Sign in to follow this  
Razputin

Shameless SFV shilling thread

So Street Fighter V will be coming out soon. Paero and I are pretty fucking excited for it and I thought I could maybe excite some more people, especially since we had a short fleeting moment where several people here played Skullgirls together and it was a ton of fun

I'm personally really looking forward to it as it will mean a fresh start for the playerbase; I've put a whopping 25 hours into SF4, so for the vast majority of that time I've been getting completely crushed by people who have been playing Street Fighter longer than I've been able to spell it. With SFV however there will be a big influx of new players, less "solved" matchups and a lot less characters (16 compared to USF4's 44) so you can actually learn some strategy against different characters without being completely overwhelmed.

Next to that, SFV will have an easy input system similar compared to that of Skullgirls, meaning you don't have to sit in training practicing frame-perfect combos, and in my opinion a much prettier, move vivid artstyle than USF4

Oh and of course there's waifus

So come one come all and let's be shit at videogames together

4 hours ago, Razputin said:

Next to that, SFV will have an easy input system similar compared to that of Skullgirls

Wait, Skullgirls is EASY?

I spent like an hour with the tutorials, trying to figure out the correct timing for combos and counters and pokes and pokey-combos and counter-counter-counters, and I never got the hang of it.

Dude moby I think you're the first person to ever make that joke you should patent it

No but really though if you already know capcom has stated they will not go for separate game editions this time and clearly aren't planning to buy the game anyways then why do you insist on being such a shitstain

RIP Super Dynamic Cooking Time, Time to Oil up, Let's fight like mentlegen, and EIN ZWEI DREI ENDE.

Although I still got the Red Cyclone so there's that.

I still have some chrimbus funds left, if there are people to play with I might pick it up.

Guilty Gear Xrd is cool too, but the netplay is shoddy.

Assuming I've never played a Street Fighter game for any length of time (trying it for less than an hour and getting my shit rocked in 2.5 seconds because WHAT DA BUTTONS DO doesn't count), is it worth it to get this one?

You say there will be an influx of newer players, but wouldn't that be the case for every new one and it never panned out? What makes this one different?

7 hours ago, Razputin said:

Dude moby I think you're the first person to ever make that joke you should patent it

No but really though if you already know capcom has stated they will not go for separate game editions this time and clearly aren't planning to buy the game anyways then why do you insist on being such a shitstain

Mostly because there is already a season pass almost as expensive as the game and nothing stops them of making an 'All-in-one' DLC later that would be literally the same as a new game edition.

Also I'm not planning to get it now, since I can get SF4 for cheaper, with 3x more characters.

and a quarter of the playerbase. Honestly I buy all my games in steam sale nowadays but for a multiplayer only game you should try to be there as soon as the gates open to get the most out of it

also "season pass almost as expensive as the game" it's a 60 bucks game with a 30 bucks pass. But honestly don't get the season pass yet, there will be some kind of ingame currency system which will make you able to get updates for free (but that one I'm really skeptical about myself).

8 hours ago, Rynjin said:

What makes this one different?

It's Street Fighter.

Stuff like Mortal Kombat didn't have a big competitive scene in previous games, so it didn't stick around. Street Fighter is the most popular fighting game series in the world. Even if you count Smash as a fighting game, I believe the majority of comp players are western whereas SF is popular all throughout the US, Europe and Asia. SF has also had a competitive scene since the late (or arguably, the early) 90's with stuff like 3rd Strike being played at Super Battle Opera. SF4 has slowly grown year on year, and keeps attracting more and more attention (each year at EVO it sets a new viewer record).

But you only notice this stuff if you're involved with the game, and the scene. It'll never be like LoL, Dota or CSGO in terms of popularity because (so far) it's more inaccessible than them. But you meet players, learn from them, they learn from you, play more, get better, meet more people, and if you want to 'git gud' you just naturally get involved with the community. There's no "5 easy steps to not be shit at SF guide" like there is for games like LoL. You just have to play.

Other games may have bigger playerbases, but they can feel like they don't have a 'community'. SF isn't some watered down corporate 'Esport'. Its just a video game. A video game with immense amounts of depth, players who love it, and which just so happens to be played competitively.

Like I say to everyone, don't buy it expecting to go online and 'maybe win 1 in 10 matches'. You won't. Other players are gonna fucking destroy you. Pick a character you like and play them, go out of your way to learn them, and (its easier said than done) try not to care about losses.

SFV isn't going to be 'popular', but its not designed to be. its designed to be a new SF game, for old players, which can hopefully attract some new players. And so far its doing exactly that.

Edited by Paero

On 27/01/2016 at 10:38 PM, Idiot Cube said:

Wait, Skullgirls is EASY?

I spent like an hour with the tutorials, trying to figure out the correct timing for combos and counters and pokes and pokey-combos and counter-counter-counters, and I never got the hang of it.

Skullgirls' combo system is easy, because it's a group fighter where you're meant to get really long, high damaging combos. SF on the other hand has a system in place where for every consecutive hit in a combo, each attack does 10% less damage. So say your opponent is Ryu andhas 1000 HP. If you use an attack that does 100 damage, it'll take 100 damage off his life bar and leave him with 900 HP. Simple. Now let's say you did a combo before that which did 300 damage and had 4 hits in it. If you used that same move at the end of the combo, it would make it 5 hits, giving that attack 50% reduced power, making it do 50 damage, and giving your combo a total of 350 damage.

This system means that SF promotes smart play and knowing where and when to use which moves, as opposed to promoting execution based play (not to say that games like Skullgirls and Marvel vs Capcom 3 don't require smart play, and SF doesn't require execution, it's simply a different balance.)

Also Skullgirls has one of the best tutorials around and the basics apply o a lot of fighters. However the counter hit system is hard to practice with bots because they don't play like real people. The guy I usually fight in SF, I know how he likes to attack and defend, and which moves he likes to use, so I know when I can throw in something to get a counter hit off. I don't think "Oh, Tom's going to use X move here, so I can counter it with Y move", you just get a feeling of what's more likely to work and go with it.

Edited by Paero

8 hours ago, Moby said:

Mostly because there is already a season pass almost as expensive as the game and nothing stops them of making an 'All-in-one' DLC later that would be literally the same as a new game edition.

Also I'm not planning to get it now, since I can get SF4 for cheaper, with 3x more characters.

Dunno your financial situation mate but I'm gonna be honest if it's a game I like then I don't mind dropping money on it. Sure I probably won't pick up the season pass (at least not right now) but I know that I'll enjoy the game, and will want the DLC characters and costumes that come out Asap, so it's a worthwhile investment for me. 

It sounds steep if you're not a SF player, but I mean I don't understand people who spend loads of money on really new top of the line phones but hey if they can afford to and it makes them happy then who am I to tell them that they shouldn't like them.

Edited by Paero

1 hour ago, Paero said:

It's Street Fighter.

Stuff like Mortal Kombat didn't have a big competitive scene in previous games, so it didn't stick around. Street Fighter is the most popular fighting game series in the world. Even if you count Smash as a fighting game, I believe the majority of comp players are western whereas SF is popular all throughout the US, Europe and Asia. SF has also had a competitive scene since the late (or arguably, the early) 90's with stuff like 3rd Strike being played at Super Battle Opera. SF4 has slowly grown year on year, and keeps attracting more and more attention (each year at EVO it sets a new viewer record).

But you only notice this stuff if you're involved with the game, and the scene. It'll never be like LoL, Dota or CSGO in terms of popularity because (so far) it's more inaccessible than them. But you meet players, learn from them, they learn from you, play more, get better, meet more people, and if you want to 'git gud' you just naturally get involved with the community. There's no "5 easy steps to not be shit at SF guide" like there is for games like LoL. You just have to play.

Other games may have bigger playerbases, but they can feel like they don't have a 'community'. SF isn't some watered down corporate 'Esport'. Its just a video game. A video game with immense amounts of depth, players who love it, and which just so happens to be played competitively.

Like I say to everyone, don't buy it expecting to go online and 'maybe win 1 in 10 matches'. You won't. Other players are gonna fucking destroy you. Pick a character you like and play them, go out of your way to learn them, and (its easier said than done) try not to care about losses.

SFV isn't going to be 'popular', but its not designed to be. its designed to be a new SF game, for old players, which can hopefully attract some new players. And so far its doing exactly that.

How does any of this answer my question?

Raz said there'd be an influx of newer players. Unlike basically every previous Street Fighter game.

Why?

^That's what I was asking.

Because in my general experience the same people play Street Fighter that have always played Street Fighter. That's exactly WHAT makes it so inaccessible. You can't learn to play for shit against people that destroy you in under ten seconds.

So, again, what makes this one different?

4 hours ago, Paero said:

Dunno your financial situation mate but I'm gonna be honest if it's a game I like then I don't mind dropping money on it. Sure I probably won't pick up the season pass (at least not right now) but I know that I'll enjoy the game, and will want the DLC characters and costumes that come out Asap, so it's a worthwhile investment for me. 

It sounds steep if you're not a SF player, but I mean I don't understand people who spend loads of money on really new top of the line phones but hey if they can afford to and it makes them happy then who am I to tell them that they shouldn't like them.

Money is not a problem, I could get it right now, but my PC cant handle it, thats why I actually dont get or dont play a lot of games I want.

Although I do like SF, I dont like it that much to get it at full price and knowing how Capcom works with their extra editions and DLCs.

Even then, I wouldnt play it against other players, I have played enough fighting games to know that matchmaking is always bad, someone like me that likes to go random rather than sticking to one character doesnt lasts long against players that played one guy, mastering every pixel/frame-perfect combos.

Also, I change my phone roughly each 5 years, only if they actually stop working.

9 hours ago, Rynjin said:

So, again, what makes this one different?

Its been marketed more widely. When SF4 released in 2008 the last game that had been released was Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike in 1999, so the SF name was a little less known than it had been. Now with places like Twitch giving SF4 a platform to attract an audience its continued to grow and has received more support year on year from events, people on youtube/twitch and by Capcom themselves (by hosting Capcom Cup as the SF equivalent of Worlds or The International). More people know about it, are interested in it, and the whole scene of fighting games has grown colossally since Street Fighter 4s release. Before it fighting games were played competitively, but SF4 really boosted the number of people playing them competitively. In 2009 (the year that SF4 was first played at EVO) it received more than 1000 participants, which was 3 times that of any other game (Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix). Next year SF4 got 1800 participants. Next year EVO set record viewership numbers. In 2015 SF4 (at this point, a game that was 7 years old) got 2257 entrants into it, and the finals received the highest concurrent viewership of any game in EVOs history.

The simple fact is that more people are going to play SFV because Street Fighter, and Fighting Games as a whole are more popular nowadays.

Even then, I wouldnt play it against other players, I have played enough fighting games to know that matchmaking is always bad, someone like me that likes to go random rather than sticking to one character doesnt lasts long against players that played one guy, mastering every pixel/frame-perfect combos.

So what you're saying is you're not the target demographic for fighting  games.

Edited by Paero

3 hours ago, Paero said:

Its been marketed more widely. When SF4 released in 2008 the last game that had been released was Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike in 1999, so the SF name was a little less known than it had been. Now with places like Twitch giving SF4 a platform to attract an audience its continued to grow and has received more support year on year from events, people on youtube/twitch and by Capcom themselves (by hosting Capcom Cup as the SF equivalent of Worlds or The International). More people know about it, are interested in it, and the whole scene of fighting games has grown colossally since Street Fighter 4s release. Before it fighting games were played competitively, but SF4 really boosted the number of people playing them competitively. In 2009 (the year that SF4 was first played at EVO) it received more than 1000 participants, which was 3 times that of any other game (Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix). Next year SF4 got 1800 participants. Next year EVO set record viewership numbers. In 2015 SF4 (at this point, a game that was 7 years old) got 2257 entrants into it, and the finals received the highest concurrent viewership of any game in EVOs history.

The simple fact is that more people are going to play SFV because Street Fighter, and Fighting Games as a whole are more popular nowadays.

That's pretty cool then.

But I hope you see how weird it is that the "core audience" for fighting games are people who play them for mastery's sake rather than strictly for fun. That's unusual for a game genre, since generally there's a solid mix of casuals and competitives.

Maybe that's why I've always enjoyed more "casual" fighters like Soul Calibur or Smash.

1 hour ago, Rynjin said:

That's pretty cool then.

But I hope you see how weird it is that the "core audience" for fighting games are people who play them for mastery's sake rather than strictly for fun. That's unusual for a game genre, since generally there's a solid mix of casuals and competitives.

Maybe that's why I've always enjoyed more "casual" fighters like Soul Calibur or Smash.

Yeah as I said, you often come up against players who've been playing Streer Fighter longer than I've been able to spell it. But it also comes with this feeling of constant progression and getting a bit better which I personally really enjoy. It's not like I expect to suddenly win 50% of my matches but I do expect there to be more people of my level, firstly because of the new influx that I think comes naturally with every game, and secondly because of changes in mechanics making combos a tad easier and the meta a little less solved; in USF4 there are just so many mechanics like focus, red focus and FADC that as a new player you're best off ignoring them for a while until you know the basics.

5 hours ago, Paero said:

So what you're saying is you're not the target demographic for fighting  games.

If only playing them to mess around rather than master one single character/combo to wreck everyone means I'm not the target audience, I guess so?

I still hope for a new version of Capcom vs SNK though.