Sign in to follow this  
Rammite

Mobile Gaming

For all things Android or iOS or whatever esoteric platform you use

I've recently been in a craze for proper quality Android games, and I've actually found a few if you're willing to spend some money.

There are a few like Crashlands ($5, no IAP, Android + iOS) that is like if you took Don't Starve, took out the roguelike survival, and made it a proper RPG.

Hearthstone (Free+IAP, Android + iOS) is obviously good, but it's like 50gigs and I can't fit it anywhere

Vainglory's(Free+IAP, Android + iOS) a proper 3v3 MOBA if you're into that stuff

Cardinal Quest 2 (Free+IAP, Android + iOS) is a very well done roguelike that never hits any of the caveats of most roguelikes (grinding, lack of options, getting stale)

I even found an unofficial port of Battle for Wesnoth (100% free, Android) that's literally just the computer version but with touch functionality (though I use the mode that treats the touch screen like a trackpad, moving the mouse)

Fate/Grand Order (Free iOS+Android [with QooApp] ) Gacha Based Fate RPG that (i think) incorporates a lot of plot points from Fate/Apocrypha, quite an unforgiving gacha but you're showered with the in game currency it uses

Shironeko (Free iOS(?)+Android [with QooApp] - Gacha Based dungeon crawler that uses one finger to control (currently the highest grossing app on the android App store)

Also happy to share or add any friend codes for most of the popular gacha Mobage's since it's more than likely that I play them.

I highly urge anyone vaguely interested to try the iOS port of Ghost Trick if you feel so inclined. It's a pretty damn good port of a really damn good game. I mean you could emulate it but it's good.

Whenever I play on my phone I play Puzzle Forge 2, it's a puzzle game that is vaguely reminiscent of bejeweled. It's free and the payshit really is not intrusive at all. You can buy resources for real money but Im now at like level 200 and never even had to consider buying anything

I have same problem with Hearthstone (blizzard, get your shit together and optimize). Currently on phone: 3 danmaku games, GBA emulator, Solitaire, Threes, and One Piece Treasure Cruise, because I never learn and always get attracted to grindy games, one way or another. All of games are free.

I tried vainglory and it was fairly solid in how it actually played, but disconnects are rampant and irritating.

Hearthstone of course is a thing.

Neko Atsume is hardly a game and yet has the properties of heroin.

I am thoroughly addicted to the Star wars team builder thing, Galaxy of Heroes. 

Almost full droid team with HK-47, IG-86, IG-88, and IG-100, and Cad Bane. 

I've dabbled with Candy Crush, and Clash of Clans, and a couple other F2P games on my tablet out of sheer boredom. I, of course, never payed any money on their bs business models, I just see how far I could go. Haven't really touched them since.

Also AdVenture Capitalist is cocaine but after like a month it slows down immensely and becomes a chore. I still check on it once a day because why not

I'm also into Clash Royale despite Clash of Clans not interesting me. It's a good game but it's hard to withstand the IAPs. Every high tier player has admitted to spending upwards of $10,000.

3 hours ago, Gary said:

I have same problem with Hearthstone (blizzard, get your shit together and optimize). Currently on phone: 3 danmaku games, GBA emulator, Solitaire, Threes, and One Piece Treasure Cruise, because I never learn and always get attracted to grindy games, one way or another. All of games are free.

I've never heard of danmaku on mobile, that sounds like good ol fashioned torture. Any you'd recommend?

I have these three.

And yes, danmaku on touch device is a torture. It will take you a while to learn to clear Cirno on easy, when I used to play religiously I almost could do Alice normal no bombs/ no lives lost. I usually had to dump one bomb since I could not learn one pattern.

Hey, I forgot we had a thread for this!

Playing Japanese gacha games are fun and all, but does anyone have any good recommendation for more traditional phone games? Flipping through the app store yields nothing good.

1 hour ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

Hey, I forgot we had a thread for this!

Playing Japanese gacha games are fun and all, but does anyone have any good recommendation for more traditional phone games? Flipping through the app store yields nothing good.

Shadowverse is neither really a traditional phone game, is Japanese, and is arguably a gacha (especially with the new leader distributions) and on top of that to my understanding it's horribly optimized on phones so it's not what you asked for but...

...you should really play Shadowverse.

Puzzle and Dragons is a pretty solid (if heavily RNG based in what monsters you get) match 3 game with Pokemon-like elements that can actually change your puzzle strategy to get the most damage. I enjoy it a lot.

I picked up Digimon Links yesterday and I haven't quite figured out if I like it yet. It's almost like a legit RPG with Digimon, moves, and turn based combat, and the look and even animations for attacks are real good. It's just bogged down by a few UI elements and such that marry the worst parts of both mobile and browser based games that make it clunky to navigate utside of quests. I'm having fun though, we'll see if it holds my interest. The HUGE selection of Digimon is a big plus, it has a lot of the ones from the V-Pets that have never really showed up in one of the shows that I know of.

2 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Shadowverse is neither really a traditional phone game, is Japanese, and is arguably a gacha (especially with the new leader distributions) and on top of that to my understanding it's horribly optimized on phones so it's not what you asked for but...

...you should really play Shadowverse.

I actually probably should have specified no card games as well.

2 hours ago, Dr. Rynjinstein, MD said:

Puzzle and Dragons is a pretty solid (if heavily RNG based in what monsters you get) match 3 game with Pokemon-like elements that can actually change your puzzle strategy to get the most damage. I enjoy it a lot.

I'll vouch for this too, though it's definitely Japanese gacha. I also spend copious amounts of time (and other things *cough*) on Fire Emblem Heroes, but I've long given up on that battle and have accepted my fate.

KOTOR (like, the standalone RPG) is another thing that exists on phones, which is honestly pretty weird, but it's a solid game even with mobile controls.

I'll also vouch for KOTOR but it's more of an hour thing instead of a ten minute thing. Same with like, Mobile XCOM Enemy within.

I got "You must build a boat" from humble on my phone and it's a fun little match/rpg/crusher thing. 

Also the Hitman/Deus Ex/Laura Croft Go games are good mobile puzzle games. Sometimes you can find em on sale.