Buddhazilla

Fallout 4

So today I killed a legendary raider and the RNG gods smiled upon me and it dropped an explosive hunting rifle which I modded into a fully modded sniper rifle only to find out exploding shots make my game crash. Guess it's time to switch back to the gauss rifle.

So today I killed a legendary raider and the RNG gods smiled upon me and it dropped an explosive hunting rifle which I modded into a fully modded sniper rifle only to find out exploding shots make my game crash. Guess it's time to switch back to the gauss rifle.

​I found a pistol with a bottomless clip on a legendary enemy. Pretty cool shit.

One change I really like is the ability to mod unique weapons.

Edited by Kaythulhu

Not really, but it shares the similar ideas of variant loot and "Badass" (Legendary) enemies in a very, very loose sense.

From what I can tell the stuff that drops from Legendary enemies isn't strictly BETTER, it just has weird effects (that I THINK you can replicate with a high enough level in the crafting Perks).

Welp, beat the story. Finally settled down and built my house, unloaded all my collectable things. Looks nice. Gonna probably finish off my quests and start a new character.

Thoughts on story etc below. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN THE GAME. 

Fo shizzle.

So, I decided to side with the Institute. I was working for the brotherhood until I made the relay. It was an odd slope, and I'm ultimately actually very unhappy with my choice. I started working with the institute because I liked the ideal. A new, super modern society. They just want to do their research and get their robots back. I had no issue putting the first Synth down, the raider one. Then I had to talk my minutemen down. Then I had to kill every member of the Railroad. That one legitimately made me sad. I actually hadn't done any work for them yet, but the fact that I had to wipe an entire faction out hit hard. 

Then there's the brotherhood. They aren't your DC "lets help everyone" brotherhood, they were much more militaristic. I actually put off fixing prime because I didn't want them to have it running around killing everything. I helped them because I liked power armor and they seemed like the best bet at beating the Instutute. 

Also the characters are great. Nick>Codsworth>Piper>All.  I do actually like the voiced protagonist. It works well with the other companions diolog and whatnot. I WOULD like to see exactly what my character would say, I avoided the sarcastic option a lot because of this.

Power armor is actually very well done. It actually feels like a giant high tech suit. The damage resistance is higher, and hearing bullets plink off as you mow people down is fantastic. Fusuin cores don't really become a problem if you prioritize using the armor, I never really had a time where I needed the armor but I didn't have a core to run it. Take it off for exploration or quests in populated areas, or put it on when you know there's a fight. I also really liked repairing and modding it. It's really cool to survive a fight, then replace all the bits of the armor that fell off. 

And so, 38 hours in, I can say it was certainly worth it.

I HAVE UNCOVERED THE SECRETS OF MALDEN

Malden is exactly two points of interest: Malden Center Station, and Malden Middle School. Everything else is literally nothing.

In Malden Center Station? Not much.

In Malden Middle School?

Vault 75, home to the Gunners, a high level mercenary group with fucking lasers and grenades out the wazoo. Upon taking a few steps in, you are immediately greeted with a slugfest of a welcoming committee, as well as a quest to explore everything in Vault 75.

It's home to a Grognak magazine, the Science bobblehead, and a hideous eugenics program that 'graduates' all members that turn 18 - either turning them into fuccbois for making the perfect super soldier, or just incinerating them.

Settlement building is simultaneously awesome and frustrating. Even with tricks like using foundations, placement of certain items can be a massive pain in the ass. There are a lot of areas that don't even seem tailor made to building which kind of baffles me. The fact that I have to clip metal walls through other structures to "repair" things is stupid and you'd think Bethesda would have just designed existing houses and areas to be easy to build upon.

I know it's nit-picking, but when I'm trying to put a trash gate up between two pillars and it just baaaarely won't fit, it makes me wonder why Bethesda wouldn't have the foresight to say "Hey, let's space these pillars out so they exactly match the widths of the walls you can build" or "hey, let's have metal walls snap to houses so you can fix the gaping holes in the side and not have them look like an idiot just put it next to the house six inches away".

Edited by Kaythulhu

I've been playing FO3 again. I forgot how green it was.

​Yeah 3 is really fucking green and NV is really fucking beige.

That .gif reminds me of when Boone would always step on mines and cripple both our legs, what an asshole.

After ~40ish hours playing here's my review:

As a game: 8/10. I love it.

As an RPG: 5/10

Get it together Bethesda. Even though I don't like Witcher, I hope Witcher 3 wins GOTY (from what I heard, it should regardless). Maybe Bethesda will take notice. Each new Bethesda game has been less and less RPG. I don't think the removal of skills is at fault. The perk system does literally everything the old system did. It's the other aspects.

Edited by Expresate

I agree it's not much of an RPG. Then again, neither was 3 or New Vegas, really. Fallout 4 is noticeably less so, but the mod that lets you see what you're actually saying goes a good way toward correcting that.

Fallout 4 reminds me a lot of Rage, but better.

IMO New Vegas was a better RPG than 3 or 4.

Obviously, 1 and 2 are much much better RPGs, but I really think Obsidian had it right with New Vegas.