Raison d'être

TIAM IV: Guydiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Cockmongler

That's why cold weather is better than hot weather. If you're cold, put more clothes on. If you're hot, you can't take more clothes off once you're naked.

9 hours ago, Medic said:

That's why cold weather is better than hot weather. If you're cold, put more clothes on. If you're hot, you can't take more clothes off once you're naked.

You say that like you need your dermal layer.

I hate cold weather. A breeding ground for disease. Case in point, I get a three day weekend for Veteran's Day, and I spend most of it lying in bed. Happens every year, as soon as a week with an average high of ~60o, I catch a cold.

Even philosophically, cold weather is a sign of death, and lack of energy, even death himself is often described as having a cold touch. Meanwhile, heat is usually a sign of life and abundance of energy. Let's also not forget the eventual heat death of the universe.

1 hour ago, John Reapson said:

I hate cold weather. A breeding ground for disease. Case in point, I get a three day weekend for Veteran's Day, and I spend most of it lying in bed. Happens every year, as soon as a week with an average high of ~60o, I catch a cold.

Even philosophically, cold weather is a sign of death, and lack of energy, even death himself is often described as having a cold touch. Meanwhile, heat is usually a sign of life and abundance of energy. Let's also not forget the eventual heat death of the universe.

Isn't hot weather more accommodating of disease? Bacteria thrives in warm environments. Like jungles.

Just now, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Isn't hot weather more accommodating of disease? Bacteria thrives in warm environments. Like jungles.

When I say "hot weather" I'm talking dry heat, as in, SoCal hot, not humid heat.

I enjoy cold weather, since you can heat up by doing shit while in hot weather doing shit just makes you hotter and more uncomfortable.

Now before some smartass living in Coldsville, Alaska jumps in I don't mean I enjoy shoveling snow in -50 degree weather, I'm talking about where I live.

Sometimes I miss the snow. But, then I remember that just because it's cold doesn't mean it's snowing and I stop missing it.

Cold without a foot of snow is just awful. At least if there's snow, you have an indicator that "yep, pretty chilly."

I like desert winters. It's really pretty out there, hiking in Winter is nice and fun because you can warm yourself up with your pace and if you hike in the right places you get snow without having to deal with driving in snow.

Though, if you took a picture of Vegas in the summer and in the winter and compared them, not much would change unless you happened to snap a picture of the one guy in the Valley with a grass lawn, or of the few parks that actually have trees that shed leaves.

In the rare times that I'm driving, it sucks when I feel like putting on music but feel too uncomfortable to play music from my phone. The cars I have access to only have CD support and most of all I feel weird whenever I actually do play something because I'm so self-concious about my tastes in stuff and playing stuff in the car feels public enough to be weird.

Get yourself a little bluetooth speaker. Better quality than playing from your phone at least.

And also who cares about your music? Others will only hear it briefly as they drive past, or if you're stationary, they're probably listening to their own crap that's not to your tastes.

I was reading some stories about Pythagoras, and it finally hit me that he was just the ancient world's version of Chuck Norris.

There's even a story about how a snake bit Pythagoras, and then the snake died.

7 hours ago, hugthebed2 said:

In the rare times that I'm driving, it sucks when I feel like putting on music but feel too uncomfortable to play music from my phone. The cars I have access to only have CD support and most of all I feel weird whenever I actually do play something because I'm so self-concious about my tastes in stuff and playing stuff in the car feels public enough to be weird.

I would play music from my phone but my car is a little special and I think the AUX cord that we used to use literally is inside the dashboard now and I can't be arsed to take off the plate and find it.

3 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

I was reading some stories about Pythagoras, and it finally hit me that he was just the ancient world's version of Chuck Norris.

There's even a story about how a snake bit Pythagoras, and then the snake died.

Wasn't Plato a fuckin buff ass wrestler in his earlier years?

8 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Wasn't Plato a fuckin buff ass wrestler in his earlier years?

Ancient Greece has compulsory military service iirc, and sports were a huge part of their culture, so that's quite likely to be true.

So he can either persuade you or chokeslam you. No matter how he does it, you'll see things his way.

12 hours ago, Huff said:

If y’all don’t skid down Main Street blasting the Hibike! Euphonium season 2 ost at 274 dB you need to get the FUCK outta my FACE

I drive through town blasting Song of the Dragonborn, does that count?

Started work as a temporary administrator around 3 1/2 weeks ago, and although I've been hearing rumblings about it for the past week or so I've had it confirmed today that they want to take me on as a permanent contract and give me a promotion into a different team that they'll be starting in the new year as a data analyst. 

Just got babby's first phishing e-mail.

The terminology used for our passwords and IT department were all wrong (in fact two different incorrect names for the IT department were used), the site linked didn't even attempt to match the proper color scheme or other graphical elements of the official sites, had several mispellings and all words lower cased.

But to top it off it was sent by a random Freshman student using his institutional e-mail address.

Forwarded it to the appropriate part of IT, got the response "yes this is a spam e-mail, but this is not really a of IT at this time."

So the sad thing is that babby's first phishing e-mail may actually work.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

Thor was quite good. Jeff Goldblum is a menace to society.

Spoiler

Also I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking one of the pun jokes, but regardless of how much I might be reading into it it's really pissing me off.

So I got a call from someone wanting to do a survey. I answer in English since I was just talking in English to someone else. The person on the phone asks if I speak Greek, as the survey is in Greek. I answer "όχι" which means no in Greek and tell them I'm not interested, again in Greek. They apologise for the inconvenience, say they are only looking for Greek speakers, and hang up.