Just a Gigolo

Overwatch

1 hour ago, Idiot Cube said:

I wish we had a term to show ironic dismissal of competitive gaming. Something in the same vein as "sportsball".

It's not dismissal of esports in general, it's of Overwatch as an esport.

It was designed from the ground up to be a casual game, and is great for that. But so much of that design makes it a really shitty competitive game, especially the focus on stuns (and other forced movement/passivity abilities) and ultimate abilities.

Genji and Mercy alone make it a bad esports game, aside everything else. Resurrection abilities are unsatisfying to play against and set in stone part of the meta from the start; the other supports may as well not exist. And having somebody that can completely determine an engagement (Genji determines whether you fight at all, when you're allowed to fire shots, and when the fight ends) with little counterplay means you're also stuck playing around another really dumb roadblock (though at least he's not a 100% pick like Mercy).

Don't even get me started on how shield tanks make it an exceptionally uninteresting game to watch.

3 hours ago, Expresate said:

UniqueLikelyDamselfly-size_restricted.gi

Is this a "new hero so everyone wants a turn" phenomenon or the typical "new hero is broken and OP and Blizz doesn't care about powercreep" phenomenon? I haven't actually attempted to play her in public yet, but I'm assuming it's the second.

47 minutes ago, ToasterToastin' said:

Is this a "new hero so everyone wants a turn" phenomenon or the typical "new hero is broken and OP and Blizz doesn't care about powercreep" phenomenon? I haven't actually attempted to play her in public yet, but I'm assuming it's the second.

It's the first.