DualJay

Would you undergo torture for superpowers?

In all cases, we'll say the superpowers are roughly as powerful as spiderman's, though the exact details are unimportant. You are guaranteed to survive in all cases. The powers you get cannot be used to repair or erase any psychological trauma from the torture. You are in a time chamber for the entire period - from the perspective of everyone else, the time the torture happened in never occurred, so you don't have any unexplained disappearances. 

1) Three hours of torture by a KGB expert. You can call for a stop anytime, but if you do, you don't get the powers.

2) Twelve hours of torture by a KGB expert. 

3) Three days of torture by a team of KGB experts.

4) Three days of torture by a team of KGD experts, but your memory of the torture and all trauma from it is erased permanently afterwards.

5) A year of torture by a bunch of demons who will do literally the worst possible, but your memory of the torture and all trauma from it is erased permanently afterwards.

Fuck it, if no one knows I'm gone, I don't really lose any time and I won't remember any of the suffering anyway, why not go for 4 or 5?

Edited by Medic

1 (maybe) or 4.

Even with the memory-erasing, 5 would probably be too much for me to handle. And, well, it's only Spiderman-level powers. Not quite worth a year in Hell, y'know?

10 hours ago, Idiot Cube said:

1 (maybe) or 4.

Even with the memory-erasing, 5 would probably be too much for me to handle. And, well, it's only Spiderman-level powers. Not quite worth a year in Hell, y'know?

Spiderman-level is nothing to sneeze at. More than raw power (which he has, lifting 16 tons is pretty grand), his powers have a bit of variety to them (super agility/stamina/strength, limited precognition, various mobility powers) so you're not just stuck with the "Luke Cage package" (strong, durable, nothin' else).

1, 4, and 5 are the best options. 1 is the shortest and the latter two may as well have never happened at all. If you don't and can't remember it (and there are no lasting or permanent injuries) then that's the best option for getting out of it without lasting trauma, even less than the three hour option.

1 hour ago, Rynjin said:

Spiderman-level is nothing to sneeze at. More than raw power (which he has, lifting 16 tons is pretty grand), his powers have a bit of variety to them (super agility/stamina/strength, limited precognition, various mobility powers) so you're not just stuck with the "Luke Cage package" (strong, durable, nothin' else).

1, 4, and 5 are the best options. 1 is the shortest and the latter two may as well have never happened at all. If you don't and can't remember it (and there are no lasting or permanent injuries) then that's the best option for getting out of it without lasting trauma, even less than the three hour option.

Spiderman's a dick though.

9 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Spiderman's a dick though.

No, he's just socially incompetent. Although these days, he's basically a nicer Tony Stark.

3 hours ago, Razputin said:

Any option where you can choose to stop would be an automatic failure, no way you'd go through with it once they are actually torturing you

Which is why option 4 is the best. Super powers AND no PTSD!

2 hours ago, Medic said:

Which is why option 4 is the best. Super powers AND no PTSD!

its irrelevant if you can't remember, if you're conscious for the torture you'll ask them to stop pretty much immediately

In a hundred years every one of us will have forgotten everything we did in our lives, doesn't mean we don't experience it now

Also for the 3 day torture without mindwipe I am pretty sure you'd be too psychologically scarred to function let alone use cool spiderman powers

1 hour ago, Razputin said:

In a hundred years every one of us will have forgotten everything we did in our lives, doesn't mean we don't experience it now

But it's not relevant if you don't remember it. You stub your toe today, and if you've forgotten by tomorrow it may as well not have happened. There's no lingering pain, you don't remember it happening, it's just a blip of your life that is now gone forever.

Options 4/5 are even more thorough than that. You're not even going to remember it the next time you "stub your toe" because the memory isn't just SUPPRESSED, it's gone entirely. There's no time passed so from your perspective you're there one second and the next you suddenly have superpowers. There is no evidence of the torture and no memory to sully the experience.

That's assuming you don't simply die from shock in the meantime. 

Just try to imagine what demonic torture could be like. It's probably something beyond human understanding. Maybe they can mess with your perception of time, so that one year feels like a thousand. 

The mind can only take so much trauma. 

4 minutes ago, Idiot Cube said:

Just try to imagine what demonic torture could be like. It's probably something beyond human understanding. Maybe they can mess with your perception of time, so that one year feels like a thousand. 

Image result for hell painting

43 minutes ago, Rynjin said:

There's no lingering pain, you don't remember it happening, it's just a blip of your life that is now gone forever.

That's what I'm saying though, by that logic nothing in life has any value as you will forget it all forever once you die. In a less depressing way if you get so hammered you forget parts of last night it was still one hell of a party. I disagree with judging an experience just by what you remember of it

16 minutes ago, Idiot Cube said:

On 7/8/2017 at 11:31 PM, DualJay said:

You are guaranteed to survive in all cases.

11 minutes ago, Idiot Cube said:

Not within the bounds of this hypothetical. "You are guaranteed to survive in all cases".

1 minute ago, Razputin said:

That's what I'm saying though, by that logic nothing in life has any value as you will forget it all forever once you die. In a less depressing way if you get so hammered you forget parts of last night it was still one hell of a party. I disagree with judging an experience just by what you remember of it

To be honest, that's always been my philosophy. If you get blackout drunk and can't remember the party, what's the point?

What is an experience you don't remember? You have fond memories of times you have fun, and that's the only evidence you ever had fun at all, really. So if you don't remember it, what was the point?

It's the same as if you learn of some new concept and then forget about it. You may as well have never been told it at all.

I also consider being totally amnesiac as in most depictions in fiction to be essentially dead. Are you really YOU without any of your memories or life experiences? I don't think so, anyway.

I basically had that philosophy for a long while but once I got into psychology that soon dissipated. Our memory honestly sucks real hard and is incredibly unreliable; it evolved with the function of saving information that might be useful in the future, so unless it repeatedly gets accessed it just gets overwritten. From all the days that you lived, how many hours do you actually remember? What did you have for dinner yesterday, and the day before that, andsofort? I recon that even here on subspuf where the average age is around 20-ish people will on average remember less than 10% of their lives, let alone when you're in your 50s

It is also shockingly easy to talk people into false memories, scary easy even. There was a famous study where they tried to make a group of children remember when they got abducted by friendly aliens, and it worked on every single one of them. The study went so well and was so consistent they tried it with adults, letting them remember the time they took an air balloon trip (that they never took). People will concoct complete fake memories out of thin air ("ah yeah I was 19, it was in the summer with my girlfriend at the time, we were both really nervous but" etc etc) if you just press them a little bit, they believe they are telling the truth. It's a big issue with testimonials actually when you have lawyers talking people into recalling fake memories.

So if you ask me which is more real, that balloon trip I vividly remember but never took or the delicious dinner I had 3 years ago but completely forgot, I'd say the dinner