Sign in to follow this  
A 1970 Corvette

What do you look for in a game?

What's the things you seek out in games? What kind of gameplay or story or visuals or cute gun grills will make you have more than a passing interest in a new release? I'll start off with a yuge wall of text that I didn't initially mean to write out.

• It's gotta be fun solo. I can't stand games that are only really fun with a party stack. Having to wrangle four other people just to play the game without rolling the dice on randos defeats the purpose of a video game for me. Video games are better than other types of games because you DON'T need to get a group together and play, goddammit! I guess they're popular but I personally would rather just play a game that doesn't have bad solo experiences.
  • I love games with wide-open objectives/achievements that just drops you in and lets you decide how important they will be. One of my favourite things about Call of Duty games was building a class around some gimmick or weapon and then getting all the challenges available for it cleared. I spent a long time mastering every release weapon in Advanced Warfare because the challenge was there, and it seemed like something very few people had ever done. PS2 is no exception with its metric tonne of directives across three factions.
  • Games with lots of playstyles (and progression, though it's technically not really that much of a good thing compared to just unlocking everything from the start) are also super appealing to me. I loved TF2's nine classes, but you could even go further and divide the classes further with unlocks. PS2 has three factions with different weapons, ground, air, lots of classes with (somewhat) varied arsenals... I feel like I'm only halfway through it all and I have almost 2k hours in the game. 
  • Games where the items/weapons feel good to use. The gravity hammer in Halo 3, the Gauss SAW in PS2, the Magnum in Halo 1, Home Run Bat in Smash, etc. It sounds minor but I'll play the FPS with good sounding guns every time over one with Mattel toys.
  • Games that don't remind you that you're in a game. 24/7 Hightower: no match ends, nothing breaking up your gameplay saying HEY we're gonna switch maps because this is a GAME and you probably could be doing something more important than playing a GAME. PS2 only breaks up a fight when the entire continent has been conquered, and the sky turns dark and death beams come from giant spaceships. A continent lock in PS2 feels like a good end to a session because they don't come up often. This is also a thing for singleplayer games, but definitely way more common in multiplayer games. It's not even really an "immersion" thing, just that I don't want my fun game to have to end and wait for the next round unless something really big happened.

There's some other stuff but this wall of text is big enough already. TL:DR I want a big game with lots of stuff to do, with stuff that feels appropriately powerful, and doesn't suck you out of the fun to look over stats and let the other nerds get doritos or something.

If you can't think of anything, maybe you have some red flags that will ensure that you don't pay much attention to a game?

I genuinely don't know any more.

I suppose these days it's a jump-in-and-out feeling, the ability to leave whenever I want and a sheer amount of casual play.

• Have a strong sense of progression. I don't like having everything unlocked from the start - I usually get overwhelmed by the myriad of choices. I would rather steadily earn new abilities/weapons/spells/whatever, so I can take the time to get familiar with each one and incorporate it into my playstyle.
  • Have satisfying music. I'll keep trying a bullshit-hard level or boss for hours if it comes with a headbanger that keeps me amped up.
  • Don't make deaths/failures slow and frustrating. If you're going to kill me over and over again, don't add insult to injury by making me sit through a lengthy death animation, followed by a loading screen, and then getting kicked back to a checkpoint from 5 or more minutes ago.
  • Make the stuff I'm doing feel cool and satisfying. This is combination of animation, sound, and flashy effects. When I hit a guy with a big hammer, I want to feel it.

These can vary depending on the genre, but in general they are the things that really make me fall in love with a game.

• Aesthetic is a huge factor for me. I can't enjoy a game if I don't like the artstyle. This is part of why I've never really understood the appeal of NES-era games.
  • It needs to feel accessible but not to the point that it feels like there's no depth. I don't have the time or patience to play a game that isn't interested in giving me an understanding of the mechanics, but if I don't have anything to learn after the game begins, it'll just get boring fast.
  • I also prefer games that aren't just repetitive mission after repetitive mission. Multiplayer games get a pass because every match is different, but for single player games, I want a sense of adventure. Games where you have to grind missions for items in particular can fuck off.

I love it when my games give me options. Having tons of interactions that you can think through and theorycraft with is always a fun time for me - especially if I can think up any exploits :smile:. I guess I also like games where you have a team while at the same time being able to solo carry or make huge impacts. 

At the end of the day, I like showing off or memeing on my enemies.

Don't really know about singleplayer games though. I like me my immersion.

• I do not like games that absolutely require playing with friends in order to be fun.
  • I like resource management (I attribute this as one of the reasons why I main Demo) and a good sense of progression.
  • I'm alright with linear gameplay, if not preferring it. One of the biggest things that cause a lot of open world games to fall flat is that at some point there's just nothing to do.
  • I don't understand immersion quite.
  • Broad and unique weapon selection.
  • I do not like realistic-looking games typically.
  • Fast, free, precise movement.
  • Good and non-repetitive soundtrack. If I can listen to a single track for an hour or two while animating and not get bored, it is good.
  • Not necessarily good story, but well-thought-out story.

8 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:
  • I don't understand immersion quite.

Like, in the sense of any type of game, or multiplayer games only, or?

Also linear singleplayer a best. Yahtzee said it best when it feels like the open world "choose your own path" is more of an excuse to not thoughtfully design encounters rather than for any actual fun factor. Maybe I've been playing too much Far Cry.

2 minutes ago, A 1970 Corvette said:

Like, in the sense of any type of game, or multiplayer games only, or?

Also linear singleplayer a best. Yahtzee said it best when it feels like the open world "choose your own path" is more of an excuse to not thoughtfully design encounters rather than for any actual fun factor. Maybe I've been playing too much Far Cry.

Any game. I don't really understand what it means or is.

I also like good controls, character customization, satisfying combat, good music, some replayability and being able to pick it up and play without having to wait a queue or some shit for the game to start.

Graphics need to be presentable, I dont expect a GTA V or Symphony of the Night for every game, but I dont want to play something where all characters are shiny play-doh models or pixel art that every limb is a straight line or it has less pixels than the original Space Invaders.

Good characters, immersion, story and lore are fine by me, but I usually dont pay too much attention.

I like deep gameplay, where you can constantly come back and find some new quirk that you hadn't realize was there.  But at the same time I'm not fond of gameplay where you need to know a whole manual before you can do anything at all (Victoria series, I'm looking at you).  I guess "easy to learn, hard to master" is the cliche phrase for it.  This is probably why Heroes of Might and Magic III and Alpha Centauri are still favorites of mine, all these years after release.  It's also probably why I'm attracted towards hard arcade type games like danmaku.

But I can go completely the other way and just play it for the story, if it's good.  I've played enough visual novels or things with so little gameplay as to practically be visual novels.  But even there I want the fact that it's on my computer to add to the experience.  That can be a simple as just having good voice acting, or having little immersive quirks like the ability to screw around on your phone in Steins;Gate.  Too many story based games are really just made because the creator isn't a good enough writer to produce a novel, and they think that having it on computer will distract you from this fact.

"Can I run it?" is the big one. Other than that I mostly just look for shit that interests me, vague I know but I know it when I see it.

14 hours ago, Gyokuyoutama said:

But at the same time I'm not fond of gameplay where you need to know a whole manual before you can do anything at all (Victoria series, I'm looking at you).

When I learned Victoria 2 (and HOI3) (and EU3) I just picked a country and went in hard and had the wiki open if I needed anything specific. That's part of the fun in my opinion, not knowing what the fuck is going on and why you have no money and why it took you 20 years to research "medicine". By the end of that run you'll have a good enough grasp on the important bits.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:41 AM, Raison d'être said:

When I learned Victoria 2 (and HOI3) (and EU3) I just picked a country and went in hard and had the wiki open if I needed anything specific. That's part of the fun in my opinion, not knowing what the fuck is going on and why you have no money and why it took you 20 years to research "medicine". By the end of that run you'll have a good enough grasp on the important bits.

I managed to learn Crusader Kings in this way, and learn enough of Europa Universalis to do stuff, but man Victoria is just on another level.

Anyway, in terms of the main topic, I also like it when games stuff a stupid amount of detail in places where they don't need to.  A good example of this is how the Super Robot Wars series will add special combat lines for characters when they use certain robots or certain special attacks, even if there's no good reason for them to be doing that.  For example, in Original Generation there's no good reason to ever swap Kyosuke out of the Alteisen or Excellen out of the Weissritter.  Beyond the fact that their piloting stats work extremely well in those robots (since they are both personal custom units), you can only use the dual attack Rampage Ghost when both units are piloted by their canonical pilot.  Rampage Ghost is easily the best attack in the entire game, and a lot of bosses become much more difficult if you don't have access to it, so tactically the best option is to leave Excellen in the Weissritter and Kyosuke in the Alteisen.

And yet, despite that, they gave custom lines for when Excellen and Kyosuke pilot other robots, and custom lines for when other characters pilot their robots.  I mean, here's a ten minute video of lines from just Excellen that you'd never see unless you went out of your way:

(That video also demonstrates why Excellen is the original Xiaomu).  And that's just a fraction of the extra lines.  It's not even all of Excellen's extra lines.

A lot of things. Good music, strong aesthetic, solidly based in its genre but unafraid to innovate, immersion, and most importantly, replayabilty.
Assassin's Creed Black Flag was a strong AssCreed that innovated for its series, the music was pretty good, I love piracy and all it entails helped draw me in.  
But fuck doing all those collectible shard missions. Haven't touched it since completion.