Sign in to follow this  
hugthebed2

Magic 2014

Does anyone else play? I picked it up in June of 2014 on Steam and have unlocked a few decks. Pretty fun stuff. I've done fairly well but I still lose to people with some stronger decks, but I think I need to just unlock the rest of the decks and cards.

Magic 2014 is a game

I played M2014 briefly, but although it is pretty entertaining it is so limited compared to paper magic or other digital games. If I recall there are really odd limitations on what can be in your deck and it autotaps mana for you which can fuck you over

15 minutes ago, Razputin said:

Magic 2014 is a game

I played M2014 briefly, but although it is pretty entertaining it is so limited compared to paper magic or other digital games. If I recall there are really odd limitations on what can be in your deck and it autotaps mana for you which can fuck you over

Like all the duels of the planeswalkers before it, you get a series of pre-made decks and earn cards specifically for that deck.  This does limit your deck-building a bunch, especially as many of the earned cards are absolutely trash for the deck in question, but there is still room for creativity.  For example, the white weenie deck can be built as a mean "fuck you I'm getting creatures out fast and finishing you off with a bomb" deck or as a combo deck that puts out ridiculous number of human tokens in the late game.  Similarly the mono-black deck in the expansion starts off as a vague demon/evil theme deck, but can be turned into a fun heartless summoning deck.

It does get pretty annoying that there are cards programmed into the game that would go well in one deck, but cannot be placed in it since they aren't unlocked for it.  Notably, there isn't any reason that the green ramp deck wouldn't run nature's lore over rampant growth, and nature's lore is part of the game in Garruk's deck, but you can't add it.  Then again, the ramp deck is already good enough in the game without it.  (More annoying to me is the fact that the red-blue counterburn deck never gets counterspell and has to make do with cancel, despite Jace's deck getting counterspell, since Jace's deck is arguably the best in the game).

As for autotapping, it displays how the lands are going to tap before you cast the spell and you can change what lands are tapped.  It's just a way of speeding the game up, which becomes particularly nice if you play two-headed giant in local coop.

They dropped the deckbuilding requirements in magic 2015, which was pretty nice, but it came at the cost of making the netcode and interface worse in nearly every way possible, and certain themes were pushed so hard in the card pool that it was almost like you had premade decks anyway.  After that they went for a continuously updated online game to compete with hearthstone, but at the cost of even more features.

Honestly I'd probably play Magic 2014 over Magic 2015 and Magic Duels at this point.

Edited by Gyokuyoutama

After replaying Magic 2014 I do kind of like that sometimes it forces you to play with deck choices you'd never make, but which are (relatively) balanced based on what you can face.

In particular, the red-white samurai/equipment deck definitely needs better creatures (the only decent one that isn't a 1-of is Kitsune Blademaster).  But it's pretty interesting to see how the deck can still hold its own nevertheless due to the presence of the busted Jitte, and to a lesser extent the swords.  The 1/1 bushido samurai might not be very good, but you run them anyway just to have someone to carry your top-tier equipment early on, and that's kind of an interesting deck to play.

Though I still don't get what they intended for the sliver deck.