Doopliss2008

TIAM: General Gaming edition

4 hours ago, Razputin said:

Some of the spirit world fights are absurdly hard, the ho-oh one kills me in seconds every time

I think I got lucky with ho-oh because I just kited it, and it ran into the stage hazards and died.

The funky kong one though? Fuck off

4 hours ago, Razputin said:

Some of the spirit world fights are absurdly hard, the ho-oh one kills me in seconds every time

The secret to defeating Ho-Oh is to pick the fattest character you have (mine was Yoshi) and just run away until the fire eruptions appear, and smack him into them until he dies. It worked fine for me, after losing countless times with other stupid techniques.

I also find that it is much easier to unlock challengers if you play like a scrub, like spamming attacks, whiffing moves, not dashing at all, etc, it seems to make the computer go way easier on you.

Someone should make a WW2-themed Battle Royale game in an open world with hunger/thirst mechanics and MOBA towers you can spawn in via killstreak. Put it on Steam for 20 dollars call it like "The meme game for fuckers" or something I don't know it can be shit it doesn't matter it will make money.

If I missed a fad of the past 20 years let me know cause I know I did.

You got the Battle Royale, MOBA, open world, survival meters and WW2. You are missing the FUTURE WAR, card games, lootboxes, hero/class shooters, zombies and crafting, all this being played in a VR headset using a plastic toy instrument.

Joking aside, PS Arena is essentially PlanetSide Lite. It's going to have the shooting mechanics and physics of PS, but in a lobby shooter game. Currently slated to have big team deathmatch (devs saying 250 v 250?) and a Battle Royale mode with up to a thousand players. Maps are big, supposedly only one map on launch that is similar to PS2's Amerish map. Pretty much all art assets are from PS2 except for a few armor and weapons. It will feature vehicles but it seems like they're fixed-loadout vehicles without customization. So far the Flash, Vanguard, Sunderer have been shown as well as a hoverbike. No word on air vehicles. It's going to have a "season" set of development where they add new things like a CTF mode periodically. Buy the season pass!

So if you liked PlanetSide but didn't like all the things that made it PlanetSide (somehow) then this is the game for you! Trying to not get angry.

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

36 minutes ago, Moby said:

You got the Battle Royale, MOBA, open world, survival meters and WW2. You are missing the FUTURE WAR, card games, lootboxes, hero/class shooters, zombies and crafting, all this being played in a VR headset using a plastic toy instrument.

Of course... it all comes together now. A WW2-themed Battle Royale game where 15 different classes (one of whom is a space marine time traveler from 2232) compete in an open world with hunger/thirst mechanics and MOBA towers you can spawn in via killstreak. The top 3 winners get 3/2/1 lootboxes that they can open for cards to play in the minigame that awards crafting materials they use to build new guns and cosmetics to customize their loadout. And the battle royale "bomb" zone or whatever its called will turn you into a zombie if it kills you. I mean you of course die but your corpse becomes a computer-controlled zombie at which point it hunts down other players and it does like 5 damage and dies in one headshot it's really shitty but you get an achievement if it kills someone.

35 minutes ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

Trying to not get angry.

Why contain it?

58 minutes ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

So if you liked PlanetSide but didn't like all the things that made it PlanetSide (somehow) then this is the game for you! Trying to not get angry.

The problem with using the same cake mix in a larger cake pan, is that you will have a really thin cake. And probably wont bake like it should.

Anyway, every time I see some game getting either a massive hundreds vs hundreds or a current bandwagon mode, it doesnt has any depth, gets abandoned or both.

1 hour ago, Raison d'être said:

Why contain it?

It's technically good for the real PS2, because we're sniping anything that they do since the codebases are similar - people are theorizing that PS2's DX11 conversion may have been a joint effort between PS2's team and the people dev-ing PSA. But I still don't like it; the type of game it's trying to be is antithetical to what PlanetSide is. It's like if you modded Halo Reach and removed the high jumps, made Sprint the only armor ability, cranked the damage up on all weapons, removed respawns, removed melee and gave a knife slot instead and made it a bomb defusal gamemode only. And also added crates that had rare knives that russian mafiosos would use to launder money.

1 hour ago, Moby said:

Anyway, every time I see some game getting either a massive hundreds vs hundreds or a current bandwagon mode, it doesnt has any depth, gets abandoned or both.

One of the strengths of PS2 is that per server, all PS2 players can provide gameplay for one another because they're all on the same game instance. If PSA doesn't get really good numbers I wonder how common the "500 player battle royale" and "250v250 TDM" that they want really will be. I imagine that a lot of lobby merging will have to happen before a game gets going.

One of the things PS2 players whined about a LOT was ping issues for people playing abroad (mainly Chinese players flooding the US West server with high-ping players); PS2 team fixed that by adding a new Asia server. If or when PSA starts getting low player count, it's going to be aggregating people from all across the world into their "large matches". The ping issues will be awful, and even worse than other games because of PS2's engine having lots of quirks that make ping issues worse.

Maybe it'll be fine. PS2's shooting is pretty solid once you get used to the mechanics, and the maps should be nice and expansive. But it seems a little... wrong.

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

All my experience with Planetside was either uncoordenated people running around on the newbie zone and dozens of players from two different factions spamming grenades and rockets into and out of a building in the proper game zone, so much stuff on my screen that some players and explosives were invisible.

Maybe I got into it thinking it would be more like Tribes (RIP), but I didnt expect what was basically a team of Demomen on Dustbowl

PS2's problem is that it's too open and it's hard to teach players the ins and outs of it because there's way too many things you can be doing at any time. A lot of teaching a new player is saying, "So we're doing this, and to achieve this we can do this, or that, or this and that, etc." and the new player doesn't know what any of that means. Forget teaching them how to win; teaching them how to have fun is hard. It's like any sandbox game; the way you really figure out how to play it is dependent on yourself. I played mainly Engineer only for my first hundred hours or so of PS2, and didn't touch air vehicles for like 700 hours of play until I woke up and thought "I should really learn how to fly." The new player experience is still to this day a huge concern and one of the things the devs are trying to fix, but it's a long way out.

But once you do figure it out it's a really open game and that's one of its best draws. Getting people to understand what's going on is the first step. Then after that, showing them what they can do is what will really get people to enjoy it. PS2 has a problem with both of those. It doesn't help that its launch was plagued with a bunch of things that were even worse for new players than it is now, like the insane splash damage of lolpods, HE, everything about the Liberator, etc.

Normally Smultimate doesn't let you taunt in online quickplay (which is DUMB), but I found out that the patch released today lets Kirby taunt when he has a copied ability, because otherwise he had no way to get rid of it.

Now the Kirby mains alone shall style all over their opponents!

2 hours ago, Razputin said:

Whoa superbestfriends is breaking apart after being one of the OG LP channels for nine years

I used to watch those guys for years and still occasionally listened to their podcast

No friendship can survive Omikron.

9 hours ago, Expresate said:

I'm having fun, but I've heard the online play is questionable over Wi-Fi. Y/N?

From what I saw, its pretty much paid P2P.

1v1 with people from your area is okay, just increase the distance or the number of players and it gets very laggy.

All this talk of Smash makes me regret passing on the Switch bundle I saw on Black Friday (wasn't actually on sale, but included Mario Kart 8). I keep holding out but with all this talk I don't think I can.

I just 100%'d Adventure Mode in Ultimate just last night, and despite it's novelty, I never want to play it again. Very much like Subspace in that regard. By the time I got to the second map, I was already pretty exhausted, and then it still kept going.

Spoiler

The part where you play as Master Hand is awesome and I'm upset that the only way to get to play him again is to play through Adventure again.

Edited by Veez

only real tedious/annoying part in the game was unlocking everyone, I just want to play spirits board in peace god damn it.

also right now I have a ganon build with a maxed link between worlds main spirit, 1 sword attack up, 1 punch up, and 1kicks up supports, absolutely destroys everything that's not a legendary spirit.