Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Rynjinstein, MD

In Which Rynjin Shills Himself

Haven't been around as much lately, posting-wise. I've still been lurking pretty regularly, but I've been busy with other stuff. For the last year or so I've been working as a freelance writer for all sorts of people, and really wanted to start writing fiction.

So I wanted to post what I've been working on for the last month and a half for everyone's enjoyment: Orphans

It's a web serial/novel I plan to update once a week, maybe twice going into the future. It's got martial arts, and stuff! Check it out, leave a like, comment, and subscribe or something like that. Tell me what I'm doing wrong and how my story killed your dog, I can take it as much as I tend to dish it out, you won't hurt me (too bad).

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dr. Rynjinstein, MD said:

It's got martial arts, and stuff!

fucking sold

EDIT: Just gonna drop my thoughts from my first impressions as some chucklefuck with full-time employment as a sifu/whatever the hell my dojang's equivalent is
1: Good idea using Kung Fu, namely five animals as your martial arts base - There's a lot of diversity in those combined arts which allows for a lot of freedom of explanation - Although I personally found it difficult to read my way through the initial combat scene. Maybe run it through with a friend while trying to keep a straight face.
2: The concept of some esoteric psychonaut-fu that lacks the usage of Qi automatically puts you in my good graces and tactfully covers the Qi energy field bullshit side of martial arts rather well
3: I have taught six-year-olds. The fact they managed to sit entirely silent for what in writing sounds like several hours is what most would consider a miracle. I need to learn this style of disciplinary action that hopefully doesn't involve a bamboo stick.

Edited by General DeGroot

You'll have to forgive any roughness/unrealism in the fighting. I don't have your expertise, and am just one of those people who likes kung fu movies and stuff. Any tips for improving on that aspect?

As for 3.), the newest chapter gives some hint on how that's achieved. It's probably not a technique you can put into use in your own life. =)

And back to 2.), I'm glad that's appreciated. First draft/outline of the story had your usual chi stuff but as cool as it is in wuxia movies and stuff, I've seen it all before, so wanted to try something a bit different.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Rynjinstein, MD said:

You'll have to forgive any roughness/unrealism in the fighting. I don't have your expertise, and am just one of those people who likes kung fu movies and stuff. Any tips for improving on that aspect?

Apart from pseudo-choreographing it irl, I'd search some sparring matches up online. For pure striking, do Karate and Kickboxing, for grappling do Judo and BJJ, and for a mix try Sambo and MMA. Kung Fu guys rarely spar as a rule.

Edited by General DeGroot