Sign in to follow this  
Splosion

Building a new rig. Need advice.

I have no clue how to shop for parts but with fallout 4 coming out I know that game will be what makes my current 8 year old rig spontaneously combust. I need someone to help me get a list of hardware together. The only stipulations are that my video card has to be an Nvidia powerful enough to stream to my shield and I'd like to have a fairly beefy processor. Cooling is also an issue I generally always have with my computers since they stay in a somewhat poorly ventilated room and the weather where I live is literal hellfire 10 months out of the year so I'd like a decent case / fan / heatsink to help make up for that.

Edit: I'll have a budget of about $850

Edited by Splosion

I built a new rig this year, I spent about 650 including monitor, +20$ more on new cooling because apparently AMD OEM fans suck BALLS. Rig runs Witcher 3 on middle settings at 1080p, which is good enough for me, it's a brand spanking new game, I don't remember ever having computer this capable at it's time.

Now, Good place to start is just googling "gaming PC builds" or "budget PC build" or whichever other combination. Pop out few tabs, search for consistencies in what people reccomend, open few other tabs with benchmarks of different parts, open few other tabs of shops and search which one has stuff you need the cheapest. Order, put together big box of legos when it arrives, and voila, you have yourself a PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNMmt6

Processor ain't what I'd call beefy but it shouldn't bottleneck you too bad. If you can cough up some extra money an i5 4690 would do you good. Hope you don't need a new monitor or OS though. If so you can downgrade the GPU by about a hundred dollars and that'll get you a decent monitor and you can always just use your current version of Windows. It's just a rough guide though, you can probably save some money by min-maxing it a bit more.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNMmt6

Processor ain't what I'd call beefy but it shouldn't bottleneck you too bad. If you can cough up some extra money an i5 4690 would do you good. Hope you don't need a new monitor or OS though. If so you can downgrade the GPU by about a hundred dollars and that'll get you a decent monitor and you can always just use your current version of Windows. It's just a rough guide though, you can probably save some money by min-maxing it a bit more.

Do I really need the pringles? I have some sour cream lays stax here wouldn't those work? I only ate a few and they're still somewhat fresh. Or do I need original flavor? I think I have a coupon for more stax.

​Do I really need the pringles? I have some sour cream lays stax here wouldn't those work? I only ate a few and they're still somewhat fresh. Or do I need original flavor? I think I have a coupon for more stax.

​You need the pringles. Only thing that's unchangeable.

​Do I really need the pringles? I have some sour cream lays stax here wouldn't those work? I only ate a few and they're still somewhat fresh. Or do I need original flavor? I think I have a coupon for more stax.

​You need the pringles. Only thing that's unchangeable.

​Ok good because that case is huuuuuuuge. I know a larger case will help with my cooling issues a lot but making the space for it might be way too much trouble.any recomendations for something slightly smaller?

​Ok good because that case is huuuuuuuge. I know a larger case will help with my cooling issues a lot but making the space for it might be way too much trouble.any recomendations for something slightly smaller?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006I2H0YS/

There's that but you'd have to change out the 200mm fan for 120/140mm ones. You can have up to 6 additional fans if you want to pretend you live next to an international airport whenever you play games.

Take into a consideration, that you are running a big graphics card that needs that space, anything smaller than ATX would not be recomended.

My build aka. Build I found somewhere, that I agree with. Mostly, except the case. And version of 960. And possibly RAM.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TwQj99

Edited by Kraszu