Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

Destiny General

keNTFYb.jpg

Placeholder banner for now

Since I'm not sure how many Spuf regulars are familiar with Destiny I thought it would be a good idea to compile a FAQ as well:

So... what exactly is Destiny?

Destiny is a first person sci fi shooter developed by Bungie after they sold the Halo franchise rights.

How does it play like?

I'm sure Spuf is familiar with Borderlands so let's start there. The gameplay environment is very similar to Borderlands with some gameplay mechanics from Halo mixed in.

On the topic of PvE, Destiny has also a better co-op experience compared to Warframe on some instances besides both games looking similar. If you enjoy Destiny's basic PvE, I'm sure you will enjoy the Raid activities available.

Nowadays, is the first installment worth a look if I have a Xbox One / PS4?

Absolutely.

Should I buy a console to check Destiny's first installment?

Exclusively for Destiny? Then unfortunately no.

Save your wallet and buy/upgrade your PC and/or get Destiny 2 instead. PC versions are also not fps locked, consoles will run capped at 30 fps for stability reasons.

Does Spuf has a clan/group that regularly plays together?

At the moment no. This could change depending on how many players grab the game for free until November 18.

Do you still play the first installment of Destiny? Where?

Yes I still play it on my Xbox One for now. If you ever need a friendly veteran willing to guide through shoot me a message.

Why should I trust this random ancient forum lurker?

I have dedicated 4 years playing Destiny's first installment after TF2 left its golden age. Nothing feels more satisfying than introducing the Destiny franchise to new players.

You got my attention. Where can I learn more about Destiny?

I highly suggest Reddit. From personal experience, Bungie's official forums is a dark place. Otherwise, just ask me anything about it on this thread instead, I'll gladly answer your questions in a Spuf friendly format.

Edited by Spectre

If this is a mix of Warframe and Borderlands, does it means that the end game is just enemies with billions of health that one shot you and grinding takes days/weeks to get anything?

20 hours ago, Kraszu said:

will it be as bullet spongy as original

I'm not interested if things dont die when I shoot them

Good question.

Short answer:

No.

Long answer:

Back when the game was released bullet spongyness really was an issue that was affecting the game negatively in a lot of aspects.

Hell! It got so bad at one point that people were nicknaming bosses such as "Rockets McDickface" and leaving co-op missions as soon as they joined.

Nowadays, unlike some games, *cough* The Division *cough*, the developers became aware of this issue and reworked almost the entire selection of Strikes (3 players co-op mission) following a more dynamic methodology.

Back then most boss fights at the end of a Strike went like this:

1. Damage phase
  2. Ded boss

Now, boss fights work more or less like this:

1. Damage phase
  2. New mechanic after losing one third of maximum health
  3. Damage phase
  4. New mechanic after losing one third of maximum health
  5. Damage phase
  6. Ded boss

Also, it is worth mentioning that they have reworked every single Strike with similar aspects from Payday such as: different enemy spawns / types, giving you a different experience every time you play.

Strikes in Destiny 2 also have shown to have followed the same dynamic methodology. If you are interested, search up "Destiny 2: The Inverted Spire" on Youtube, it's the first Strike that was showcased on the new installment.

12 hours ago, Moby said:

If this is a mix of Warframe and Borderlands, does it means that the end game is just enemies with billions of health that one shot you and grinding takes days/weeks to get anything?

Glad you asked.

Actually no.

Unlike Warframe, there is a level cap for enemies as well. In extremely rare cases you will be facing enemies above your level (Raids for example).

Grinding for better gear also stopped being an issue after the "The Taken King" expansion, before that, we had the infamous Loot Cave which even got added to games such as "Dying Light" as an Easter Egg.

End game enemies such as Raid bosses (which are the best part of Destiny in my opinion) were also designed to be more focused on different / new mechanics rather than bullet spongyness and one shot capabilities.

"Good fighters have contingency plans. Great fighters don't need them"

Edited by Spectre

Hm, seems nice and all, I'd love a game like Warframe/Borderlands where the end game isnt fighting massive bullet sponges and repeating the same mission over and over to maybe get a better weapon, but I dont have money for big releases.

5 hours ago, Moby said:

Hm, seems nice and all, I'd love a game like Warframe/Borderlands where the end game isnt fighting massive bullet sponges and repeating the same mission over and over to maybe get a better weapon, but I dont have money for big releases.

I should have probably mentioned it before but Destiny's progression in general feels just like Warframe, except with way less grinding and no timegates.

Unfortunately, Activision's games never come out cheap. If you are on a budget and by chance have an Xbox One or a PS4 lying around, give the first installment a look. I'm pretty sure they might provide a discount during this summer.

You can also find Destiny on Xbox 360 and PS3, be warned though, as these platforms are no longer supported by Bungie. They have stopped updating them since August 2016.

"Night falls, but your eyes are turned toward the dawn."

Edited by Spectre

There's a progression in Warframe somewhere? I never noticed any, maybe on complete beginning. I wouldn't call "craft > grind to 30 > throw away > start again" that. Anyway, only thing that makes me even do a daily log in, is a fact that that I like Warframe's movement system and I might be interested in doing next story quest, even if it's complete bollocks, like everything up to this point.

5 hours ago, Kraszu said:

There's a progression in Warframe somewhere? I never noticed any, maybe on complete beginning. I wouldn't call "craft > grind to 30 > throw away > start again" that. Anyway, only thing that makes me even do a daily log in, is a fact that that I like Warframe's movement system and I might be interested in doing next story quest, even if it's complete bollocks, like everything up to this point.

Unfortunately, after you complete "The War Within" it goes pretty much as you described. Every now and then, Digital Extremes adds a new side quest that rewards you a new content... after a massive grindfest.

Tired of grinding? Give Destiny 2 a chance. I hope that one day the majority of Spuf takes a look on Destiny 2 (on PC) and find themselves a new home, right next to Overwatch.

4 hours ago, Facade said:

Might get 2, fuck buying a console though, depends on how many other people get it

"You know girls, right?"

Updated the FAQ regarding this aspect.

Don't ever buy a console exclusively for Destiny. Do however, purchase Destiny 2 (on PC) if it turns out better than its predecessor on launch day.

"Those who seek to bind the lightning may find themselves consumed by it instead."

Edited by Spectre

5 minutes ago, Idiot Cube said:

"I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." --The only quote I know from Destiny

Fun fact:

You can describe the entire vanilla Destiny Story campaign with this quote.

Here I'm just hoping they got the storytelling part sorted out for once on Destiny 2.

"Enough is never enough."

4 hours ago, Spectre said:

Unfortunately, Activision's games never come out cheap.

Yeah, I know. I believe all CoDs are still $60 on Steam, the old ones are $30. Activision games also never go under 50%.

Not that I would pay them anyway. Activision is one publisher I never will give my money to.

Been quite dark in here... literally.

Anyway... to bright things up, Bungie has officially released today more details regarding the Open Beta of Destiny 2 on PC.

The Open Beta on PC will be available on August 29 until August 31. Pre-orders can access the Beta on August 28.

If you did not have the opportunity to try the Destiny 2 Open Beta on a Xbox One/PS4 last week now is your best and last chance. The console version looks and feels amazing (even though the Beta build was 4 months old).

Also, if you are wondering if your PC can handle the latest Bungie's PC game since Halo 2 here are the provided specs:

Recommended Spec:

CPU

Intel - Core i5-2400

AMD - Ryzen R5 1600X

GPU

Nvidia - GeForce GTX 970

AMD - Radeon R9 390

RAM

8GB

Minimum Spec:

CPU

Intel - Core i3-3250

AMD - FX-4350

GPU

Nvidia - GeForce GTX 660 2GB

AMD - Radeon HD 7850 2GB

RAM

6GB

For more info take some time to read their full blog post.

If anyone has any more questions/feedback post them here.

I hope the majority of Spuf can try Destiny 2 on August 29!

"Point me toward the point of no return."

Edited by Spectre

Considering I bought destiny, ttk and rise of iron and no longer have stockholm syndrome on the game  I think I'm going to wait for reviews see what the game is like and make sure the game has a decent story and gives me content updates that don't cost £20 or covered in microtransactions. I am already concerned from what what i've seen with the new subclass having a different system where i cant seem to make custom builds using different abilities. 

Edited by Raze

2 hours ago, Insectan said:

How much are Bungie paying you?

Oh c'mon... let's keep things friendly in here. 

I'm just encouraging spuf users to give Destiny 2 a try since its the first time it will not be available exclusively on filthy consoles.

After TF2 development stopped and Borderlands 3 is nowhere to be seen, Destiny 1 kept me busy for almost 3 years despite its downsides.

I'm completely aware on how it can be controversial to promote an Activision game. However, give the free Beta a try on 08/29 and see it for yourself.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Considering I bought destiny, ttk and rise of iron and no longer have stockholm syndrome on the game  I think I'm going to wait for reviews see what the game is like and make sure the game has a decent story and gives me content updates that don't cost £20 or covered in microtransactions. I am already concerned from what what i've seen with the new subclass having a different system where i cant seem to make custom builds using different abilities. 

Same concern here.

Not pre-ordering now will only block you from accessing an Exotic weapon for a month on PC (available for everyone on December 5), which doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

I also felt a little disappointed on the console Beta after testing the changes to the weapons slots and less subclass variety.

Then again, the Beta build was 4 months old as the developers mentioned it, a lot of changes are in place in the current internal build.

However, another concerning aspect was the lack of content to explore on the Beta (one Story mission, one Strike and two PvP maps and gamemodes), as they claim they want to keep almost everything "story related" under the curtains until the release date.

Here I'm just hoping there is some adjustments in place on PvE damage during the PC Beta build, as the console Beta gave me The Division bullet sponge flashbacks.

"What you have seen will mark you forever."

Edited by Spectre

8 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I'm just encouraging spuf users to give Destiny 2 a try since its the first time it will not be available exclusively on filthy consoles.

After TF2 development stopped and Borderlands 3 is nowhere to be seen, Destiny 1 kept me busy for almost 3 years despite its downsides.

I am pretty sure TF2 is still kind of in development the update is just taking a long time...right guys?

Not to mention that half the community in destiny was 8-16yr olds which makes me dread doing content or when people kept demanding you have ghorn for doing raids/prison of elders it felt like a mess that i am concerned about going back into but I will keep my eyes on it and see what D2 will be like 

Quick update.

So... Destiny 2 PC Beta pre-load is live... if you pre-ordered it (which I highly encourage not to).

Open beta players will only be able to download it on 08/29 unfortunately.

The beta client size is 16GB.

Hope you all get a chance to at least check if Destiny 2 is a worthy investment soon.

No flavor text for you as Bungie's armory/database is ded.

Edited by Spectre

5 hours ago, Primal Phoenix said:

Man I can't wait to get my hands on the open beta of the hot new massively multiplayer online role playing game destiny 2.

Destiny 2? Never heard of it! Please tell me more!

I want to make a comment saying that I don't want to get into Destiny 2 if I'm going to have to buy a bunch of DLCs down the line to make the game better, but my opinion is obviously going to be biased.

The hype over Destiny 2 among my friends confuses me. There was huge hype for the first one too and it was garbage. Maybe it's because they got into it later than I did? I still regret spending part of my first paycheck from a job to buy Destiny on release weekend.