Just a Gigolo

Overwatch

I get the feeling that we should make an Overwatch thread.

No.

:pinkiegasm:

Yes.

:mlp:

From the previews of the original twelve, I'm looking forward to Widowmaker the most. Sniper with mobility options, traps, and wallhacks? Yes, please.

I'm also pretty excited for mind games with Tracer, sneaky ganks with Reaper, and Propane Nightmares frags with Pharah.

I don't know what to think about Overwatch honestly.

On one hand, I think its nice to see that Blizzard are branching out and trying something new (for the company). I also find the artstyle they've chosen to be very endearing and truth be told, I can see the potential in Overwatch.

On the other hand, it's another arena-based class shooter with some tiny twists. It's new for Blizzard, but not exactly the new innovation in gaming history. I worry greatly about the development team's ability to balance such a game, considering their limited success with games such as World of Warcraft and to an extent, Starcraft 2. It's not that Blizzard does not have the ability to create a balanced game and World of Warcraft is a bit of an unfair comparison, because that game is vastly bloated with abilities and gimmicky mechanics. That being said, if you've followed Starcraft 2 even a little bit on the competitive level, you will know that Blizzard have become notorious within the Starcraft community because they seem unable to pay even the slightest attention to the issues, that the community brings up. That isn't always a bad thing, but it is definitely a big part of Starcraft 2's extreme stagnation.

As far as I am aware, they haven't said anything official about the payment plan for Overwatch. I assume it will be F2P with a cash shop for cosmetics etc. Unfortunately, that also worries me a bit, especially considering some of the ridiculous items Blizzard have made available for purchase with real life currency in World of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm. It's not Pay 2 Win by any means, but in both games they took the immediate leap into butchering any semblance of art direction. It's like Team Fortress, except rather than it happening gradually over years, it was just immediately in the game from the get-go for the sake of cash grab.

I don't want to immediately write the game off and I have already signed up for the beta, but I have serious reservations about it. I'm hoping that Blizzard will be a bit more serious about this new IP, compared to their latest "releases" (Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm (Which is still in testing, I know)). It's clear that those games are meant for a casual audience and as such, I don't really mind the fact that they're riddled with sillyness (Heroes of the Storm specifically), but for me it kills any interest. I don't think worse of anyone for enjoying those games, but I lose interest really fast. So hopefully, Overwatch will be a more serious investment from Blizzard's end in terms of regular content update and balance patches, even outside of the beta.

Edit. Oh and I really liked the look of Reinhardt.

As far as I am aware, they haven't said anything official about the payment plan for Overwatch. I assume it will be F2P with a cash shop for cosmetics etc. Unfortunately, that also worries me a bit, especially considering some of the ridiculous items Blizzard have made available for purchase with real life currency in World of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm.

All the stuff you can buy for WoW with RL money fits the game, except for the Swift Windsteed. No idea what the guy who thought that up was smoking. It's a game where you can be a blue goat from space, a British werewolf, or the end result of Cthulhu cursing a bunch of robots. There is a great variety of themes and settings. From dead serious to silly and lighthearted.

I was always under the impression "Fuck art style, add clown suits" was just the moto of most Mobas.

While the body types of the female characters range from skinny to skinny w/ big hips, the racial diversity of the cast on the whole is pretty good.

The gameplay itself looks really slick. I'm especially interested in playing Zenyatta and Hanzo. I wonder how this'll stack up against Gigantic.

People keep complaining about all of the insta-kill mechanics and hit-scan. Obviously some of those "insta-kills" are probably there just for the sake of the trailer, and since this is the first reveal, I definitely know it's just an early WIP, so I'll wait and see what the final product looks like before making any judgements.

I've been watching the Blizzcon stream they did for Overwatch, and in the Q&A someone did ask about the payment model and system specs.

When asked about the payment model, they basically said that they (Chris Metzen and some random guy) weren't the ones to ask about that, and nothing has been decided yet. System specs are too soon to tell, but Blizzard has always been good about letting people run their games on toasters.

Honestly, I'd prefer a F2P model with just skins and stuff for sale.

Hanzo, Zenyatta, Reaper, and Tracer look really damn fun to play. Everyone does, actually. Even the Medic character looks like she gets some neat goodies (flight!).

Hanzo especially with his wall climbing and bow using shenanigans. DOUBLE DRAGOOOON! is just icing on the cake.

Just wanted to share this image. Seems like there is at least 3 characters that have been unannounced (the ones on the left). 

lineup-wide.1z8E7.jpg

Oh and apparently Blizzard have commented saying that there will be NO GAMEPLAY CUSTOMIZATION (Such as talent trees and so forth), which I am quite happy about. Though they did mention "long-term progression"

It has also been confirmed that Overwatch was made with the scraps of the elusive "Titan Project" that Blizzard had been working on. It supposedly shares similar traits to the intended PvP mode from Titan, though it has morphed into something a lot different in this new incarnation.

This kind of worries me

I'd prefer it if they'd start with 6-9 classes and then balance those accordingly to make a baseline. Starting out with 15(?) characters seems impossible to ever get balanced

There is also the danger that there are only so many roles you can have in an FPS which will make some classes always inferior to others. Offense, defense, picking, support... where else are you gonna go?

Just wanted to share this image. Seems like there is at least 3 characters that have been unannounced (the ones on the left). 

lineup-wide.1z8E7.jpg

Oh and apparently Blizzard have commented saying that there will be NO GAMEPLAY CUSTOMIZATION (Such as talent trees and so forth), which I am quite happy about. Though they did mention "long-term progression"

It has also been confirmed that Overwatch was made with the scraps of the elusive "Titan Project" that Blizzard had been working on. It supposedly shares similar traits to the intended PvP mode from Titan, though it has morphed into something a lot different in this new incarnation.

Hm, those three on the side look interesting. Guessing the cowboy is all about sharpshooting and pistol fights, the Warframe mech is all about being agile and only brings a sword to battle, and the gas mask guy... Well, I have no ide.a

I'm quite happy about the lack of talent trees and such, at least on release, so that they can have a more balanced base game before they add to it (like how TF2 had no gameplay customization for a while, and then brought out the unlockable weapons in the class updates.)

This kind of worries me

I'd prefer it if they'd start with 6-9 classes and then balance those accordingly to make a baseline. Starting out with 15(?) characters seems impossible to ever get balanced

There is also the danger that there are only so many roles you can have in an FPS which will make some classes always inferior to others. Offense, defense, picking, support... where else are you gonna go?

I think if DOTA can have over a hundred characters with around a good 90% "they're balanced" degree of success, it's not too skeptical to say the same can be done for a class shooter. They'll be hiccups in beta and on launch, as there always is - remember when Spy couldn't pick up metal, or when Soldier and Demoman had twice the ammo pool - but it isn't an impossible feat. In fact, Super Monday Night Combat showed that it's possible (although they executed the idea poorly and the game died as a result.)

As for the roles, that's understandable, although the role system is similar to TF2's in that it's more of a suggestion than anything, and that there is variety within that role to justify picking one class over the other, as they do have enough differences to make them distinct (in the same way that Soldier and Scout share the same role but are radically different, Widowmaker and Torbjorn are both Defense but almost nothing alike.) I can see it being a problem as the number of heroes increases, though, so fair point. Let's hope they've still got a lot of good ideas in the tank, rather than just scraps.

dota is not an fps however, and I don't think you can compare the two. There are only so many variations you can make on "shoot the guy" and keep them all equally viable. That isn't such a disaster for normal play, but if you'd ask yourself "what team do I want if I really really want to win?" I don't think you can keep all classes viable. 6v6 TF2 is a great example: 90% of the time, 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, a demoman and a medic are the most efficient setup. Sometimes there are situations in which you want a heavy, engineer or sniper since they can fill niche roles, but Spy and Pyro are just almost always miserable choices if you really really want to win, even though they function perfectly fine in a normal pub setting.

And of course the question is; where do you balance around? If everyone can oneshot everyone, is that balanced? You need to have a starting point. Again, for TF2, with only 9 classes and no unlocks it was very easy to quickly notice that the Grenade Launcher holding 6 shots was broken, and that the Spy needed to be able to pick up metal to be viable, et cetera. Then the Medic update came out, and the new unlocks could be balanced towards this previously set standard for balance. If you start out with 15 classes with at least partially interchangeable roles, it would be incredibly hard to find a treshold to balance towards.

Pharah>Symmetra>Reinhardt.

When the trailer first showed I was really dissapointed, but then I saw the gameplay and I just can't fucking wait. Don't care if it's F2P or if they want me to drop £50 like I did with Diablo 3, I'm gonna play it. I mean this could just be the Blizzcon hype train talking but I don't think I've been this excited for a game in quite a while

Pharrah and Tracer seem really cool. Finally Paero and I can live out our Egyptian woman dreams.

were fuicking doing it boyos

thank u metzen 4 realising the dream of being able of beautiful egyptian womens in my video game ;________;;;;;77

I mean I ain't judging or anything but damn, that's an oddly specific...thing.

Literally yes.

(more eliza art pls ;_; )

oh yeah also Tracers voice pisses me off  as soon as I heard her say something like "DAAANT WURRY LUV" like i mean sure go for an accent thats pretty cool and all but its a bit over the top if you ask me

Seems like it will be interesting, but I'm not sure how well this class mechanic will work out.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I've invested a lot into TF2, and it would take a lot for me to switch.

I think if DOTA can have over a hundred characters with around a good 90% "they're balanced" degree of success, it's not too skeptical to say the same can be done for a class shooter. They'll be hiccups in beta and on launch, as there always is - remember when Spy couldn't pick up metal, or when Soldier and Demoman had twice the ammo pool - but it isn't an impossible feat. In fact, Super Monday Night Combat showed that it's possible (although they executed the idea poorly and the game died as a result.)

As for the roles, that's understandable, although the role system is similar to TF2's in that it's more of a suggestion than anything, and that there is variety within that role to justify picking one class over the other, as they do have enough differences to make them distinct (in the same way that Soldier and Scout share the same role but are radically different, Widowmaker and Torbjorn are both Defense but almost nothing alike.) I can see it being a problem as the number of heroes increases, though, so fair point. Let's hope they've still got a lot of good ideas in the tank, rather than just scraps.

DOTA had ~15 years to balance, and all of that was as a free game, so gameplay and marketing never once came at odds.

Seems like it will be interesting, but I'm not sure how well this class mechanic will work out.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I've invested a lot into TF2, and it would take a lot for me to switch.

I personally hate this argument. It's a game, not a spouse. You're allowed to play more than one game at a time.

Yeah, but I know that if I don't make a commitment to play a game consistently, I probably won't play it because I most likely will suck.

They don't call me "worst player world" for no reason.