ICBMoose

Literature and Whatnot

There is probly a thread about books here somewhere already but I don't care I'm not gonna look for it I'm damn well making a new one.

At the moment I am reading A Feast For Crows b George R. R. Martin and The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov.  I have recently been reading any Isaac Asimov thing I can find, I just finished Forward the Foundation.

So what tomes have you freaks been entertaining yourselves with?

Just finished my yearly rereading of Stephen King's The Stand, which is my absolute favorite book of all time.  It's simply one of the greatest pieces of literature I've ever read.  Right now, I'm reading the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, who's pretty well-known for writing the Dresden Files (another of my favorite series).  It's kinda like Avatar: The Last Airbender meets Rome meets the Flood from Halo.  It's nifty.

the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher

I really oughta read the last book of that series, I read the others like a year ago but the library didn't have First Lord's Fury.

I should start to read again.

But school made me hate literature. Think about a 10-14 year old child being forced to read adult literature books from the 1900 and before for tests and stuff for 4+ years. 

My favorite series is the Ender Series, particularly the side-series starting from Bean's perspective. His intellect is just staggering.

As for more recent things, I finished Tom Sawyer a while ago, so I moved on to Huckleberry Finn. Man, those dialects can be a bit hard to understand, sometimes.

My favorite series is the Ender Series, particularly the side-series starting from Bean's perspective. His intellect is just staggering.

As for more recent things, I finished Tom Sawyer a while ago, so I moved on to Huckleberry Finn. Man, those dialects can be a bit hard to understand, sometimes.

Bean is the best.

i need to get around to reading Dune.

I can give it the highest recommendation, though I found the sequals a bit weird.

Just finished my yearly rereading of Stephen King's The Stand, which is my absolute favorite book of all time.  It's simply one of the greatest pieces of literature I've ever read.  Right now, I'm reading the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, who's pretty well-known for writing the Dresden Files (another of my favorite series).  It's kinda like Avatar: The Last Airbender meets Rome meets the Flood from Halo.  It's nifty.

Incorrect. It's the Lost Roman Legion meets Pokemon.

He drew two random "bad ideas" from a hat and that's what determined what his new series was going to be. Those are what he pulled, and so Codex Alera was born.

It's school holidays in Australia right now, but we received a sheet on our next unit in English class. It is...

Australian Bush Poetry

and The Hunger Games

It's the one unit.

My English teacher is frickin awesome but can someone tell me how those two things are related?

It's school holidays in Australia right now, but we received a sheet on our next unit in English class. It is...

Australian Bush Poetry

and The Hunger Games

It's the one unit.

My English teacher is frickin awesome but can someone tell me how those two things are related?

Survival in the wilderness when everything actively hates you?

Decided to take a break from Codex Alera after watching World War Z to reread the book...I'm kinda depressed about it.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie.  But the book is sooooo much better, not to mention that the two have nearly nothing in common.  I wish that the movie had used the whole multiple-viewpoints narrative, instead of just another generic action hero thing.  And goddamn it, why did they cut the fucking battle of Yonkers?! 

In into extremely high fantasy stuff which can be difficult to find quality books like that. Currently into the mistweaver series, super unique.

I like classics simply because there's always a sense that what's written is genuine, unlike a lot of today's stuff which feels forced. Here's my favorite book of all time.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Amazing story about Rodia, a desperate student who kills for money and then pays the price for it. The writing style, something paced yet meticulously descriptive is something to be in awe of. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend you at least pick it up and until the murder.

Original text:
Spoiler
TRANIO
'Tis well, sir, that you hunted for yourself.
'Tis thought your deer does hold you at a bay.

BAPTISTA
Oh, ho, Petruchio! Tranio hits you now.

Translated:
Spoiler
TRANIO
Good thing you're only hunting for yourself.
Rumor has it that your hands are full with just your one deer.

BAPTISTA
OOOOOOOH!! You just got BURNED!

Shakespeare is great.

Also, Orson Scott Card knew about Ebola before it was cool.

Shakespeare is great.

Also, Orson Scott Card knew about Ebola before it was cool.

Shakespeare is brilliant.  He gave me the insult "cankerblossom."

Orson Scott Card knows about a ridiculously massive amount of stuff, I am suspicious he might have consumed an encyclopedia at some point.

Things in books that seem to affect me the most are when a character becomes the world's best lawyer/debater in some debate or argument. Asking the perfect questions to get the truth out of the other person, without exposing themselves or making a mistake.

“But it was a comfort that there could be no uneasiness in a connection with anything so beatific as the radiant image of my little girl, the vision of whose angelic beauty had probably more than anything else to do with the restlessness that, before morning,made me several times rise and wander about my room to take in the whole picture and prospect; to watch, from my open window, the faint summer dawn, to look at such portions of the rest of the house as I could catch, and to listen, while, in the fading dusk, the first birds began to twitter, for the possible recurrence of a sound or two, less natural and not without, but within, that I had fancied I heard.”

This sentence affected me a whole lot.

WHY THE FUCK ARE ALL OF THOSE THOUGHTS ONE GODDAMN SENTENCE? SO, MANY, FUCKING, COMMAS,,,,,,