Razputin

Recommend ONE (1) thing

There's so many different pieces of media to choose from nowadays we get complete choice overload and end up sticking with what we already know. If you ask for recommendations, people will gladly help, but often present you with such a massive pool of options you end up with the same problem. So ITT:

1. Recommend ONE (1) piece of media that you really enjoy and would like for more people to get into

2. Media can basically be anything, movies, music, games, annemays

3. Don't suggest your "best thing ever" per se, but something you think could get other people interested into a broader subject, like a good introductory album to a musical genre 

4. Really try to sell it to someone who wouldn't otherwise be interested; just wailing about how amazing it is won't do much (and a longer post isn't a better post per se)

5. If someone convinces you of watching/listening/reading their suggested piece of media, give them a nice juicy reply

I didn't sleep through the night and instead spent a majority of the time rewatching, reading about, and thinking about Serial Experiments Lain. But this post won't be about that anime, but will instead be about the obscure English indie alt rock band that did the opening theme for it.

They originally released their first studio album The Race of a Thousand Camels exclusively in Japan I believe. Their album Twilight was an international release with some bonus songs. They also have another studio album called Get There, but I haven't listened to much of it and don't have much of an opinion on it.

There's a certain distinction you make between a good album and an amazing album. Perhaps it's not very apparent if you've never really listened to music actively before. You don't really understand music if you're just listening to it passively while doing other things. It would be like movie while talking to someone. Similarly, you don't get the same experience while listening to music whilst doing something else.

This album is one of the few albums that legitimately did redefine how I viewed and treated music. The only other albums that have gotten that kind of reaction are Nine Inch Nails's The Downward Spiral, Sleep's Dopesmoker, and to a much lesser extent Vektroid's ClearSkies™ and Against Me!'s Reinventing Axl Rose. This album is like a drug in the sense that afterwards you'll never be able to have the initial reaction ever again. From that point on you're just going to be constantly chasing dragons whilst normalizing what makes it so great. It's not just an album, but a spiritual journey. I don't know what I would give to be able to hear that intro riff in Fool, the breakdown in Twilight, or chorus in Rain for the first time.

One thing?

I Appear Missing. There's something about this song that's somewhat haunting. It's not just a generic soft song, or even really standard QOTSA material, but it's beautiful and depressing and lonely all at the same time.

Whenever I put on music I have two categories I choose from: Music that I enjoy, and music that I enjoy that I feel comfortable putting on with other people around.

One of my go-tos from the latter category is a band called Serpent Throne, and the album I specifically like to put on is Brother Lucifer. That sounds pretty bad from names alone, but bear with me here.

It's instrumental. No vocals, no screeing or anything. That already keeps it playing for longer than ten seconds. It's still probably a little more heavy than what would play most of the time but it's a far cry from Industrial Symphonic Death-Thrash or whatever I turn on to relax and it helps that there's no guy screaming about Timothy McVeigh. I'd like to imagine that the album has enough of the bluesy side of doom metal to not weird people out. The solos are still a lot of fun too. The last song, Napalm Mourning, is a very powerful song and the outro is fucking amazing, I love it.

The album, from the various song names and album cover, has a Vietnam theme. Without lyrics to explicity state it, you can take the songs as they are or imagine RS2 Vietnam gameplay as you listen to it. At the very least, I hope that it's an album that someone can listen to without having to grow out their hair and yell UP THE IRONS whenever they see something "brutal."

If you've never tried mobas like League or Dota (or have and disliked them), try Heroes of the Storm.

The learning curve is not as steep for several reasons, foremost being much simpler in-game progression via talents as you level instead of a shop and that XP is shared for the entire team so there is no "last hitting".

Additionally, teamfights are longer meaning there's more interaction and games are shorter meaning there is less of a time commitment per game. Additionally, the "laning" phase is much shorter than in other mobas, meaning you get to the action faster. Finally, there are different maps with various objective phases that help whichever team takes them win the game (for example, Braxis Holdout has points you must hold that eventually will summon a large wave of Zerg to attack enemies).

Since Quakecon is on, I would like to recommend Quake 1 since pretty much everyone has played Quake 3, but not the original game. It's pretty cheap on Steam and GOG right now, but I would recommend getting the GOG version over Steam purely for DRM-free. It's also recommended to get a modern client like ezQuake and going through the proper modding process to add the really awesome Nine Inch Nails soundtrack back into the game since the game used to play it via CD, but obviously doesn't do that if you don't have a physical CD.

It's a completely different experience compared to Quake 3 or DOOM that contains the same basic gameplay loop while having a completely different tone and feel to it. DOOM was the experiment to combine fast paced shooting action with demonic horror. If Quake 3 emphasized the action (most likely due to Quake 2's singleplayer), Quake 1 emphasized gothic horror with eldritch beasts.

Ever wondered if an active non-toxic gaming community exists?

I kept asking myself the same question after TF2 left its golden age and I witnessed the Overwatch playerbase to slowly start to increase its toxic level, until I found out the Destiny franchise four years ago.

With Destiny being a primarily focused PvE action first person shooter, the game despite its many flaws, has a very friendly community always willing to help you. Whether you are a complete noob or a long time veteran, no one will complain about your class/loadout when you are carrying your teammates through cooperative missions or dying miserably during a Raid and calling a wipe.

The franchise will also be available on PC for the first time ever.

An Open Beta for Destiny 2 is scheduled next week on August 29th if you haven't heard it already. This might be your best and last chance to give the game a try without having shell out sixty bucks on it and not knowing what exactly are you getting yourself into.

Be aware however, the only three player PvE activity available during the beta will be "The Inverted Spire" strike.

There is also a newbie friendly thread on the Digital Gaming section that should give you a brief rundown on Destiny 2 and its predecessor.

On 23/08/2017 at 9:40 PM, DualJay said:

If you've never tried mobas like League or Dota (or have and disliked them), try Heroes of the Storm.

The learning curve is not as steep for several reasons, foremost being much simpler in-game progression via talents as you level instead of a shop and that XP is shared for the entire team so there is no "last hitting".

Additionally, teamfights are longer meaning there's more interaction and games are shorter meaning there is less of a time commitment per game. Additionally, the "laning" phase is much shorter than in other mobas, meaning you get to the action faster. Finally, there are different maps with various objective phases that help whichever team takes them win the game (for example, Braxis Holdout has points you must hold that eventually will summon a large wave of Zerg to attack enemies).

I can definitely vouch for that.

One of my friends gave me an extremely similar recommendation regarding Heroes of the Storm a few weeks ago after I told him I hated the moba genre for years.

Even though I was skeptical at first, I gave it a try and been unexpectedly surprised so far.

I loved how Blizzard managed to get rid of items and keep the interface clean and easy to learn.

Different maps with dynamic objectives and layouts were also icing on the cake.

The best part for me was knowing that you (or your opponents) could score a comeback at any minute during most matches, unlike other mobas where by the time ten in-game minutes pass you know which team has a clear advantage.

Edited by Spectre

This is the one song I play when I need to work overtime. The song to me has that particular quality that makes it soothing for me when I'm working late: it's not particularly heavy, somewhat slow, and it's not too upbeat, nor is it overwhelmingly sad. What I like most was the video. It's a good reminder to take my mind off whatever I was doing, and just go off and rest for a bit.

Spectre you're either on Activision's payroll or you've actually suffered through the heap of garbage that was Destiny 1 for so long that it's managed to rewire the 'pain' and 'pleasure' centers in your brain to make that fucking Skinners box bearable.

52 minutes ago, Insectan said:

Spectre you're either on Activision's payroll or you've actually suffered through the heap of garbage that was Destiny 1 for so long that it's managed to rewire the 'pain' and 'pleasure' centers in your brain to make that fucking Skinners box bearable.

Seriously. I can understand being excited for a game and wanting other people to be too, but literally every single post Spectre has made has incorporated Destiny in some manner, be it directly discussing it or linking various quotes from the fucking Destiny wiki page. Half of them read like poorly disguised advertisements and  I would be willing to believe that they were indeed a viral marketer, but this forum is so small that it wouldn't make much sense from an efficiency point of view, so I guess he's just that dedicated.

7 hours ago, Insectan said:

I wish.

I had the feeling I would give that impression sooner or later.

Well... if I was, I would need to be completely biased however. Not being honest doesn't match my profile. That's why I didn't continue my studies in journalism.

I'm more than willing to bash Activision and expose their latest work major flaws.

As for my suffering, I'll spoil that as an almost full time PC user, I had to endure years of getting used play an fps with a controller, besides trying to convince console players to install and use Discord instead of the unreliable Xbox voice chat.

Can't say I'm not hyped however. For me, its like if Overwatch was a console exclusive for years and it is just now receiving a PC release.

12 hours ago, Spectre said:

Yep.

I'm already prepared to be disappointed.

Playing safe is the way to go.

(Overwatch wasn't a let down though)

I think overwatch was a huge let down tbh, though I still play due to Stockholm syndrome kind of like destiny players during year 1. 

The game just has so much that bugs me and annoys me plus since it is a blizz game balance is always out of the window. However I keep playing it because there is no other fps out that I'm interested in.