John Caveson

Warframe

So I've searched around the gaming forum and it looks like there's no topic on Warframe here. Interesting. If you want to know what Warframe is, then I'll give you a basic rundown. Warframe is about a mystical race of beings called Tenno, who are the descendants of a post-human race called the Orokin. They were bred from the Void to battle an ancient enemy, but after the old war was done, they were placed into a dreamlike state for centuries only to awaken to a hostile world with different warring factions vying for control of the Origin System. Although they don't remember their past, they do remember of the ways of gun and blade and how to use the different power suits, the titular Warframes as they fight for both survival and restoring peace and balance to the Origin System, loyal only to each other.

Basically Destiny only better because space ninjas.

Now, as far as gameplay mechanics go, it's a F2P Co-op TPS MMORPG that focuses heavily on movement and well, aiming. You can have squads of up to four Tenno in a mission, with exception of what are called Trial or Raid missions, which house up to 8 people, but the enemies are a lot stronger and the missions are the most mechanically complicated in the game. But, in order to succeed, you not only have to have skill, but also good equipment, being an RPG. You farm resources, craft weapons/Warframes, level them up, mod them to make them more powerful and explore the Origin System. There is some PvP aspects, but the PvP is a WIP and is pretty crap, so I wouldn't bother wasting time if I were you.

The payment model as mentioned is F2P with a premium currency. Now that may set up some alarms for some of you and I know the feeling. But you'll find that that the payment systems very fair. Everything you can use from Weapons to Warframes to companions and Sentinels can be obtained in-game using resources and currency called Credits. The exception to this are most cosmetics, however they're only cosmetic and there are plenty of chances to get them free or of low cost, inventory slots, which house more inventory space for weapons, Warframes and Sentinels. Now as for the rest of the stuff, you can buy weapons and Warframes directly through the market, so you don't have to grind the resources for it, but they are usually overpriced, so I wouldn't recommend it. Secondly, the premium currency itself, called Platinum, tends to go on discounts a lot, in fact, the best deals come through the discounts you gain form login rewards when logging in for the day (up to 75% your next purchase). It's saved me a pretty penny that's for sure. And you get 50 Plat starting out, so there's that. So, not really any P2W here, the closest being inventory space and boosters I guess. In the end though, you still have to mod your equipment efficiently in order to get most out of them anyway. There's also a trading system, and although you can't trade a lot of things, mods, Void items, certain special weapon variants, and of course, Plat, but it's better than nothing.

Anyways for those of you who are familiar with the game, Update 18 just hit and a lot of awesome endgame content and lore stuff, and balance changes came out. If you're a vet who's taking a break, now would be a great time to come back to the game. Personally I really appreciate the constant support from the devs, with hotfixes expected at least once a week, and minor content updates every couple weeks to a month, while major game-changing updates seem to come out every few months (Update 18 in particular example). Hell, three new Warframes were just released in the span of like two months.

Reminds of TF2 back in its heyday.

Personally, it's a fun-ass game and I'd recommend giving it a shot. A couple warnings, it's a big download, has a separate launcher which can be buggy at times, and you need a Warframe account to login with when you're in-game, which means you need a constant internet connection to not get logged out which can be annoying, but worth it.

For more info, here's the main site: https://warframe.com/

The latest major update: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/568455-update-18-the-second-dream/

And the excellently design wiki which rivals even TF2's wiki imo: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

So, for those of you who have played it, opinions? Thoughts? Critique? etc.?

I'm personally enjoying myself, in fact, I'm starting to play this more than TF2, which is quite a first.

Edited by John Caveson
fixed some spelling errors

Actually there was a thread in the next page, but the search function never works.

Anyway, I have 1000 hours on it, Mastery 20. I stopped playing for a while, but I think I'll get back to it.

They added like 3 new frames last month (Wukong, Archerframe and Sailor Moonframe), a bunch of weapons and I think new stuff for killing Stalker, so I need to look for them, besides farming the resources and plat for slots. Also try to get the last parts for the Dera Vandal, Ash Prime and Kama Prime.

You know, I actually looked back at the old thread. Man, there was a lot of hate early on. Particularly by a ^certain^ ^someone^. Anyway, I thought enough time would have past from the last post that it would be overlooked a bit considering how much has changed, but it seems it stopped at Update 17, which was not too long ago. So I suppose a merger is in order.

That's got me thinking, is that subSPUF Warframe clan still a thing? The clan I'm in has like half the players dead. The only players who still "actively" play are some friends from FastCo. who invited me in and they started to take a break as well. And I feel like I'm singlehandedly researching everything currently. Still need several Nitain Extracts for Wukong parts uuugh. Though it seems our Warlord is playing again, and clan downsizing is now a thing, so I think I could convince him to cut some of the more inactive people, and when I mean "inactive", I mean that they haven't played in over a year.

As far as the game goes, they've unlock Frost Prime, Latron Prime, and Reaper Prime parts for like 30 days from the Prime Vault. So it's the first time they've done this apparently. I managed to legitly farm Latron Prime parts (they were all easy), I half farmed, half traded for Frost Prime, and I'm particularly proud of this because I didn't use Plat for the parts I traded, I just traded the rare stuff I got trying to farm his other parts, some savvy trading on my part, normally I just go "yea yea, here's a bunch of Plat. gib parts" to the ravenous beings called "traders". And a Reaper Prime set I got for like 80 plat. The only instance of buyers remorse I have for this game so far. Though it does look badass if anything.

A critique I have for the trading system is that you can trade plat. Now I don't really mind having a stable currency for trading, what I don't like is that stable currency is tied to real world money of which you can only get through real world money either directly or indirectly (e.g. Prime Access), and also has more use outside of trading for buying a lot of things you can't trade for like cosmetics, boosters, inventory slot etc.. The problem with this is that currency seems the only thing people want to trade for, instead of trading mods for mods, or prime parts for prime parts, (and if you do manage to trade parts for parts/mods for mods it's usually "overpay in items pls" where if you don't have anything that is in high demand or ultra rare, you won't get rid of it through trading in anything but plat if anything at all). Then, since it's F2P, you get all the twelve yr old trading "experts" that overvalue their items because they were tricked into overpaying and now think that's the price to trade it away, which leads to near impossible negotiating like decent human beings. Personally, whenever I trade I just buy a bunch of plat and overpay a bit to entice people to sell more and then we trade. I don't care about profit, I just get what I need/want then move on with my pathetic life. It just reminds me to much of TF2's market and gives me nightmares.

As far as the new Warframes go. I really want Ivara, she looks and plays badass. All I need is to build her systems then I can build her frame. All I need is just one more Nitain Extract and an Argon Crystal then she is mine. As for Wukong, his tankiness seems to rival even Valkyr, which is saying something but I still need to get the clan research on all his parts, and THEN build all of his parts, then build him. So it'll be awhile. As far as the Cirque de Soleil looking frame, whose parts only come from Sorties (arrrgg), but are at least tradable (yay), I'll have to see some actual gameplay of him in order to make a decision on whether or not he's worth to trade for or potato/forma or whatever.

Edited by John Caveson

Well, on my defense, you have no idea how bad the grinding was on the early beta. Everything took 10x more resources, bps were WAY more expensive, everything took 3 days to finish and the resources for 90% of the 'starter' weapons were in late-game planets. Also the frame skills were mod cards.

I got back to it around December/2014 - January/2015 and managed to farm for Latron/Reaper/Frost during their last week before being put on the vault. I spent around $5 on plat just to get a few slots and traded for the others. I wanted to spend some more on plat, since I got a 75% discount coupon, but I cant get myself to spend my steam wallet money. Also because I'll probably spend the plat on the new Loki skin bundle.

I dont think the SPUF clan ever became a thing, since most people around here stopped playing like a week after it got on open beta (me included). I got to join a clan and they helped me a lot, our Wukong research is halfway done, just missing chassis and systems.

Nitain Extract was the worst thing DE could come with, depending on alerts to get resources is a massive pain in the butt. At least its not as bad as getting Vauban, fuck that.

Apparently you get the latest Warframe parts from Sorties. FFFUUUU-

On the bright side, they're tradable, and I already got the chassis in a drop. I've also managed to build Ivara, so I got a Rakta Cernos to go along with it. So Merry Christmas to me.

I finished the Second Dream quest.

Called most of it, we Evangelion now

​I can't wait for the part in the next update The Third Dream where we create the Third Impact. And eat the Stalker

​I can't wait for the part in the next update The Third Dream where we create the Third Impact. And eat the Stalker

​If that will make the fucker to drop Hate for me, I'm all up for it.

​Speaking of the Stalker, he finally dropped Despair for me, Now all I need is Hate and War, and I'll have his complete set. Yay for me. Though I'm going to miss fighting the old Stalker, it was an actual challenge of wit and skill dodging his weapons, like a PvP mini-game or something. Now he just runs at you with War and starts absorbing elemental damage types one by one like a little bitch while spamming powers.

When the Shadow Stalker showed up in my game, all he did was run around with his melee, spamming slash dash, sometimes dispel.

Also, War requires Broken War to craft. And Broken War requires War (The Broken War bp will be given as a sortie reward it seems). That means that unless you buy the new Stalker pack (the one with armor and all), you cant own both. Bravo DE.

Today I managed to finish Ivara, now to wait 3 days for the crafting to finish. All Wukong parts are done on my clan, but systems needs 3 days to finish researching. One guy from my Alliance gave me Nehza's chassis and I found his Helm today, now to wait a million years for a system drop, since it seem to be rare.

Holy shit, Nezha and Wukong are so much fun. Wukong is like Valkyr but with guns, and Nezha is just a speedy little jack-of-all-trades.

Also the new skill-indexed mods are freaking awesome. I just hope they'll manage to introduce a way to get them another way now that event is done.

Hey nerds, its Warframe's 3rd birthday, so they are giving away a set of mid-late game weapons to anyone who plays until the 29th, so if you want to start the grind, the time is now.

Also use my referral code and you get a week of double xp and I can get two weapon slots if 5 players that used my code finish 10 missions.

Eeeyyy, here's this thread.
Anyway, I've been trying to get back into this, and the Soma and Scindo Prime + Frost Prime have helped me get back on my feet a little. Buuutttt I am quickly going to run into a problem with limited Frame and Weapon slots and the need for platinum. So how the hell do y'all go about making plat? Would an easy-ish way to go about be just selling prime junk from relics for a little plat at a time, since I can't farm anything decent yet? I just unlocked Jupiter.

8 hours ago, Stackbabbin' Bumscags said:

Eeeyyy, here's this thread.
Anyway, I've been trying to get back into this, and the Soma and Scindo Prime + Frost Prime have helped me get back on my feet a little. Buuutttt I am quickly going to run into a problem with limited Frame and Weapon slots and the need for platinum. So how the hell do y'all go about making plat? Would an easy-ish way to go about be just selling prime junk from relics for a little plat at a time, since I can't farm anything decent yet? I just unlocked Jupiter.

Yeah, farming prime parts is the way to go. You can farm some rare mods too, or wait until you have the max level with your syndicates so you can sell their weapons/mods. Use warframe.market to make things easier.

I can give you a loan if you want, just talk with me on Steam.

3 hours ago, Moby said:

Yeah, farming prime parts is the way to go. You can farm some rare mods too, or wait until you have the max level with your syndicates so you can sell their weapons/mods. Use warframe.market to make things easier.

I can give you a loan if you want, just talk with me on Steam.

Welp, farming prime parts it is, for now.
What mods could I farm? The syndicate bit doesn't seem too difficult, but I did just now only get my very first Forma, which I'm immediately going to feed to New Loka (really want that Winds of Purity mod for the Furis.) Which syndicates seem to be the most popular? For the most part, I'm working on New Loka and The Perrin Sequence right now.

1 hour ago, Stackbabbin' Bumscags said:

Welp, farming prime parts it is, for now.
What mods could I farm? The syndicate bit doesn't seem too difficult, but I did just now only get my very first Forma, which I'm immediately going to feed to New Loka (really want that Winds of Purity mod for the Furis.) Which syndicates seem to be the most popular? For the most part, I'm working on New Loka and The Perrin Sequence right now.

No idea, Perrin was quite popular back then because of their melee weapon, since it gives extra credits on kill.

I see syndicate mods going for 10p each and syndicate weapons going for 25-35p.

3 hours ago, Moby said:

No idea, Perrin was quite popular back then because of their melee weapon, since it gives extra credits on kill.

I see syndicate mods going for 10p each and syndicate weapons going for 25-35p.

Welp, guess I'll put more effort into the syndicates.
I'm currently at max standing for the rank they're at, I just have to make the item tributes, which is a pain in the ass.

You can do three syndicates at once, so you could level up Red Veil as well as Perrin Sequence and New Loka. I'm doing a dumb thing where I'm maxing out Steel Meridian via Red Veil then I'm going to start on New Loka and Perrin Sequence. If you're farming prime parts, use Axi relics if you can as those parts are generally worth more.

So how's everyone doing on the Plains?

Crashed like 10 times in 2-3 days, half of my bounties glitch and the ones that work give me junk. Only lacking the Gara neuroptics.

Fishing and mining is entertaining though, just waiting for changes this week so I dont have to get a billion cores/fish for only 25 standing.

OH I just remembered. There's a bunch of codes you can redeem in-game in the Market right now. You can use FREESWORD to get a free Heat Sword, complete with slot and potato. Sell the sword once it's maxed (because it's bad) and enjoy a free slot.

These are all Glyphs/Profile icons for various partners/streamers.

SUMMIT1G

ADMIRALBAHROO

PROFESSORBROMAN

KINGGOTHALION

BIKEMAN

SP00NERISM