Just a Gigolo

TIAM: Entertainment Stuff

1 hour ago, Facade said:

If you can show that I've complained that an anime not aimed for me isn't pandering to me i'll for sure concede

No one is complaining that Thundercats Roar isn't pandering.

We are complaining that it is generally shit.

4 hours ago, Moby said:

41f.png

I thought it was very obvious at least from the video (which granted i'll assume you didn't watch and went straight to twitter to look for affirmation) that the creators of the show seem very attached to Thundercats and clearly want to pass on that feeling to a younger generation in a format that would appeal to a youth in 2018 whilst still retaining the core fundamentals of the show.

1 hour ago, Facade said:

I thought it was very obvious at least from the video (which granted i'll assume you didn't watch and went straight to twitter to look for affirmation) that the creators of the show seem very attached to Thundercats and clearly want to pass on that feeling to a younger generation in a format that would appeal to a youth in 2018 whilst still retaining the core fundamentals of the show.

Still deflecting conversation about the quality of the show itself.  The creator's motivations are completely irrelevant when it comes to whether a show is good enough.  They can have the best of intentions and still make something horrible.  I mean, I legitimately think that Ed Wood was a good guy who really wanted to make good movies, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to pretend that his movies aren't shit.

Besides, what indications do we have from what we've seen of the show itself that the "core fundamentals" will be preserved beyond the basic premise and character names?

And it's not even that *a* show has this style, it's that almost *every* show now has this style. Powerpuff Girls and Thundercats were aimed at children just as well when I was that age but then they didn't both look like the exact same interchangeable focustested slog

It's not even that it looks the same, it's that it looks like shit. Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab look the same, but they look good. Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom look the same, but they look good.

It's a matter of talented artists having a style they carry to other works they do. The people working on these homogenized Cartoon Network shows lack that talent.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Rynjinstein, MD said:

It's not even that it looks the same, it's that it looks like shit. Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab look the same, but they look good. Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom look the same, but they look good.

It's a matter of talented artists having a style they carry to other works they do. The people working on these homogenized Cartoon Network shows lack that talent.

The homogenization is the point.  They can transfer artists from one show to another without having to worry about them learning a new style.

And for what it's worth, I think that a lot of animators who do this type of stuff probably do have the talent to do something better.  I would guess that the style is the result of an executive decision to save costs.

The sad thing is that you can save costs and still have nice looking animation, provided that you make a conscious stylistic decision.  The original Powerpuff Girls is a great example of that.  For an older one, this whole short was basically a study in how using transferring between exaggerated poses could save on animation costs while still looking good:

16 hours ago, Facade said:

whilst still retaining the core fundamentals of the show.

If "core fundamentals" means basic character design and names, then they fucking nailed it.

And I guess to be fair too, this trend of homogenization isn't anything new either.  You have the "generic anime" style used all over the place in the mid-00's (such as in Teen Titans, Avatar and Totally Spies), the "thick line" 50's inspired style of Bruce Hartman, Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken common slightly before that, Bruce Timm's style common slightly before that, the style popularized by Don Bluth used in the 80's, the cost-cutting style of Hanna Barbera used by practically every 70's animated show, the Chuck Jones Style, the Disney style, etc. etc.

That being said, you'll notice that most of these trends were inspired by a new animator developing his own style to fit his own personality and the needs of whatever show/movie he is working on, with that style being copied after that by people with less creativity simply because it works.  And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that; Avatar and the Big O are great shows, for example, despite having hugely derivative styles.  But I can't really see the pioneer for the current superbland trend.  It seems to have simultaneously shown up on several shows without warning, and it does seem to be suspiciously "corporate" in its design in that its sensibilities all go back to cost cutting rather than serving any stylistic concerns.

29 minutes ago, Primal Phoenix said:

It's for kids so it doesn't matter if you think it's shit. 

Honestly the show has done something valuable for me already: provided me a litmus test showing whose opinions can be ignored.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

Anyone who deflects criticism, on a dying website devoted almost entirely to bitching about pointless things, with one liners that could be used in any situation whatsoever.

Alright, so the fact that it's a literal children's show and therefore your opinion is not one that the creators care about is deflecting, yeah? Could it not just be that your tastes don't align with that of a child? Then again that seems quite unlikely given your last 2 posts.

3 minutes ago, Primal Phoenix said:

Alright, so the fact that it's a literal children's show and therefore your opinion is not one that the creators care about is deflecting, yeah? Could it not just be that your tastes don't align with that of a child? Then again that seems quite unlikely given your last 2 posts.

What gave you the impression that me (or anyone else in this thread for that matter) thinks that the creators care about our opinions?

We are just saying that a show that looks bad looks bad.

It's much the same as when anyone complains about anything whatsoever on these forums.  I have no idea why you would get hot and bothered by it.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Phoenix you revoke those "likes" right this instant and replace them with good Christian reps or so help me.

But I did really really really like those posts.

It's much the same as when anyone complains about anything whatsoever on these forums.  I have no idea why you would get hot and bothered by it.

My mistake, I wasn't aware that this forum was only designed for people to post their opinions without being contested at all.

Personally I'd be fine with continuing the ongoing discussion of the history of animation, whether its homogenization is good or bad, etc.

I have doubts about whether having someone continuously post one line gotcha's is going to do much to make the conversation interesting though.

1 minute ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Personally I'd be fine with continuing the ongoing discussion of the history of animation, whether its homogenization is good or bad, etc.

I have doubts about whether having someone continuously post one line gotcha's is going to do much to make the conversation interesting though.

Please stop deflecting.

1 hour ago, Primal Phoenix said:

Kids have better taste than a lot of people give them credit for. At the age range this show seems to be aimed at (given it's Cartoon Network, somewhere around 9-12), kids have already grown out of the stage where simply making funny faces and screaming is always what they want out of entertainment.

There's plenty of great kids shows which are also great shows in their own right, or are kids shows that are clearly aimed at kids with no appeal to adults but it's also clear that there's quality and care involved in the production.

This show doesn't look to be either of those.

4 minutes ago, Wulff said:

Please stop deflecting.

Deflecting what?  I've given a much longer outline of my views on this topic than anyone else in the thread.  Probably too long, actually.