just who or what these characters and stories are going to be...it's fuckin'...neat!

...alright, you've been very patient reading that nonsense. Have a few tap-dancing cubes.

0R7FyF5.gif0R7FyF5.gif0R7FyF5.gif0R7FyF5.gif

Ed, Edd, & Eddy master race.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this show was my childhood, my lifeblood, my soul

i loved it to pieces and will forever credit it for my love of cartoons today

i was disappointed when they announced it was going to end, but the movie, when it came, was the perfect tie-together to wrap it all up

and we finally get to see another fully-animated character, eddy's brother

god bless danny antonucci

Archer, Archer, Archer.

Fucking gold.

I do like Archer.

All of my experience with shows has been from my current frame of mind rather than childhood, because we never had anything other than rabbit ears television, never really watched movies, etc. We mainly played video games instead, on our N64 and SNES.

Adventure Time is great.

I like all the DC animated series' I watched. Batman: TAS, Justice League/Unlimited, Static Shock, etc. More recently Young Justice was great until Cartoon Network decided they needed to fill their "Be cock eating whores" quota.

Teen Titans Go

IMO, It's not very funny and the fact that Teen Titans was pretty good is just salt in the wound

Is it just me or are children's cartoons getting trippier/weirder?

This shit right here.

[spoiler2]unclegrandpa-main.jpg[/spoiler2]

ok I just watched a few clips and what the fuck this is horrible

Uncle Grandpa is OKAY, not amazing, not awful, just okay

Almost everything in the current CN lineup is pretty good, except for 2 SHOWS, Annoying Orange, and Teen Titans Go

Also has Nickelodean made anything good lately? Breadwinners, Sanjay & Craig, & that Rabbids show all look awful

Almost everything in the current CN lineup is pretty good, except for 2 SHOWS, Annoying Orange, and Teen Titans Go

Also has Nickelodean made anything good lately? Breadwinners, Sanjay & Craig, & that Rabbids show all look awful

Well unless Korra takes another huge quality drop it'll be watchable

That's honestly the highest praise I can award Korra season 2. Watchable. That's really fucking aggravating when the first season is so damn great.

Yes, CN and Nick have both kind Of degraded from actually smart comedic shows that weren't afraid to push the boundaries every so often to just "hurt durr look how stupid and weird I am!" Though CN has rebounded a bit with shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show (seriously it's the first time I heard the word "crap" in a CN show in a years.

Annoying Orange,

Wait, what?

Why?

Never heard of Rick and Morty and it looks amazing so thanks Silent and Gigo, I'll definitely check that out

As for Korra 2 it really felt like the creators had some amazing ideas but were stuck with Korra because she is a fan favorite; basically all story that WASN'T about Korra was pretty cool and I wouldn't have minded an entire season of that first Avatar guy

also the ending was like five unnecessary deus ex machinas what the fuck