Binary

Star Wars Thread

The Force Unleashed and LEGO Star Wars I and II are the amazing Star Wars games I own. Star Wars Starfighter or whatever it was called? Not so much.

I heard Darth Maul got retconned.

I found my old copy of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron for the PC a few months ago when I was home last.  It still holds up remarkably well.  It was a fantastic game.  That and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II were some of my favorite games as a kid.

WALL OF TEXT INBOUND! (Hey at least I warned you this time)

I have all the movies. I wonder what will happen with the new trilogy coming out. I'm honestly a bit skeptical considering Disney's takeover. Though it might be just me, though, I mean, Disney's capable of doing non-kiddie movies. But I guess we'll see.

As for games, I've got Battlefront II, a couple small GBA games and both Force Unleashed games. I love both Battlefront and Force Unleashed. You know after looking back, you're kind of surprised at how much work and content Lucasarts put into the game, especially by today's standards. It's got good graphics for back in the day, lots o' maps, surprisingly smart bots, 16v16 team support (I think), a creative story mode that uses only multiplayer maps in a nonlinear fashion, Galactic Conquest which turns the game from a straight-up TPS to sort of a strategy game mixed with TPS battles, space battles (that weren't in the first game), being able to play as hero's or villians, the list just goes on.

Surprisingly, the only thing in content it's lacking are gamemodes. There are 4 gamemodes, Conquest which is just straight-up death match until one team's reinforcement count drops to 0, your average CTF mode (either 2Flag or Neutral Flag depending on map), "Hunt" mode on only certain maps where the indigenous aliens either kill each other or tussle with one of the normal factions, then for space battles there's Assault, first to x # of points wins, can be achieved through either destroying enemy fighters, or damaging certain parts of the enemy ship like the engines or communications array. There's also a special mode exclusive to the Mos Eisley map called Hero Assault where it's heroes vs villians. This mode became so popular, that the devs made two DLCs. One was free to download and all it did was add Hero Assault to Kashyyk, the other cost $5, and it added Kit Fisto to the heroes roster and Assaj Ventress to the villians. It also added a few more maps all with Hero Assault playable. Awesome game with lots of replay ability.

The Force Unleashed games are awesome, and it really does unleash the force with all the combos and force powers you can do. And I was pleasantly surprised when the guy that was the main character's voice and face also plays as the vampire in Being Human. Though there are a few little things that bug me. One, is that the platforming can be TERRIBLE at times, it can be really difficult to judge if you're on the platform or not and you just slide off. Secondly, one VERY annoying thing is that certain enemies have attacks that knock you off your feet, and don't fire again until you get up, this is all fine and dandy, but the devs made it so the next attack was like perfectly timed with your recovery animation, knocking you back down, this led to chains of being knocked down, trying to get up, then getting knocked down again with little to no reaction time to avoid it. It was annoying. Finally, it has many game-breaking glitches, like blotching through walls and falling to your death, certain cut scenes sometimes freeze your game,bosses glitching out when going to the next "phase" of the battle, thus you couldn't continue. A lot of these were fixed in the sequel, enemies actually waited until you recovered and MOVING before firing again, platforms became less slippery, and there's not as many game breaking bugs. Overall though, they're great games, and I love em.

I've also got a small collection of toys that I still have when I was younger, though it's NOTHING compared to what I've seen from other Star Wars fans. Trust me.

I had Battlefront 2 on my PS2 (emphasis on had) until the disc was scratched to death by playing it for 4 or so years. I didn't own many games, so Battlefront was pretty much the only good one out of the 4 or so I owned. I also owned the Lego Star Wars games for Episode 4-6 Master Race and Original Trilogy. I also have both Force Unleashed games, which were great.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the extended universe of Starwars?

:pinkiegasm:

It's hit or miss. The Republic Commando novels, for instance, are superb. 

Some of the early Clone Wars stuff, not so much.

Without trying to antagonize anyone, I'm going to go ahead and say that I found both The Force Unleashed games to be absolutely atrocious.

Star Wars is cool, I like Star Wars, but those two games I found to be wholly uninspired. The first one was better than the second, but it wasn't particularly memorable with that said. The convoluted plot and the DeviantArt tier characters that were retconned suddenly into the overarching Star Wars universe were so bad that I had to put down the controller and do something else for a while after a major plot point occurred. Which is a shame, because the gameplay was fun enough. I mean, bringing down a Star Destroyer with the power of the force? Fucking awesome. "Starkiller's" retcon into the original trilogy? I'd rather forget that happened.

I honestly find that the best games and fiction to come from the Star Wars universe, is everything that DOES NOT involve force users. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Republic Commando, Battlefront (I'm aware you can play force users to a degree in that game, but they're not the main focus). Unfortunately George Lucas has managed to paint the whole Sith/Jedi in such a light that 99% of characters written, who happen to be Jedi or Sith, are horribly contrived and many times grossly overpowered, even compared to their peers. I'm not saying that lightsabers and force powers aren't cool, because they certainly are. It's more the concepts of Jedi and Sith that get on my nerves.

The most surprisingly interesting thing to come out of Star Wars in recent time is actually that animated "Clone Wars" TV series. As I'm sure most people did when it started airing, I wrote it off as your typical kiddie-cartoon. And it is. To an extent. The first season has an incredibly "Saturday morning cartoon" feeling. Interestingly enough, it changes tone completely following that and becomes a lot... Darker, at the lack of a better word. Death, destruction, torture, betrayal and slavery become major themes within the series and after season 3, I would hesitate with calling it a children's cartoon. 

Point being: If you're feeling in need of some Star Wars, but don't feel like rewatching the trilogies for the umptienth time, you could give the animated TV series a go. Season 1 is a bit of a struggle, but it really does get a lot better following that.

Of course it has its ups and downs. Some arcs are better than others.

I remember the short animated Clone Wars things on Cartoon Network, each episode being what, 5 minutes long? I never watched anything much past that apart from an animated clone wars thing that led straight into the third film.

Force Unleashed, I barely noticed there was a story.

I don't really delve into Star Wars other than watching the six movies.

I'm a fan of Machete Order, though. It's basically having 4,5,6 be the main storyline. The viewer watches 4 and 5, and then cuts to 1,2,3 for an extended flashback to learn of Vader's origins, then continues to the finale at 6.

I'm a fan of Machete Order, though. It's basically having 4,5,6 be the main storyline. The viewer watches 4 and 5, and then cuts to 1,2,3 for an extended flashback to learn of Vader's origins, then continues to the finale at 6.

Machete Order actually cuts out 1 altogether.  Nothing that happens in the Phantom Menace really does anything to influence the rest of the saga, and let's be real here-it sucks.  I've actually watched the saga in that order (4 5 2 3 6) and I gotta say-it really works.  It's kinda surprising how much better the prequels make Return of the Jedi-there's a lot of parallels in it that you miss if you watch it numerically, or 4 5 6 1 2 3.

So, I have played MANY of the games:

Dark Forces

Dark Forces 2

Mysteries of the Sith

Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Battlefront

Battlefront 2

Lego Starwars

Lego Starwars 2

Empire at war + Forces of Corruption

Force Unleashed

Force Unleashed 2

Republic Commando

Knights of the Old Republic

Knights of the Old Republic 2

The Old Republic

Maybe X-wing Alliance. I don't remember.

Maybe Tie Fighter. I don't remember.

Maybe Force Commander. I don't remember.

Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Episode 1: Racer

The Lighsaber Battle Game

Also some of Clone Wars Adventures. Not proud of it.

Good games, most of them.

So I recently rewatched the original animated Clone Wars series from 2003 or whatever, and honestly, it did a better job of showing the war than either of the movies did.  Also, it still hurts when I remember just how hyped I was for General Grievous, only for him to be so fucking stupid in the movie.  I mean...look at this motherfucker-

[spoiler2]Grievous_attacks_Ki-Adi-Mundi.jpg[/spoiler2]

Dude was a fucking badass.  But nooooo, in the movie he's basically a Bond villain with a chest cold.  Second biggest disappointment of the movies, hands-down.  The first being the fact that Darth Maul had about 15 minutes of screen time total.