Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

Destiny General

Well that was an disastrous unexpected turn of events.

Now I'm just curious on what will happen inside this thread next week. (spoiler: probably nothing exceptional)

10 hours ago, Medic said:

I want to make a comment saying that I don't want to get into Destiny 2 if I'm going to have to buy a bunch of DLCs down the line to make the game better, but my opinion is obviously going to be biased.

I wonder if you could write an article about it on The Daily Spuf (even if it is biased) if you get to try the open beta.

You might even get to enjoy it until the open world "Plains of Eidolon" in Warframe gets released.

I might even learn something no one ever criticized before. I never expected anyone to feel uncomfortable with Overwatch visual effects.

Edited by Spectre

Oh god it's Battle.net. Fun.

Either way, for journalistic integrity, I ought to download it and try it. Wish me luck.

Edit: Wait it's not available until the 29th and ends on the 31st, I doubt I'm even going to have time to download this.

Edited by Medic

Tried the beta and I'm not impressed.

Long loading times, plus a lot of loading during missions.

There was this weird lockup when too many enemies were on screen, my character would keep moving like I was holding the button, same thing happened while aiming.

REALLY dark. As in I put the brightness on max and I still couldnt see shit.

Felt like a generic FPS in space.

I played it some hours this morning and I'll give you my take on it. This is coming from the perspective of someone who never touched the original Destiny game.

I'd like to make a note that I had zero graphical/performance issues while playing the open beta, it ran great throughout.

Starting from the very beginning you are given the choice of 3 different classes to pick: Titan, Hunter and Warlock. Distilling those 3 classes to their core essence, they are the classic Strength, Agility and Intelligence based roles. As I discovered later, all of these classes also have subclasses, which opens up the gameplay variety a fair bit. I picked the Titan class during the beta.

Right away you load into a cinematic cut-scene featuring a group of characters that I can only assume are from the original game, which I imagine would be fun for returning players to see, but as a new player I didn't care much. Bad guys known as the "Red Legion" are attacking and you and your fellow "Guardians" muster a desperate defense in order to buy the civilians under your care time to escape. Long story short, you get your ass kicked by the big bad leader of the Red Legion known as Dominus Ghaul and the player character is left for dead by the end of it. The beta then jumps you into the action by skipping you to player level 20, giving you a full set of armour and weapons and immediately allows you to matchmake with other players.

After playing through the tutorial and messing around with my inventory a bit, I joined up with two of my friends and proceeded to play the one and only PvE mission that is available in the open beta.

Skipping over a long-winded detailing of my experience with the PvE mission, I'll just tell you that it was honestly pretty fun. The game has your standard fare of enemy variety in the PvE mode, everything from simple grunts to more specialized and dangerous enemies, including mini-bosses and actual bosses with abilities and different phases you have to fight through. Flying through the environment using the thrusters attached to my heavy armor and blasting through the Red Legion with a high-powered shotgun was awesome. Depending on your class, you also get a range of abilities to play around with in addition to your arsenal of weapons. Playing as the Titan with the Striker subclass, I got access to a Flashbang Grenade and two different types of Barricades that you can cast anywhere you like as a means of instant cover from enemy fire. I also had enhanced melee capabilities along with an airborne combo-attack that allowed me to jump sky-high and then dive fists first into enemies. Finally there is the "Super" ability, as Destiny 2 takes a page out of the MOBA-genre's book and gives each subclass a unique ultimate-type ability that you charge up by doing stuff in combat. For the Striker this ability was "Fist of Havoc", which turns you into a head-smashing, shoulder-bashing melee god for a small time.

The PvP mode is your standard arcade-shooting experience with a Destiny 2 skin layered on top, which isn't a criticism by the way. I really liked how the PvP played out. It has all the game-modes we're used to in these kinda games like Domination and Sabotage, only with different names for some reason. It also has a competitive mode where you're down for the count and the rest of the round when you get killed, unlike the quick-play mode where you die and respawn after a short timer. I didn't play enough to really comment about balance at all, but it seems that whatever loadout your Guardian has is universal for both PvE and PvP, which worries me a little bit because unless gear stats are normalized in PvP content, that might mean that you'll see people with really high-end PvE gear absolutely dominating the PvP scene by sheer force of better weapon stats rather than player skill. I grew very fond of the my Hand Cannon when fighting other players, as it effectively 3-shot any enemy at medium-close range, which synergized nicely with my melee-focused class. Revolvers in space are always cool.

Overall, I had fun with the Destiny 2 open beta, more fun than I thought I would. That being said, I still won't be spending money on this game come release. I am unconvinced that this game is worth the $60 price tag they've thrown on it. The PvP, while fun right now, seems like something I would most likely get tired of in a few weeks at best. I've always been more of a PvE focused person and while the one mission available in the beta was really fun, it would not surprise me if the full game launched with <25 missions, which in my mind is not enough. I'm ready to be positively surprised though, if the game releases and it turns out it has like 50+ PvE missions to play, I might seriously consider buying it.

I've been playing for 45 minutes and have spent about 15 minutes actually doing things. The other 30 minutes have been in cut scenes and loading screens.

And now the game won't open at all.

It is unfortunate that some spuf users are having issues with loading times and others simply just crashing. Seems that as far as optimization goes, it might be a hit or miss depending on your PC build.

That being said... loading times get considerably shorter after you play a little bit since it takes a while to pre-cache stuff on your first startup ever.

You might experience some stuttering here and there on PvP maps however.

Don't even get me stated on loading times on consoles though. Comparing to PC they are stupid long.

Even for a 4 year Destiny franchise veteran I would advise to NOT consider spending your money on Destiny 2 + Season Pass right now, as the provided content at launch might not be even worth sixty dollars at least.

Destiny 1 for reference, became a sixty dollar product one year after launch with "The Taken King" reboot/expansion, which was NOT included in the Season Pass. Then again, that is probably a topic for a draft I'll try to submit later on spuf.org.

For now... do give PvE portion of the Beta a try if you haven't already. Who knows... you might find a game worth a look later next year.

Edited by Spectre

Having played some more of the Destiny 2 beta, my perspective has changed a bit. There is one weapon type available for use in PvP that seems pretty obviously overpowered and it's the Hand Cannon I mentioned in my giant blog a few posts up. Its rate of fire is way too high for the amount of damage it deals per shot and it basically has no loss of accuracy while firing, it feels like McCree's revolver in OW except it deals way more damage. It seems like it's supposed to be balanced by the fact that its long-range accuracy is pretty lacking, but the playable PvP map is so small and condensed that there really isn't anything one might consider long-range. I went from topping the scoreboards every match to doing average/poorly switching from the Hand Cannon to any other weapon.

Another issue that has become glaringly obvious after playing the game a bit longer is the fact that "Power" weapon ammo management is sucking a lot more fun out of the game than anything. The Titan class gets two primary weapons and a Power weapon, which is a weapon that is very strong but has limited ammunition available. For the Titan, the options I've seen are a high-powered shotgun and a rocket launcher. I love shotguns in any video game that I play, so I went for it and while it feels very satisfying to use, it pales in comparison to the rocket launcher, that does the same damage as the shotgun close-range, but also doesn't have damage drop-off when fired from afar. There is also no friendly fire in the game, so you don't have to even think when using the rocket launcher. On top of this imbalance, you get power ammo drops from enemies so fucking rarely, that you get to maybe shoot your power weapon ~10 times during a Strike Mission.

My final complaint lies in the cooldown of your class abilities. They're PAINFULLY long. I didn't pay much attention to it in the first hour of gameplay because I was busy taking everything in, but now that I've played it some more, I've realized that your abilities take a fucking life-time to cool down and aren't even that good to begin with, so the long cooldown seems pretty unjustified and only serves to slow down the pace of the game for no reason.

1 hour ago, Wulff said:

Having played some more of the Destiny 2 beta, my perspective has changed a bit. There is one weapon type available for use in PvP that seems pretty obviously overpowered and it's the Hand Cannon...

Oh boy...

I should have put a HUGE disclaimer regarding Destiny PvP on PC.

Plug in an Xbox controller and literally have a legalized aimbot. Aim assist is higher than the console beta so you can easily outplay keyboard + mouse players with Pulse Rifles or most weapons. No, that was not a joke btw.

Fun fact: Handcannons were the least competent weapons on Destiny 2 console PvP.

Never thought I'd see the day an analog stick would outperform a mouse on a Fps.

Done a few matches using an Xbox controller + NightShade (Pulse Rifle) already. Made me wish I could report myself at end game scoreboard. I felt like I was literally playing Soldier76 with passive ult.

Ironic... KB + Mouse on consoles wrecks controller players. But a controller on PC wrecks KB + Mouse users thanks to ludicrous aim assist benefits.

Then again, OW had the exact same issue during the Beta. That's why they completely removed aim assist on the PC release.

Edited by Spectre

3 hours ago, Spectre said:

It is unfortunate that some spuf users are having issues with loading times and others simply just crashing. Seems that as far as optimization goes, it might be a hit or miss depending on your PC build.

I am sure you can relay this issue to you superiors at blizzard/activision so they can tell bungie and address the issue.

So far though in the beta, the game feels pretty much identical to destiny 1 but with shiny effects and some slight changes.

The subclasses are completely different and look like they don't offer much in terms of builds (destiny 1 did not have much choice but they still had some e.g. nothing manacles build that being said perhaps exotics will open new build potentials).

Gameplay feels the same but in 60fps and shiny effects which i suppose is alright because the core gameplay of destiny 1 was fun the main issue was the lack of story, using 3rd party sites to find parties for raids and the fact that all the lore of the world was in the Grimoire which you could only read on the bungie site.

PvP is now 4v4 instead of the 6v6 or 3v3 for trials of Osiris and I like it a lot. feels much more team based and the map I played was small enough to allow 1v1 firefight scenarios which is something I also enjoy.

All in all so far feels like destiny 1.5 and I am still unsure on if I will purchase the game or not.

Edited by Raze

On 8/30/2017 at 9:21 AM, Raze said:

I am sure you can relay this issue to you superiors at blizzard/activision so they can tell bungie and address the issue.

Geez! Can we stop this whole conspiracy theory already? It was funny a few weeks ago...

I already regret getting carried away by the hype train and proceeding to post on Spuf. Getting uncomfortable memories from the last time I recommended Mass Effect Andromeda to a bunch of friends, getting bullied about it for months its not something I would wish to anyone.

Having to wait 2 months for the PC release will already be a hard pill to swallow. Spoilers will be everywhere and the 6 player Raid will be available most likely.

That being said, I advise AGAINST purchasing Destiny 2 for now. I will be compiling a draft for a spuf.org article later this weekend explaining the whole season pass + separate DLC debacle that happened during Destiny 1 lifetime so newcomers don't regret making the same mistakes I did.

Trust me. You don't want to be on the hype train when it eventually derails straight into the salt factory.

Edited by Spectre

10 hours ago, Medic said:

One PvE mission. About 20-30 minutes worth of content. Less if you're actually competent. That's it.

Well, it is a beta. 

Game wasn't bad, in my opinion. Very beautiful artwork and setting. I liked NPC Cade, both his character design and personality, and to my surprise I actually didn't mind the Ghost sidekick robot. Would have preferred closer to Cortana than Orbis, but he was cutely earnest rather than annoying.

I played the third character, with the yellow, and I liked his starter rifle because it had almost no recoil. Didn't like any of his available secondaries, and his tertiary didn't pack enough of a punch for how ammo inefficient it was. Both problems will likely be solved as more guns are released, it looks like the sort of game that has MMO-style loot drops, so I'm sure in time I'll get guns I gel with. Also I could use that starter rifle for the rest of my career.

I liked his health regeneration field, less enthused with his flaming-melee-mode. Got really frustrated because none of my teammates could figure out that you should hide when last man standing and wait for your teammates to respawn. Jetpacks were fun but a bit floaty, had trouble controlling where exactly I wanted to go, but I'm sure I'll get better at that after practice. 

All in all, it was nice to try, I'm considering getting it because I could always use more PvE shooters. 

Edit: How didn't I notice Cade was voiced by Nathan Fillion? No wonder I liked him!

Edited by aabicus

So the beta ended today.

Hopefully the majority of spuf got at least a chance to check if the Destiny franchise is interesting/boring without having to spend sixty dollars or getting a console.

I even personally took Medic into my fireteam on one instance, but I don't think I'll probably see her anytime soon in-game anymore (we both look forward to "Plains of Eidolon" though).

Can't blame her, the Beta lacked a proper tutorial on some major mechanics from the start for newcomers. Had they placed an image of the default keyboard bindings before the first story mission started I'm sure everyone's experience would have been more enjoyable.

Anyway... consoles will have the game already next week, the six man Raid will be released on following week (so much for getting a group together to do the Raid blind on PC).

Also, a recent leak just revealed ALL exotics, PvE story missions and strikes available on the full release.

Needless to say, the amount of PvE content available is... concerning.

Add the fact/salt that PS4 will get a temporary YEAR LONG exclusivity on: a PvE Strike "Lake of Shadows", one exotic weapon "Borealis" (not that one), besides some PvP maps and cosmetic stuff.

On 31/08/2017 at 4:20 AM, aabicus said:

Edit: How didn't I notice Cade was voiced by Nathan Fillion? No wonder I liked him!

Another interesting fact regarding voice actors, did you know Peter Dinklage voiced the Ghost during the first year of Destiny 1?

Bungie had to sign a contract with Nolan North later since they couldn't get Dinklage available more often as he was busy with Game of Thrones. The Ghost went completely mute during the first two Destiny 1 DLCs because of that.

Worse part was that once they updated the game with "The Taken King", all Dinklage's voice lines were completely removed and swapped with North's. No in-game option to switch back to the previous voice was added unfortunately.

Edited by Spectre

So... after 2 weeks since the console release...

I can certainly say that Destiny 2 content is not a major disappointment as I was expecting to be.

The game so far has proved to learn from its mistakes on the first installment, the developers have certainly put a lot of effort to avoid running into the same issues that made Destiny 1 vanilla an awful experience.

Then again, I should remind that Destiny 2 is not a game for everyone, if you enjoy end-game content that follows the principle of "acquiring power/loot so you can defeat stronger enemies so you can get even more power/loot to defeat even stronger enemies" then this game might be the PvE shooter you have been looking for.

End-game gear farming is not limited to Strikes anymore. You can now continue to progress by doing quests or public events on the now improved "Patrol mode". That alone makes up for the small amount of Strikes available (only five).

Get enough gear and five teammates and you can run a "Raid" for even better loot and some "Dark Souls" satisfaction after beating certain encounters.

Although, for someone who got used to the "Raids" on Destiny 1, I personally felt a little disappointed with the new "Leviathan" Raid that was released recently, specially due to the lack of boss sections.

I will say however, if you never done a Destiny "Raid activity" before and you like challenges that rely on everyone's commitment, you will most likely find the "Leviathan" quite enjoyable.

Running the Raid blind and figuring out the complex mechanics is one the best and short lived aspects of this PvE content.

Though I doubt many will run the "Leviathan" blind on PC, there are full playthroughs and guides available already for all four sections of the Raid if you don't feel like spending up to six hours with your teammates banging your heads against a wall trying to figure out what to do.

Anyway, the PC release is still a month away unfortunately. The first DLC content "The Curse of Osiris" will be available by the end of December as Microsoft already leaked some of its content.

Edited by Spectre

I will NOT be buying this game due to the alt-right propaganda it seems to contain, no matter how much my wife's son begs me to.

Edited by Facade

2 hours ago, Facade said:

I will NOT be buying this game due to the alt-right propaganda it seems to contain, no matter how much my wife's son begs me to.

I should have probably mentioned the latest internet drama that happened this week.

For those wondering how on earth Destiny became unexpectedly related to alt-right propaganda...

Don't worry though.

By the time the PC version gets released they should have this problem sorted out as it has already become a priority.

Still... it kinda baffles me how ironic memes can be taken so seriously whenever it gets widespread media attention. I personally would never have spotted "kek" on one of the Hunter gauntlets if no one had mentioned it.

Now I wonder if someone will eventually spot "Pepe" somewhere else in-game...

Edited by Spectre

Since they are giving the game away for free, I decided to give it a spin. First of all, has Bungie ever heard the word "compression"? I understand that modern games take a lot of space but 80 GB? Come on, took me all night to download the game. Also who the fuck modeled the faces? There is like a single passable female face in both humanoid races, and rest of them look like... well, they look like they not always were females, let's put it that way.

Generally you shoot small dudes with your guns, hang on to your super, use it on big dudes with yellow names and go beat them up Captain America style. Literally. I'm having actual fun, shooting feels good, as expected of Bungie. Large variety of different weapons, even if some designs are retarded. Even football minigame is fun. So far it's worth taking a lot of real estate on my hard drive, hope it will keep that way to the end of campaign.

Wow! Kinda forgot I made this thread a year ago.

28 minutes ago, Kraszu said:

Since they are giving the game away for free, I decided to give it a spin. First of all, has Bungie ever heard the word "compression"? I understand that modern games take a lot of space but 80 GB? Come on, took me all night to download the game. Also who the fuck modeled the faces? There is like a single passable female face in both humanoid races, and rest of them look like... well, they look like they not always were females, let's put it that way.

Generally you shoot small dudes with your guns, hang on to your super, use it on big dudes with yellow names and go beat them up Captain America style. Literally. I'm having actual fun, shooting feels good, as expected of Bungie. Large variety of different weapons, even if some designs are retarded. Even football minigame is fun. So far it's worth taking a lot of real estate on my hard drive, hope it will keep that way to the end of campaign.

Fun fact: 40 GB is Vanilla content. The other 40 GB is DLC and Forsaken that you don't get to access without making a purchase :frown:

Don't get me started on weapon designs, I had to put up with this thing on Destiny 1. Rather explain how TF2's Demoman's Stickybomb Launcher works than this weird looking AK.

Ran through the basics and did some missions with Medic already. You can tag along with us if you feel like it.

I've left a posting on SPUF's Discord as well for anyone who wants to explore the game together.

Edited by Spectre

7 hours ago, Spectre said:

Wow! Kinda forgot I made this thread a year ago.

Fun fact: 40 GB is Vanilla content. The other 40 GB is DLC and Forsaken that you don't get to access without making a purchase :frown:

Don't get me started on weapon designs, I had to put up with this thing on Destiny 1. Rather explain how TF2's Demoman's Stickybomb Launcher works than this weird looking AK.

Ran through the basics and did some missions with Medic already. You can tag along with us if you feel like it.

I've left a posting on SPUF's Discord as well for anyone who wants to explore the game together.

Don't tell me there's gonna be another 40GB of inaccesible content when next DLC hits.

Design you posted is stupid but workable, could either be fed from the jar under the rifle like normal rifles are fed, or from back magazine Korobov style, thou having 2 feeding methods is just dumb. This thing would also be workable, just uncomfortable to shoot, if some genius didn't decide to put a thumbhole there, because there is no way to send cartridges from mag forward and no space for the chamber, it's all ogre now.

Don't know how far you are, maybe I will tag along if we're not too far apart. Now one more thing, does running in party makes game spawn more mobs or os it the same as solo, just with more people?

1 hour ago, Kraszu said:

Don't know how far you are, maybe I will tag along if we're not too far apart. Now one more thing, does running in party makes game spawn more mobs or os it the same as solo, just with more people?

The game uses Peer to Peer all the way, even for PvP which is infuriating.

On the bright side, it is possible to play PvE with teammates with 200+ ping without any big issues.

Mobs also don't scale with your party size. Thats where "Strikes" which are designed specifically as three man PvE activities come into play. You get access to them after finishing the main story.

Matchmaking is enabled by default for "Strikes", or you can bring two friends if you don't want to play with randoms.

Needless to say, running the vanilla story campaign with a three player fireteam makes all the missions a cakewalk.

Edited by Spectre