Sign in to follow this  
Gyokuyoutama

Non-Magic CCGs

Surely people play other CCGs than the big one? If so let's discuss them.

Could be online or physical.  Yu-Gi-Oh!, Hearthstone, Pokemon, Shadowverse, Hecatomb, Star Wars CCG, Star Wars TCG, Star Trek CCG, Force of Will, Wixoss, Call of Cthulhu LCG, Lord of the Rings CCG, Lord of the Rings TCG, Eternal Struggle, Rage, Legend of the Five Rings, Netrunner, Luck and Logic, Weiss Schwarz, Animayhem, Duel Masters, Gundam War, MS War, VS, Wars, Blood Wars, Battletech, Doomtown, Rumbling Spell Orchestra, GI Joe, My Little Pony CCG are all acceptable.  I guess Dragon Dice is fine too, even though that doesn't use cards.

But Magic: the Gathering is right out.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

We went through my cousin's yugioh and pokemon cards and for some reason he had tons of Harry Potter trading card cards.

I think he threw them out and then he gave me an Obelisk the Tormentor because he works at a movie theater and he has tons of those because they were handed out to people who watched a Yugioh movie or something.

I really should go through the rules to Yu-Gi-Oh sometime.  I get the gist of it, but I've never bothered figuring out all the little points.  Considering how many obscure card games whose rules I do understand completely, it seems a bit inexcusable that I haven't got around to doing it by now.

I've been (practically) forced to play YGOPRO quite a few times by various people and I'm always a scared puppy worrying I'll do something wrong whenever I play it. I'm not so great at deckbuilding and I don't want to use an online deck so the extent of what I do on it nowadays is just do a 1v1 with a friend using only traps and spells (no trap/spell monsters) because any deck I make is inferior to one made by someone who actually knows the game and will proceed to OTK me.

18 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

I really should go through the rules to Yu-Gi-Oh sometime.  I get the gist of it, but I've never bothered figuring out all the little points.  Considering how many obscure card games whose rules I do understand completely, it seems a bit inexcusable that I haven't got around to doing it by now.

Konami has been trying to simplify the rules (and amount of text on cards) so apart from some really obscure missing-timing and zone-changing negations the rules are fairly straightforward. If you ever wanna know something ask me cuz other than really high level rules questions I'll probably know.

18 hours ago, hugthebed2 said:

I've been (practically) forced to play YGOPRO quite a few times by various people and I'm always a scared puppy worrying I'll do something wrong whenever I play it. I'm not so great at deckbuilding and I don't want to use an online deck so the extent of what I do on it nowadays is just do a 1v1 with a friend using only traps and spells (no trap/spell monsters) because any deck I make is inferior to one made by someone who actually knows the game and will proceed to OTK me.

It's not an OTK most of the time

It's more of a two-swing kill

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

List of legendaries in shadowverse that are complete bullshit:

Daria, Dimensional Witch; Albert, Levin Saber; Ouroboros; Demon Lord Eachtar; Heavenly Aegis.

Started looking into Yu-Gi-Oh, saw the effect on Pot of Greed, had to quit for a while until my brain could process how anyone considered putting an effect like that into a card game for free.

2 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Started looking into Yu-Gi-Oh, saw the effect on Pot of Greed, had to quit for a while until my brain could process how anyone considered putting an effect like that into a card game for free.

Hey, talk to the people who thought gaining/preventing 3 was the same as drawing 3.

Edited by A 1970 Corvette
I dunno if that link would be worth reading t b h

15 minutes ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

Hey, talk to the people who thought gaining/preventing 3 was the same as drawing 3.

Richard Garfield knew that recall was the best of the bunch, he just thought that having random high powered cards would make the game more interesting since you'd have things you'd want to get in the ante.

If anything, I'd say that Graceful Charity is a more powerful card than Pot of Greed but GC requires a deck that is reliant on needing things in GY. Which, this being YGO, is basically every deck, but still.

I shudder to imagine things like Dragon Rulers or unnerfed Burning Abyss with Graceful Charities in there too.

I recently got back into playing Yu-Gi-Oh a month ago and got my ass handed to me by my friend with his pendulum, synchro's, xyz's, and turners.

It wasn't even a quick loss, it was like an hour long and he drug it out so he could summon his strongest monsters to just thoroughly thrash me, while I simply just stalled and hoped I could get something like Black Hole. Cue me complaining about how bullshit it is he can just special summon two monsters onto the field that ignore spells/traps, and have over 2000 atk/def basically on his second turn..... Followed by him saying "just make a deck to counter it".

So.

I spent the next month going through his extra cards, my friends cards, buying some here and there, and Frankenstein'd a deck of powerful spells, traps, and effect monsters. No pendulum, no synchro, no xyz, no turners, not even normal fusion, just a deck of some really strong effects.

I fucking decked him in three turns, any duel we've had from then on has never gotten passed six turns and I never take any damage unless I inflict it on myself.

Edited by Tails Thee Fox

Finally got a rogue aggro runecraft strategy that seems to work in A.

Magic Girl Melvie is really, really, good in aggro.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

It's literally the day after the expansion came out, and every deck I'm facing is playing Goblin Leader and multiple copies of Alice.

This is why "neutral matters" is a really stupid theme.

This just in: triple spawn of the abyss is the dumbest thing ever.

Literally at least 22 damage that there's no way in the entire game to avoid.  And thanks to Baphomet, this can all start turn 6 (while his tutoring greatly improves the reliability of it).

The only way to counter this strategy is to kill the opponent by turn 6 at the latest.  As if the meta wasn't already biased enough towards aggro. (And the spawn strategy, incidentally, works perfectly well in an aggro deck on top of that.)

EDIT: Wow, sites are literally inventing new tiers to describe how good this deck is.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

I used to play yugioh but stopped and still have my deck (E-hero/masked hero) though i don't bother going to my local shop to play from being both not getting much for heroes and the game becoming annoying to play with people bringing out monsters with high attack and filling the bored really quickly also the people who play at my local are all annoying and rude (fuck xyz, pendulum as well).  

Dont play magic anymore for that matter but that is due to them no longer doing modern and standard not having blocks that intrested me. The last one they did that I was really into was shadows over innistrad  

I also used to play cardfight vanguard but that died after 2 months.

But recently I've been thinking on going into the Pokémon tcg since friends i know play it and i think its popular at the shop. 

Shadowverse has reached the point where half the ranked games use the exact same deck. 55% winrate, 60% winrate going first.  Nearly every deck (except the top one) is around 40% winrate if it goes second. (EDIT: All of this is at the top rank.  At lower ranks things are more lopsided.)

Reminds me of that joke about Urza's meta in magic: the early game is the coinflip, midgame is the mulligan, and late game is the first turn.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

On 7/5/2017 at 3:52 PM, Raze said:

also the people who play at my local are all annoying and rude (fuck xyz, pendulum as well).  

Yeah most people who play YGO are like that, in my experience. Most of the reason I only play on YGOPro now is price, but a small bit of it is that everyone was a dick. Glad that I had a good group to get me into it though, I love it.

Also Xyz and to a much greater degree Pendulum got nerfed by the Links update at least!! 

5 hours ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

Also Xyz and to a much greater degree Pendulum got nerfed by the Links update at least!! 

Yeah I heard about the link summoning nerfing pendulum which is pretty great though I feel Xyz and synchro will still be a issue (Even though i've heard people complain about synchro i liked it) 

Though the Links update nerfed Pendulum the most mechanically (By combining the Pendulum and S/T zones, as well as the Extra Monster Zone's rules) certain Synchro deck strategies are completely unusable now. Most importantly, Yusei Fudou Solitaire and other Quasar Turbo decks. I really liked those decks, though admittedly I don't know if many others share my opinion.

Other, more "normal" decks are honestly not going to be hurt too hard by this change or can adapt using Links. Zoodiacs, a R4NK Xyz spam deck, just adapted by using Missus Radiant (a generic EARTH Link monster) and overall the Extra Monster Zone changes just seem to overall stop complete blowouts where you can summon 3 boss monsters at once and your opponent doesn't have the backrow/hand to stop you.

I'm sad that it shit on pendulums so much, as Zefra was one of my favourite decks and is going to be pretty much kill, but on the other hand this gives them the opportunity to explore new places with cards. I can imagine them printing some Pendulums that couldn't be printed with the old rules now, considering how much they've been nerfed.

The more I think about it, the more fascinating this Spawn/Alice deck is.  It may be the perfect card game deck in any card game.

The thing about it is that it has strong threats to play in the early game, midgame and endgame.  In the early game it just throws an aggro package at you which is as fast as anything else in the game.  In the midgame it uses high impact cards that will nearly always 2 for 1 if not 3 for 1 (without the use of evolution points in many cases) thus allowing them to continue the assault without falling behind in tempo or cards.  And after the midgame they have a one turn kill that punches through pretty much every defensive measure the game has to offer.

It really shows the value in that maxim: "there are wrong answers but there are no wrong threats."  You can certainly make a counter deck for the aggro portion, or the midgame trading, or the one turn kill.  But if you do that, you'll get beaten in the other two phases and lose anyway.  If you try to counter all three phases, you are highly likely to draw the answers for the wrong phase, and thus not really answer anything.

It turns out that there is one counter though: a deck which is almost identical but which has a better midgame aggro component and thus kills the main deck before they get to the one turn kill.  The way that things are developing, since there are no other possible counters, without nerfs the meta will become two decks that only differ by 1 or 2 cards.