Buddhazilla

Fallout 4

That beta patch fixed my crashes as well. Thanks Rynjin.

No, weapons don't degrade, but the scraps are put to much better use with crafting and weapon mods. 

Controls are solid, a very good improvement over NV/Skyrim.

I'm on a settlement quest right now. It's decent. I probably won't go crazy with it, but its nice to build a bass exactly how you want it.

Keep me up to date with how it is guys, as I'm still on the fence about buying it

10/10

It does feel a lot more like Mass Effect than Fallout, but this isn't a particularly bad change, just a change. I'm only 2 hours in, but it really feels like they just kinda throw cool stuff at you, without you feeling like you've earned it. 

Did anyone blew up Rammite's place yet?

​shit i wish i can't even find it 

Are the controls as floaty-awful as the other 3D Fallouts?

​Much much better. Fallout 3 and NV focused way too much on the VATS, and like it was incorrect to shoot normally. 4 feels like it's been rebuilt from the ground up to have serious gunplay mechanics. I dare say it feels a lot like the new Wolfenstien.

Edited by Rammite

I haven't used my guns a ton so far, but the gunplay does feel very much improved. Feels almost like a Halo game or something.

My only real gripe so far is I can't seem to turn off Motion Blur, and it's kind of obnoxious sometimes. It's not really a ton of blur or anything, I've just never liked the effect.

Holy crap my current rig runs fallout 4. Just barely but it's mostly playable. I've mostly just been dicking around with the console since I don't want to transfer the save to my new rig when it finally gets here. I'm really hoping there's more weapons than just those in the test room. Even with weapon mods the batch found there doesn't offer quite as much as we were led to believe.

I'm hoping we start seeing some mods towards base building soon. The size and height limitations were a big let down. I just wanted a 3000 foot tower made of turrets and jukeboxes :(

Motion blur is by far one of the worst creations in games, along season pass and exclusive pre-order bonus.

"Looking around is not realist, so we added a system that wont let you see shit while moving the camera and probably leave you disoriented"

​I never got motion blur, why does it exist? It actively gets in the way and isn't realistic

Coincidentally I've just been reading about what your brain does to prevent motion blur from happening irl

Figure out you CAN turn off Motion Blur, but you need to do it from the Options menu BEFORE you fully launch the game. It won't work once you hit the main menu by hitting Play on the first pop-up. Maybe I can play a bit longer now, it started to nauseate me last night.

Edited by Dr. Rynjinstein, M.D.

​I never got motion blur, why does it exist?

​Probably the same reason bloom, lenses flare, HDR and brown/gray color scales exist, to hide bad textures and make stuff look 'good' from far away.

oddly enough it's also a form of optimization.

​how?

You can afford less sharp textures and aliasing, by drawing the blurry render on top. It's most effective at high speed, where you'd have to render a lot very quickly.

Keep me up to date with how it is guys, as I'm still on the fence about buying it

10/10

It does feel a lot more like Mass Effect than Fallout, but this isn't a particularly bad change, just a change. I'm only 2 hours in, but it really feels like they just kinda throw cool stuff at you, without you feeling like you've earned it. 

​Funny, to me it feels a lot like Bioshock Infinite.

I've started it but damn, it's like playing Fallout 3 for the first time again. There's so much new shit and stuff to do that I'm a little overwhelmed.

I GOT IT

IT'S INSTALLING

AHHHHHHHHHH FALLOUT 4

rabid bethdroneism aside, the perk chat is actually really high quality (the physical one.)

Edited by Expresate

10/10

​Funny, to me it feels a lot like Bioshock Infinite.

I've started it but damn, it's like playing Fallout 3 for the first time again. There's so much new shit and stuff to do that I'm a little overwhelmed.

​Same. I have NO clue what I want to do. I've played for 4 hours and all I've done is gone to Concord and back to Sanctuary, and tried to build and craft stuff.

Also I killed a Deathclaw while in my Power Armor and HOLY FUCKING SHIT Bethesda managed to make them even more terrifying.

A few conversation flubs. At one point a character walked into mine during some serious dialogue and bumped him around. Pretty funny.

So far I've done the opening story mission and the assembly plant. Kind of surprising it immediately follows Concord considering how many fucking raiders are packed into that place. I guess you're supposed to bring the power armor but I fought my way through with a pistol and it was kind of ridiculous.

I also find it kind of weird how all of these townsfolk are asking you to go quest for them. Uh, did you not fucking hear me? My goddamn kid is gone. Yeah sure, I'll hang around crafting you some beds, my kidnapped son can wait.

Edited by Kaythulhu

any funny bugs?

​I made a beeline for Malden and ran into some Bloodbugs. The first bit of evidence that perhaps I was in over my head wasn't the fact that I was taking tons of damage, it was that they hit me so hard that the knockback launched me 50 feet into the air while i was trying to VATS.

I died in midair, before my body could rocket to the ground.

I did find Malden, though!

Apart from the name and the fact that it's on the Orange Line, literally nothing is similar. 110 years of diverging timelines will do that, but still.

It's literally across the street from the Medford Memorial Hospital, which is a solid 3 miles away. It is instead home two the first Super Mutants I've encountered, and the first suicide bombers I've encountered. Terrifying shit.

Ran into my first truly heinous FO4 glitch.

I was using the "snap to cover" mechanic while fighting a bunch of raiders at one end of a hallway. I killed them and advanced down the hallway to fight the next group.

The next time I aimed down sights, the game snapped me back into the position I was when I last took cover. I didn't exactly teleport, it was more like my character just bolted back down the hallway at incredible speed So far I haven't been able to replicate it.

While I'm here I figure I'll post some initial impressions after several hours of gameplay:

Things I Like

- The Commonwealth looks fucking great and the characters aren't creepy dead eyed muppets this time around. The face sculpting system is awesome.

- The shooting / gunplay is vastly improved. Manually executing crits in VATS is unbelievably satisfying even though I miss being able to shoot grenades out of the air as easily.

- Weapon/Armor modding is pretty great and I like the changes to Power Armor as a balancing factor. Harvesting random junk isn't too fun but the tag feature makes it a lot less painful.

- The quick looting system is a welcome change.

- Enemies are a lot more difficult this time around

- Nick

Things I Dislike

- Some enemies might be a lot more difficult for the wrong reasons. Sometimes the AI does interesting things but for the most part I think there are a lot of artificial difficulty spikes. Enemies seem way more grenade happy this time around. Super Mutants fucking suicide bomb you as you're trying to stay in cover. Deathclaws can knock you over and maul you over and over in your power armor because you're slow as fuck. It's great that the enemies are actually pretty frightening now, but I think Bethesda made a lot of them cheaper instead of smarter.

- The limited dialogue options suck and my character frequently seems to suffer from Mass Effect syndrome, where the actual dialogue doesn't really represent the options that are given. It makes it really difficult to do any kind of roleplaying or character building when I'd prefer to play it cool and my VA is shouting obscenities at people with no indication that was what he was going to do.

- Somewhat related: I miss karma. At least Mass Effect had Renegade/Paragon system built into their dialogue tree. When my character talks the same way whether he's a saint or a spinal fluid eating cannibal nazi it kind of makes everything pretty one dimensional.

- Where does my weapon go? I don't think the other Fallout games had your holstered weapons just vanish. I know it's a minor detail but it just looks really stupid.

Edited by Kaythulhu

Your karma is now consolidated with your companion, you do things they either like our don't like, so you have a bit more leniency in what you do. If they like you enough, they give you special perks.

Holy Shit The Glowing Sea.

(It's not really super spoilery story wise but if you like discovery I'd wait to read. )

I love the way this place looks. As I got closer, I thought that a rad storm was rolling in, so I sped up to find some cover only to find out it isn't a storm. It's just like that ALL THE TIME. Absolutely beautiful the way that the mist kinda clears and literally starts sparking the closer you get to the crater. Also so many deathclaws. I'm not ashamed to admit I cheesed the shit out of it by calling in a vertibird and mowing them down before proceeding. 

I'm shooting those freaky cymbal monkeys on sight, on the off chance one comes to life. I can't risk it.

​They do. One summoned a shitton of radroaches. The eyes glow red too.

I'm shooting those freaky cymbal monkeys on sight, on the off chance one comes to life. I can't risk it.

>shooting

I carry around a machete with the express purpose of chopping their heads off.