Just a Gigolo

TIAM: Entertainment Stuff

49 minutes ago, hugthebed2 said:

Are you sure Sabrina the Teenage Witch isn't accurate?

Whenever I hear a cat get pissed off the result sounds more like something you'd hear in the black lodge in Twin Peaks.

Which makes me think, perhaps if we reversed the audio of cat yowls we'd actually understand them.

1 hour ago, Moby said:

Disney? The ones that are making live action movies of all their animations?

Yes, exactly.  If 3D really is better than those should be universally amazing.

On 10/22/2014 at 8:53 PM, kayohgee said:

Fringe was such a good show.

Wait you actually watched the show and still post here.  Can you give me a dose of sanity and confirm that the ending made no sense since...:

If Walter stopped the observers from ever existing, then logically all of their interference with the timeline should have been erased.  I mean, that was the point, erase them from history so they don't fuck up the future.  But then that means that September would never have interrupted Walter in the alternate universe, meaning that Peter in the alternate universe would have successfully been cured, and so Walter from our universe would never have torn a hole in the fabric of the universe to save him.  That would mean that the alternate universe would no longer have a beef with ours, and indeed would not even be aware of our existence, meaning that ZFT would never have been created in order to stop them.  Therefore basically everything in the entire show should have been erased.  But most importantly, Peter never would have come to this universe, and Olivia would never have been given the ability to cross between universe (there being no need to get Peter back to the other universe or to defend against incursions from the other universe), meaning that they never would have met and certainly would never had had a child.  It only makes sense if you assume that the "good" observers still can time travel, despite their present never existing, while the "bad" ones who actually invade somehow are successfully erased from existence.

4 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Wait you actually watched the show and still post here.  Can you give me a dose of sanity and confirm that the ending made no sense since...:

Reveal hidden contents

If Walter stopped the observers from ever existing, then logically all of their interference with the timeline should have been erased.  I mean, that was the point, erase them from history so they don't fuck up the future.  But then that means that September would never have interrupted Walter in the alternate universe, meaning that Peter in the alternate universe would have successfully been cured, and so Walter from our universe would never have torn a hole in the fabric of the universe to save him.  That would mean that the alternate universe would no longer have a beef with ours, and indeed would not even be aware of our existence, meaning that ZFT would never have been created in order to stop them.  Therefore basically everything in the entire show should have been erased.  But most importantly, Peter never would have come to this universe, and Olivia would never have been given the ability to cross between universe (there being no need to get Peter back to the other universe or to defend against incursions from the other universe), meaning that they never would have met and certainly would never had had a child.  It only makes sense if you assume that the "good" observers still can time travel, despite their present never existing, while the "bad" ones who actually invade somehow are successfully erased from existence.

Spoiler

It's been a while since I finished it so there are a lot of finer details I've forgotten. One of the better theories I've heard is kind of in line with what you mentioned - that Walter didn't erase the Observers' timeline completely. Taking Michael into the future may not have prevented the Observers from being created altogether, it may have just created a new timeline in which the Observers don't end up having their emotions purged completely. They end up evolving into more benevolent scientists , with the final timeline making some kind of natural "course correction" that ensures September still sets off the events of the series while exploring to avoid a paradox. Maybe Walter even does that from his position in the future as he's also aware that needs to happen.

You could also argue that Peter and Olivia can still end up together in the main universe through an entirely different series of events. The ending is messy as hell either way, but I think the writers realized that and were at least smart enough to keep things very vague and only gave us a short glimpse of the final timeline. I think there's a lot of room to fill in the blanks.

Edited by kayohgee

52 minutes ago, kayohgee said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's been a while since I finished it so there are a lot of finer details I've forgotten. One of the better theories I've heard is kind of in line with what you mentioned - that Walter didn't erase the Observers' timeline completely. Taking Michael into the future may not have prevented the Observers from being created altogether, it may have just created a new timeline in which the Observers don't end up having their emotions purged completely. They end up evolving into more benevolent scientists , with the final timeline making some kind of natural "course correction" that ensures September still sets off the events of the series while exploring to avoid a paradox. Maybe Walter even does that from his position in the future as he's also aware that needs to happen.

You could also argue that Peter and Olivia can still end up together in the main universe through an entirely different series of events. The ending is messy as hell either way, but I think the writers realized that and were at least smart enough to keep things very vague and only gave us a short glimpse of the final timeline. I think there's a lot of room to fill in the blanks.

Thanks.

The few people I had discussed this with before were upset at the last episode, but only because Walter mysteriously vanishes from history at the start of the Observer invasion, despite there being no real reason for him disappearing then and time travel not working like that previously in the series.  But when I brought up all this stuff about the lack of observers screwing up everything in the previous seasons they got confused and said that I was reading too much into minor details.  Since those "minor details" included the motivations of every single antagonist group, and they were spelled out at length in multiple episodes, I couldn't see how anyone could miss the problem.  It got to be to where I thought maybe 

I was the crazy one, if I was the only one noticing the problem.