Raison d'être

TIAM IV: Guydiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Cockmongler

I have over a thousand posts on my personal writing website. No one actually reads any of my crap but here I am, still posting crap.

9 hours ago, Razputin said:

^that is fucking fascinating

In other news I slipped with my bike yesterday and chipped a piece of bone in my wrist. I have to wear a cast for two weeks which is an absolute nightmare seeing that I'm right in the middle of my phd

what sane person rides a bike in december

On 12/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, Gyokuyoutama said:

There was a forum that I used to frequent that specifically cultivated political flamewars, all for clicks.  A former mod actually leaked internal policies on a different site. The highest rank of mods were required to have at least three accounts (the "official" account, and two accounts that would take opposing sides in arguments).  Whenever a discussion settled down it was the duty of a mod to say something inflammatory to get lots of responses.  When someone actually made good points and got people to agree with each other, that poster would be banned.  (Just to be cheeky, the two most common reasons for bans were "possession of alt accounts" and "trying to incite a flamewar").

Apparently the model worked well enough for them to stay in business, because they got a lot of advertising revenue.

truly radical centrism

I'm getting genuinely pissed off with people's inability to read and spell.

I have clients I have known for YEARS still spelling my name incorrectly. I set up a passive-aggressive email responder that automatically replies to the spelling of my email address incorrectly. I've corrected people hundreds of times. My name is at the bottom of every single email I send.

People are just fucking stupid and don't care.

But really though, I can understand because my last name is always mispronounced because it's French, and often then misspelled because of it. A few of my awards from elementary school even have the wrong spelling. People who I don't know well don't know any better but the people I DO know know damn well what they're doing but they do it anyway because it's funny to them, which in my humble opinion is a vile anti-French hate crime that should be punished severely.

For a year I had my school have a misspelling of my name in their database.  Literally every form I had to fill out came back with my spelling "corrected."

It wasn't even the usual misspelling that everyone tends to make.

1 hour ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

For a year I had my school have a misspelling of my name in their database.  Literally every form I had to fill out came back with my spelling "corrected."

It wasn't even the usual misspelling that everyone tends to make.

that's when you get 'em with the ol' Bobby Tables trick

exploits_of_a_mom.png

yeah i know it's xkcd but even a broken squirrel is right twice an acorn

My last name is also a common first name, so people at work will often refer to me by my last name. Despite by first name being CLEARLY VISIBLE in my email signature, at the top of the email, or on the phone display. And I even introduce myself on the phone with my first name.

I've even introduced myself to someone as My First Name in person, showing them my badge (with only my first name) then somehow they still followed up in email with my last name. I don't work in the military.

Edited by Expresate

My last name isn't really that hard for most people to pronounce. However, it's very uncommon, and it's only a couple letters off from a much more common last name. People often assume my last name is the more common one.

My last name is pronounced and almost spelled like an actual word. Of course, it is most commonly spelled incorrectly.

Those that do spell it correctly tend to get a kick out of referring to me by it. Pretty much every teacher I've ever had made a point of always calling me "Mr. Frantik" which admittedly isn't horrible. All because my immigrating Eastern European ancestors figured their name, which has since been lost to time, was too hard for America. Not sure why they settled like they did, but, thanks immigration?

Edited by ToasterToastin'

Just got around to watching Youtube Rewind This Year. I really think they missed an opportunity to have the chick who shot up Youtube HQ do the Childish Gambino gun thing instead of lame shit that had nothing to do with Youtube like John Oliver fortnite dancing.

2 hours ago, Raison d'être said:

Just got around to watching Youtube Rewind This Year. I really think they missed an opportunity to have the chick who shot up Youtube HQ do the Childish Gambino gun thing instead of lame shit that had nothing to do with Youtube like John Oliver fortnite dancing.

disagree, john oliver fortnite dancing sounds like peak youtube to me

1 minute ago, ConfusedCactus said:

disagree, john oliver fortnite dancing sounds like peak youtube to me

Eh, John Oliver's a TV guy first and foremost and Fortnite is more intertwined with Twitch than Youtube in my opinion.

Now The Young Turks battling armenians Boogie2988 with Minecraft swords? That's Youtube.