Raison d'être

TIAM IV: Guydiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Cockmongler

I think we can all agree, though, Ugandan knuckles was the meme that burned twice as bright and lasted half as long. A week or so ago one of my friends reposted an image he made earlier this year and we all agreed that the Ugandan Knuckles instantly dated that fucking thing to early 2018.

Anyway, even though I still have 2018 for another hour and a half, happy New Year's.

After social media got popular and every kiddie and their mom can call an image or half a word a meme, you are lucky if they last a week before burning out. Then people snort the ashes by using them 'ironically'

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Moby said:

After social media got popular and every kiddie and their mom can call an image or half a word a meme, you are lucky if they last a week before burning out. Then people snort the ashes by using them 'ironically'

The thing that bugged me the most though is that people got into their heads that each month needed to have some popular meme. In the past, skeleton images and whatnot were reserved to being posted on Halloween or within a day or two, but instead this year people spammed the crap out of them on October 1st so they weren't even posted when Halloween hit because everything was all gone.

After that, we got the horrific "No Nut November" memes which was spammed throughout the entire month and is now doomed to appear every year until the end of time. What was once a semi-niche challenge thing (as can be seen by the Saloon) became a plague that was unavoidable. Yeah sure it was mentioned a bit in 2017 but it didn't get as hugely mentioned as it was in 2018.

Edited by hugthebed2

Happy new year!

People call anything on the internet a Meme because it's become it's a lazy way of saying "Joke I found on internet"

Even though that's not what it means, neither the dictionary or internet version of the term.

Cursed image/video/x has been kinda big the past year or so that I know of but it's been used a while before that. I can't say I've seen any big uptick in its usage lately though.

4 minutes ago, Raison d'être said:

Cursed image/video/x has been kinda big the past year or so that I know of but it's been used a while before that. I can't say I've seen any big uptick in its usage lately though.

I have, and I second hug's post.

11 minutes ago, Raison d'être said:

Where? I don't doubt you I just seem to live under an internet rock nowadays.

Mostly streaming communities. Twitch chat/youtube comments, etc. Occasionally in an online game, where I have noticed way less 'toxic.' 

To me, "cursed" implies that bad stuff frequently happens to the community that is beyond the control of its members, while "toxic" implies that the members ARE the bad stuff.

Best Christmas Gift This Year: Fox in the Forest Two Player Trick Taking Game

Worst Christmas Gift This Year: Debilitating Illness

I know "cursed" and "toxic" don't have the same connotation but there was a short period a few months ago where people tried to emulate the original "cursed images" by just putting beans in random places but now just any picture or video that is slightly weird is labeled as being cursed.

I guess "this is cursed" technically replaced "this is a cringeworthy thing" but the word I remember being spouted all the time before this was definitely toxic.

Talk of distinction between what the meme word of the month actually means is usually pointless because the people who use those meme words because they are meme words don't really care anyway and they'll use it as often as they encounter a situation even slightly relevant to the meme word. If all you have is a hammer...

I suppose I can't hate them too much since sometimes I get words in my mind I really want to use somewhere too but man does it get annoying. Like "yikes" which I guess replaced "cringe" which kinda-sorta I think replaced "edgy". And I know it's not a word but the stupid meme text that iS lIkE tHiS is fucking retarded and why the fuck is it still going on it's just >implying but you don't even have to even reword it you just type it like a retard.

57 minutes ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

This is the only actually cursed image on the internet:

Reveal hidden contents

f5Pm9eH.jpg

I'd post the only cursed video but I don't think hotlinking Mr. Hands would be appreciated.

I'll be flying on a plane for the first time since the 2nd millennium this Friday, on my way to the infamously sunny Iowa to meet my dad's dad.

If I never post again the Children of the Corn took me.

Hung out with some family today at this small cafe place. "Cozy" atmospheres have never particularly appealed to my sensitivities and I really only drink water, so I just got a hot chocolate instead. Little cousin and I explored the 2nd floor the place had; it was empty of anyone and entirely unsecured. Every door (even the door to the office of whomever runs the place), including the door to the balcony which is supposedly locked on weekends, was open, and there were 0 cameras. I could have easily stuffed my pockets and walked out, or taken larger items such as the guitar that was just lying there and left through the back balcony staircase into the alley.

You could probably fetch a good price for the dozens of records they had on shelves, though I saw no phonograph to play them with.