DualJay

Would you undergo torture for superpowers?

6 minutes ago, Razputin said:

There was a famous study where they tried to make a group of children remember when they got abducted by friendly aliens, and it worked on every single one of them. The study went so well and was so consistent they tried it with adults, letting them remember the time they took an air balloon trip (that they never took).

Sounds interesting. What was that study called?

And an argument in favor of every case with memory erasure (I wouldn't do any of the ones you remember except maybe number two): Consider someone asks you, "would you like superpowers?" and you say yes. They then take you into a time chamber without warning and torture you for ten thousand years, before erasing all memory and trauma of the torture and granting you superpowers. From your perspective, you just got superpowers for free.

All that's different is that in this scenario you know you were tortured.

Also, the memory erasure is effectively sedation - and people agree to have their chests cut open or teeth pulled out all the time, on the understanding that they'll be sedated and won't feel a thing. The benefits of superpowers far outweigh the benefits of most surgeries, so I'd argue it's like an unpleasant surgery.

Edited by DualJay

19 minutes ago, Razputin said:

I basically had that philosophy for a long while but once I got into psychology that soon dissipated. Our memory honestly sucks real hard and is incredibly unreliable; it evolved with the function of saving information that might be useful in the future, so unless it repeatedly gets accessed it just gets overwritten. From all the days that you lived, how many hours do you actually remember? What did you have for dinner yesterday, and the day before that, andsofort? I recon that even here on subspuf where the average age is around 20-ish people will on average remember less than 10% of their lives, let alone when you're in your 50s

It is also shockingly easy to talk people into false memories, scary easy even. There was a famous study where they tried to make a group of children remember when they got abducted by friendly aliens, and it worked on every single one of them. The study went so well and was so consistent they tried it with adults, letting them remember the time they took an air balloon trip (that they never took). People will concoct complete fake memories out of thin air ("ah yeah I was 19, it was in the summer with my girlfriend at the time, we were both really nervous but" etc etc) if you just press them a little bit, they believe they are telling the truth. It's a big issue with testimonials actually when you have lawyers talking people into recalling fake memories.

So if you ask me which is more real, that balloon trip I vividly remember but never took or the delicious dinner I had 3 years ago but completely forgot, I'd say the dinner

Get your fucking existential crisis out of here.

15 minutes ago, Razputin said:

I basically had that philosophy for a long while but once I got into psychology that soon dissipated. Our memory honestly sucks real hard and is incredibly unreliable; it evolved with the function of saving information that might be useful in the future, so unless it repeatedly gets accessed it just gets overwritten. From all the days that you lived, how many hours do you actually remember? What did you have for dinner yesterday, and the day before that, andsofort? I recon that even here on subspuf where the average age is around 20-ish people will on average remember less than 10% of their lives, let alone when you're in your 50s

It is also shockingly easy to talk people into false memories, scary easy even. There was a famous study where they tried to make a group of children remember when they got abducted by friendly aliens, and it worked on every single one of them. The study went so well and was so consistent they tried it with adults, letting them remember the time they took an air balloon trip (that they never took). People will concoct complete fake memories out of thin air ("ah yeah I was 19, it was in the summer with my girlfriend at the time, we were both really nervous but" etc etc) if you just press them a little bit, they believe they are telling the truth. It's a big issue with testimonials actually when you have lawyers talking people into recalling fake memories.

So if you ask me which is more real, that balloon trip I vividly remember but never took or the delicious dinner I had 3 years ago but completely forgot, I'd say the dinner

Is reality really that important in this context though? That dinner you had 3 years ago might be more "real" but it's less significant than that balloon trip you never took.

The memories being real or fake doesn't change the impact they have or don't have on you. As an example, convincing a child they took a balloon trip they never took and it instilling feelings of love for being in the air and flying and all that might inspire them to become a pilot or something. That fake memory has more impact on their personality/life than any REAL potentially formative events they could have already forgotten (like say the balloon trip was real but they were terrified the whole time; the parents misremembering their terror for excitement and telling the story "wrong" for example).

Basically what I'm arguing is that it doesn't really matter what's more REAL it matters what's more SIGNIFICANT. That dinner you don't remember is less significant than the balloon trip that never happened. The thousand years of torture you don't remember is less significant than that high school fling you really just imagined so often you remember it as real.

The memory loss is definitely a big upside, yeah, I just don't think it's a free get out of jail card. Seeing it as a sedation is a good point, but a year of torture with mindwipe still seems much worse than 3 days without mindwipe.

25 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Get your fucking existential crisis out of here.

Bite me little man, this sure as hell is a more interesting discussion than "how many good boy points would you spend to become Spiderman"

1 minute ago, Razputin said:

The memory loss is definitely a big upside, yeah, I just don't think it's a free get out of jail card. Seeing it as a sedation is a good point, but a year of torture with mindwipe still seems much worse than 3 days without mindwipe.

Bite me little man, this sure as hell is a more interesting discussion than "how many good boy points would you spend to become Spiderman"

Who you calling little, man?

On 7/9/2017 at 1:15 AM, Idiot Cube said:

Not quite worth a year in Hell, y'know?

Yeah but imagine getting holy anti-Demon powers and having to piece together the details of your torture and captivity to exact righteous revenge upon them

Edited by A 1970 Corvette

On 7/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, A 1970 Corvette said:

Yeah but imagine getting holy anti-Demon powers and having to piece together the details of your torture and captivity to exact righteous revenge upon them

Would you really want revenge for something that you don't remember and hasn't negatively effected you in the long term?

is the potency

On 7/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, Medic said:

No, he's just socially incompetent. Although these days, he's basically a nicer Tony Stark.

Peter Parker and Tony Stark seem very different to me