TheOnlyGuyEver

Jungle Inferno Update Thread

2 hours ago, hugthebed2 said:

wow I was going to reveal it still works with a really neat video I took but nooooo

I actually was thinking about not revealing it so as to not steal your thunder.

I used this glitch with owels about an hour ago. If you have the time to get up to the stupid amounts of health, it's absolutely gamebreaking. The timing with the glitch is also really bad, as you basically need a spy to backstab the heavy, and the pyro update has made every team run a ton of pyros.

I'm kind of interested in the growth rate for the health though. Why is it scaling exponentially the way it is?

5 hours ago, majer63 said:

I used this glitch with owels about an hour ago. If you have the time to get up to the stupid amounts of health, it's absolutely gamebreaking. The timing with the glitch is also really bad, as you basically need a spy to backstab the heavy, and the pyro update has made every team run a ton of pyros.

I'm kind of interested in the growth rate for the health though. Why is it scaling exponentially the way it is?

Because the GRU and/or Dalokahs effects are based on proportions of your max HP, so each cycle effectively multiplies your max HP by a bit.

4 minutes ago, Kered13 said:

Because the GRU and/or Dalokahs effects are based on proportions of your max HP, so each cycle effectively multiplies your max HP by a bit.

Does this still work? I tried it for kicks n giggles, but notta.

11 minutes ago, Expresate said:

I got it to work and got around to about 15k. Then they vote kicked me for idling :/

Once you get your health up a good bit you can leave spawn to go to some convenient hidey hole to keep doing it until you get your health where you want it.

4 minutes ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

Once you get your health up a good bit you can leave spawn to go to some convenient hidey hole to keep doing it until you get your health where you want it.

What would you consider a good bit? 800?

Had fun backstabbing enemy heavies that did the glitch today while farming up contracts for my friend.

People that do it generally aren't very aware of spies even though they should be...

Edited by hugthebed2

38 minutes ago, Expresate said:

What would you consider a good bit? 800?

Basically however much you need so you won't be quickly killed outside of spawn.  800's probably enough.

The Dragon's Fury is amazing, one of my favourite weapons just hands down. The other new pyro weapons seem kind of lacking; the jet pack is really limited with all the cooldown and slow switching, the gas passer is a lot of work just for something that can be extinguished with a healthpack, and the slapper was probably intended as a joke from the start

1 hour ago, Razputin said:

The Dragon's Fury is amazing, one of my favourite weapons just hands down. The other new pyro weapons seem kind of lacking; the jet pack is really limited with all the cooldown and slow switching, the gas passer is a lot of work just for something that can be extinguished with a healthpack, and the slapper was probably intended as a joke from the start

Dragon's Fury is so damn fun to use, and can be fun to fight, assuming there aren't 10 Pyros in a server. It's definitely better than a flamethrower in the ways that matter big, but I think the other flamethrowers definitely still have their place, especially with the new particle improvements letting them deal a lot more damage overall.

The Thermal Thruster I can see getting a buff, specifically removing or lessening the holster penalty. I think the recharge speed on the charges is fine, but the holster speed really kills it as a combat weapon. Unless you're jumping from somewhere high up relative to where you're landing, you probably won't have your flamethrower out and ready by the time you land. But for what it is currently, it's very good.

Gas Passer needs non-extinguishable afterburn buff, then it'll actually be valuable. Or maybe the gas could make them take 50% - 100% more fire damage, including the afterburn.

Hot Hand is joke.

The biggest issue I have with the Thermal thruster is that you have to give up a shotgun to use it. Without a shotgun or flare gun, pyro is a free kill to scout unless you're using the new flamethrower.

The dragon's fury should've been a long range flame weapon, like a beefy flare gun, not a weird mix of both the flamethrower and flare gun which does neither job all that well. Outside of 1v1's the dragon's fury is useless, and it does not have enough range to really be a threat imho. The only thing it does really well is ignite pyros for afterburn.

The Gas Passer would be great if it worked like jarate, except it doesn't. You either wait for it to build, or you W+M1 into a crowd to make it build instantly at the probable expense of your life. All for an "area denial" effect that only denies a small area for a very small time, with an effect that is actually quicker to nullify if you take damage and then put out the after burn. The Gas Passer should be more like Jarate, with incurable afterburn, so that it actually works as an area denial weapon.

The Hot Hand is not the Powerjack and therefore is bad in all situations other than having a laugh at a bad player's expense.

20 minutes ago, _Jaybee_ said:

The biggest issue I have with the Thermal thruster is that you have to give up a shotgun to use it. Without a shotgun or flare gun, pyro is a free kill to scout unless you're using the new flamethrower.

The dragon's fury should've been a long range flame weapon, like a beefy flare gun, not a weird mix of both the flamethrower and flare gun which does neither job all that well. Outside of 1v1's the dragon's fury is useless, and it does not have enough range to really be a threat imho. The only thing it does really well is ignite pyros for afterburn.

The Gas Passer would be great if it worked like jarate, except it doesn't. You either wait for it to build, or you W+M1 into a crowd to make it build instantly at the probable expense of your life. All for an "area denial" effect that only denies a small area for a very small time, with an effect that is actually quicker to nullify if you take damage and then put out the after burn. The Gas Passer should be more like Jarate, with incurable afterburn, so that it actually works as an area denial weapon.

The Hot Hand is not the Powerjack and therefore is bad in all situations other than having a laugh at a bad player's expense.

IMO, the range on the Dragon's Fury is already big. It can 2 shot lights, and If it had long range in combination with its already crazy close range to mid range capabilities I think it'd be too much. And I think it's good that the Dragon's Fury isn't able to solo a whole crowd, cause then it'd overshadow the other flamethrowers completely; there still has to be some sort of tradeoff for an unlock.

And it's been confirmed that the gas not starting out full is a bug. I agree the afterburn should be non-extinguishable.

Fireball launcher is fun.

It rewards accuracy with a faster cooldown and ends up as a really fun DM weapon.

Sacrifices the crowd control capabilities of the flamethrowers though, you won't be stealth burning crowds of people with it.

Plus if you miss, you may as well be dead, because it takes two to three hits to kill anyone, more than enough time for a heavy/soldier/scout/flamethrower to unload on you.

And it's missing the +20hp on extinguishes, making it less useful with teammates.

Like, getting blasted at point blank sucks when fighting it, but it's pyro. He's supposed to be close range.

So after the pyro spam dies down, I think it'll be a balanced 1v1 tool which rewards aim, but is worse against crowds.

Because it doesn't feel any more lethal than getting two shotted by a rocket launcher, it's just that pyro is actually killing people now.

As for the Jetpack, the fast equip time and long unequip seems to be valve trying really hard to prevent Flyro/Pyroknight.

It's an excellent positioning tool that lets you cross gaps and gain positions formerly exclusive to Soldiers/Demos/Scouts, without having to spend health to get there.

The Tackle damage and extinguishing teammates really feel like things they just tacked on because they're wildly impractical. Maybe they're vestiges from an earlier version.

I know people were really stoked to have Jetpacking flamethrowers, but it sounds like a nightmare to balance/fight especially when you'd have shit like surprise Jetpack charging Backburners/Phlogs into crowds of people. So I'm perfectly okay with the mobility niche it fills, because giving the Pyro what is effectively a Chargin-Targe jetpack sounds like a horrible idea for everyone who isn't pyro.

Gas Can is really meh?

It takes forever to charge, doesn't charge on respawn or on cabinet, and can easily be extinguished.

Probably they did that to prevent people from just permanently gasclouding an area, but right now it's just not very good.

Like, why am I going to use the Gascan once every Sixty seconds (Which is longer than it takes to charge Uber!) to Gas an area for a couple seconds?

Maybe I hit four or five people if I'm lucky, now for the next ten seconds they're mildly inconvenienced by the potential to be hit by regular afterburn. Which can easily be extinguished.

If it's going to take sixty seconds to charge and replace the shotgun/flaregun/jetpack it needs to do something a little better than that.

But just making it charge faster is probably a bad idea because then you'd just have permanently gassed areas on payload/defense maps.

The Jetpack is good for the phlog since it gives you an option to extinguish teammates (manmelter is useless) but until it and the Dragon's Fury both get the 20 health on extinguish, it's really not worth it.

The Dragon's Fury also lacks the ability to set Huntsman Arrows on fire, which I really dislike.